996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 +t?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:22 PM
BDKR is an unknown quantity at this point
996 +t?

My actually 2nd post here. LOL

I've been into RWD Turbo Volvo's for some time now. We refer to cars that have been turbocharged as "+T".

In this case, I'm looking at 996 C4's and am curious if people around here update them (+T them) with stuff from the 996 Turbo. On a Volvo 940 as an example, we just bolt on the turbo bits, update injectors, and swap in appropriate ECU's.

Not assuming it's as simple, but curious just the same.

Thanx!

Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 AM
orangeman is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you'll find that the actual turbos themselves can be had for around $15k more, and the LSX swapped cars are similarly priced, making a turbo kit a bit superfluous. That being said, buying a $15k 996.1 and a good affordable turbos kit at say <$8k could be a lot of fun. Narrow bodies for everyone!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by orangeman
I think you'll find that the actual turbos themselves can be had for around $15k more, and the LSX swapped cars are similarly priced, making a turbo kit a bit superfluous. That being said, buying a $15k 996.1 and a good affordable turbos kit at say <$8k could be a lot of fun. Narrow bodies for everyone!
I wouldn't bother spending the money on the actual turbos themselves. The most important parts are the exhaust manifolds. I could go from there with whatever turbos I want at a fraction of the cost.

When you get right down to it, bolting all that 'ish in and perhaps making some custom IC piping and some other related bits is easy. My biggest question/concern is fuel management. That question, made even more particular, is "are the ECU's interchangeable between turbo and non-turbo cars"?

Back to the Volvo analogy, you could literally just plug the ECU for a turbo car into the non-turbo one. The harnesses were usually 100% the same on LH 2.4 cars and about 90% the same on P80's (Motronic 4.3 went to using an electronic turbo control valve).

I'd imagine that 996 Turbo ECU's are probably bloody expensive anyway.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The 996 turbo engine is completely different from the 996 normally aspirated cars. I don't think you'll find that there's much crossover or plug-and-play compatibility.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
The 996 turbo engine is completely different from the 996 normally aspirated cars. I don't think you'll find that there's much crossover or plug-and-play compatibility.
Awesome! Thanx for the info about the engine.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Do a search on The M96 engine compared to the Mezger engine. Completely different.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2017, 08:14 PM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
I have turbo on my car 2000 carerra 4
I am enjoying for 6 years 15000 km with no problem. My car have TPC turbo kit.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
I would only do it if the car was diagnosed by a certified tech as having "low T"...

Old 02-21-2017, 02:31 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by markar
I have turbo on my car 2000 carerra 4
I am enjoying for 6 years 15000 km with no problem. My car have TPC turbo kit.
have you ever inquired with TPC if it can be re-tuned on higher octane fuel or e85? Just currious.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.