997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sport Chrono Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
911_ryno is on a distinguished road
Sport Chrono Package?

Was searching for the answer and couldnt find it, could someone tell me what the Sport Chrono Package does? Also is this it?:

Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
That is part of it. You only get the dash wart, I mean stopwatch, with Sports Chrono. Here is what the 2009 Turbo order guide states, although PDK is not available on the Turbo:
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
Analog and digital chronometer, sport button in the center console and
display in the PCM, also adds ability to adjust lighting, wipers, AC and door
locking to suit personal preference. In conjunction with PDK, includes
Sports Plus button in center console to activate launch control function
(Race start).
Sports Chrono is the must-have option on a Turbo.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Is it possible to remove the stopwatch on the dash but still keep sport button functional?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Slow4s has a spectacular aura aboutSlow4s has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 911_ryno
Is it possible to remove the stopwatch on the dash but still keep sport button functional?
Anything is possible if you have the money, you would need some custom work done or a whole new dash...

-Alex

Old 05-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Porsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the rough
Basically with the sport chrono, when you select the sport button and floor it. The torque of the car raises from around 450 to a whopping 500 for around 10 seconds. So yes, It is very important you have it as an option.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:10 AM
I think the sport button is a great feature, its definitely important to have it. But, the stop watch is an eyesore...I agree with sparkhill, it really does look like a dash wart

Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I just looked at what I copied from the order guide again and noticed that, as Porsche Boy pointed out, that the most important feature was not mentioned in the order guide. Sports Chrono allows 10 seconds of overboost. It is obviously an important performance feature.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
sport chrono - a must have.. At least on a TT.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
The alternative is forgo the sport chrono and tweek your ecu which will give you even better performance and no dashboard boils.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:10 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Don't have manual here with me but I seem to recall that one additional feature is that under "Sports" mode, the center differential sends more power to the rear, making the car behave more like a RWD car. For more "rotation"/power on oversteer in corners, therefore more "sporty" bahavior , I suppose.

This is why I like to have the Sports mode on, even when I don't feel the need for more boost/power.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
when does your extra power kick in for 10 seconds? When you press the sport button or when your RPM goes over 2000?

You're standing in a stop light and press sport button. You're standing on a break and increse the gas until light turns green. Then release break and take the RPM's over 2000? Right?

How about if you keep the sport button pressed all the time. Does the boost come in every time you take off from dead stop?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:20 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by W1N
when does your extra power kick in for 10 seconds? When you press the sport button or when your RPM goes over 2000?

You're standing in a stop light and press sport button. You're standing on a break and increse the gas until light turns green. Then release break and take the RPM's over 2000? Right?

How about if you keep the sport button pressed all the time. Does the boost come in every time you take off from dead stop?
It kicks in only under WOT, for 10 seconds, after the sport mode has been activated. The sport button needs to have been depressed, and if it's depressed while driving, you need to hit WOT for the sport setting to activate, or, take your foot off the accelerator. This is so the car does not "lurch" when you press the sport button while in motion.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:01 PM
wyo997 will become famous soon enoughwyo997 will become famous soon enough
I now have a 997TT with this "sport" option and the performance increase is apparent and incredible at 7,000-10,000 feet altitude where I live in Wyoming. The dash display shows turbo boost in normal and "sport", so I'm learning the difference (normal boost and overboost) with real data in front of my face. I'm amazed what doubling the overboost does for the 10 seconds you have it available. The torque slope-off at 5,000 rpm is instant, but if you shift and keep it floored, the engine is just as happy to pull in the next gear...and the next. The throttle response also quickens and the PSM suspension goes to sport. I don't have any desire to try a launch from a stoplight. I've got enough problems with local kids- without provoking them. I've only had the car two months. The only thing I've considered is attaching the GT2 intake manifold- but some of the postings here make that sound like a waste of time and money. This car is already faster and performs better than every Ferrari I've driven (all the new ones). You can see them at youtube (wyo550) or at http://www.wyo550.com

Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely

Originally Posted by sparkhill
I just looked at what I copied from the order guide again and noticed that, as Porsche Boy pointed out, that the most important feature was not mentioned in the order guide. Sports Chrono allows 10 seconds of overboost. It is obviously an important performance feature.
Right on, it the MUST have option. 10 seconds is a LONG time of extra boost - mostly between 3-4Lrpm. I've never got around to figuring out all the other options nor and I sure how you start and stop the clock when in warp speed.
K.
p.s Nice ride.