Upgraded Drop Link Kit for those of you with Bilstein Coil Overs - 6speedonline.com Forums

Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 997 Turbo / GT2
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

997 Turbo / GT2 2006–present Turbo discussion on the current model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored By SharkWerks, Inc

Upgraded Drop Link Kit for those of you with Bilstein Coil Overs

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

sharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond repute
sharkwerks sharkwerks alexsharkyross sharkwerks
Send a message via AIM to sharkster
Exclamation Upgraded Drop Link Kit for those of you with Bilstein Coil Overs

hey fellas this one is of interest to those of you with Bilstein Coilover kits on your 997TT... Over the last year or so we've talked to many shops and all of them have seen failures with the provided bilstein drop links. We've been installing similar kits on other AWD cars for over 6 years without one single failure but some point last year Bilstein decided to change the design of their drop links (perhaps due to cost?) and they are now a weak point. The plastic insert eventually pops out and comes apart.

The come apart like so:
Click the image to open in full size.

You can see Bilstein's older design as used on PSS9 kits from the past. Notice the end itself is a different design and much akin to OEM. With those we never had problems (ever). Funnily enough the PSS10 kits have now also reverted back to the old design again (thankfully).

Here's a picture showing the drop link design of "old" (that used to work and looks like OEM as well) vs the "new" which just isn't up to snuff:

Either way we brought this to RSS' attention (as they had also seen failures like this) and they've made a stronger (and adjustable for those sway bar kits) replacement kit. This kit is now available and I'd suggest checking your front drop links out.

Here's what the folks at RSS made for us (cheers lads):

Here's the orientation of them in case you are wondering (from bilstein's instructions):

For those of you with "noise" in the front area of your suspension go ahead and check to see if the drop links have failed. There's always hope that Bilstein will revert back to the older/OEM-style design that they used to use which never failed (indeed they did this on the PSS10 after enough complaints) but until then here's what you might end up needing:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=244
Email: alex@sharkwerks.com
*World-wide Shipping Available*

SharkWerks Porsches:
2011 Shark 4.1 GT3RS
2009 997S ZTADPOL
2007 997GT3 RS 3.9L ZKERMIT
2006 Cayman S RS350
Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 PM

NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
great write-up Alex and thanks for sharing. This is definitely an issue that affects a lot of modded P-Cars out there.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 PM

gmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond repute
are these failing with stock sways, aftermarket or both?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 PM

NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
G - these are affecting folks who have upgraded to the Bilstein B16s coilovers since you have to change the front droplinks(shorter ones are needed) regardless if you have OEM or aftermarket sways.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:36 PM

gmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond repute
ah, got it.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:28 PM

KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
hey fellas this one is of interest to those of you with Bilstein Coilover kits on your 997TT... Over the last year or so we've talked to many shops and all of them have seen failures with the provided bilstein drop links. We've been installing similar kits on other AWD cars for over 6 years without one single failure but some point last year Bilstein decided to change the design of their drop links (perhaps due to cost?) and they are now a weak point. The plastic insert eventually pops out and comes apart.

The come apart like so:

You can see Bilstein's older design as used on PSS9 kits from the past. Notice the end itself is a different design and much akin to OEM. With those we never had problems (ever). Funnily enough the PSS10 kits have now also reverted back to the old design again (thankfully).

Here's a picture showing the drop link design of "old" (that used to work and looks like OEM as well) vs the "new" which just isn't up to snuff:

Either way we brought this to RSS' attention (as they had also seen failures like this) and they've made a stronger (and adjustable for those sway bar kits) replacement kit. This kit is now available and I'd suggest checking your front drop links out.

Here's what the folks at RSS made for us (cheers lads):

Here's the orientation of them in case you are wondering (from bilstein's instructions):

For those of you with "noise" in the front area of your suspension go ahead and check to see if the drop links have failed. There's always hope that Bilstein will revert back to the older/OEM-style design that they used to use which never failed (indeed they did this on the PSS10 after enough complaints) but until then here's what you might end up needing:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=244
Do you have an upgrade for the coils too? i hope no one throws rocks at me here...
More mods on the way...
Old 08-31-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA 997TT View Post
Do you have an upgrade for the coils too? i hope no one throws rocks at me here...

KA - The first Texas limestone rock was just flung towards your direction.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 PM

KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
KA - The first Texas limestone rock was just flung towards your direction.
I felt it!!!!!
More mods on the way...
Old 08-31-2009, 06:26 PM

sparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond reputesparkhill has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Alex. Those broken Bilstein drop links look awfully familiar.

I received my new RSS drop links today. It is great for all of us that SharkWerks (Alex, Dan and James) worked with RSS (Bryan) to come up with a proper solution so quickly. The new drop links look like exactly what we all have been hoping for. The 996TT design drop links will be coming off this week. Thanks for the install diagram too. I sincerely appreciate all that SharkWerks has done for me and my 997TT.

I support SharkWerks because they support me.

Last edited by sparkhill; 08-31-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM

N2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond repute
I presume TA's are solid?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

sharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond reputesharkster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
are these failing with stock sways, aftermarket or both?
Actually most of the installations we do are with after market sways (TechArt, RSS etc...) but we've also had them fail with just factory sway bars. The older units that used different style ends held up just fine... Just these ones with the plastic blue ***** (hmm that came out wrong!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
G - these are affecting folks who have upgraded to the Bilstein B16s coilovers since you have to change the front droplinks(shorter ones are needed) regardless if you have OEM or aftermarket sways.
Exactly..... Spot on!
Quote:
LOL.... I won't argue with Moton Clubsports:P Had them on both my TT's!
Quote:
I felt it!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkhill View Post
Thanks Alex. Those broken Bilstein drop links look awfully familiar.

I received my new RSS drop links today. It is great for all of us that SharkWerks (Alex, Dan and James) worked with RSS (Bryan) to come up with a proper solution so quickly. The new drop links look like exactly what we all have been hoping for. The 996TT design drop links will be coming off this week. Thanks for the install diagram too. I sincerely appreciate all that SharkWerks has done for me and my 997TT.
Hey Sparkhill, seriously so glad to help and these will do the job:P It's a real pleasure and hopefully Bilstein will do what they did on the 996TT side, which is "Not" acknowledge a problem but then mysteriously change back to an OEM-style end

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2it View Post
I presume TA's are solid?
You're absolutely correct. The way they SHOULD be and hence never had a problem with those. Installed about 15 sets of the TechArt ones and a bunch of the Bilstein's back when they had the same OEM-style ends and none of those have ever failed but somewhere down the line they made this change (for the worse) et voila

SharkWerks Porsches:
2011 Shark 4.1 GT3RS
2009 997S ZTADPOL
2006 Cayman S RS350
Old 08-31-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Actually most of the installations we do are with after market sways (TechArt, RSS etc...) but we've also had them fail with just factory sway bars. The older units that used different style ends held up just fine... Just these ones with the plastic blue ***** (hmm that came out wrong!).

Exactly..... Spot on!

LOL.... I won't argue with Moton Clubsports:P Had them on both my TT's!

Hey Sparkhill, seriously so glad to help and these will do the job:P It's a real pleasure and hopefully Bilstein will do what they did on the 996TT side, which is "Not" acknowledge a problem but then mysteriously change back to an OEM-style end

You're absolutely correct. The way they SHOULD be and hence never had a problem with those. Installed about 15 sets of the TechArt ones and a bunch of the Bilstein's back when they had the same OEM-style ends and none of those have ever failed but somewhere down the line they made this change (for the worse) et voila
C'est formidable Mr. Ross. est ce que vous povais liser une histoire pour nous enfants de 6 speed online? forgot half my french...

anyways, I know there could be some serious improvements made to the shock itself. The ability to re-valve it for instance will be great as you increase the spring rate you need a different set up or you are stuck with what you get. it is a great set though for what you pay no doubt.
More mods on the way...
Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
C'est formidable Mr. Ross. est ce que vous povais liser une histoire pour nous enfants de 6 speed online? forgot half my french...

anyways, I know there could be some serious improvements made to the shock itself. The ability to re-valve it for instance will be great as you increase the spring rate you need a different set up or you are stuck with what you get. it is a great set though for what you pay no doubt.
LOL I love it! Been a while since I used my Francais....

I agree in terms of getting more out of these shocks. The Bilstein kit is pretty-much a good street-level set up that integrates really well with the PASM button. For serious track duty you just can't beat Motons/JRZs

SharkWerks Porsches:
2011 Shark 4.1 GT3RS
2009 997S ZTADPOL
2006 Cayman S RS350
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM

cannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond reputecannga has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
LOL I love it! Been a while since I used my Francais....

I agree in terms of getting more out of these shocks. The Bilstein kit is pretty-much a good street-level set up that integrates really well with the PASM button. For serious track duty you just can't beat Motons/JRZs
Yes and extra dental glue so denture & crown don't fall out in the process. It all depends on what your expected use of the car.

Kidding aside, thanks for another helpful and excellent thread. "Solid drop links go mainstream thanks to Sharkwerks!"

I would like to add that IMHO besides fixing the pop-out problem, a solid drop link itself has certain functional advantages that will come in handy especially for those who track the car. It increases the effectiveness of the sway bar and IMO does settle down the car a little bit. (Does increase cabin noise and stiffness though.)
GIAC Custom Tune - Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock: ECU Tune Recommendations
Cargraphic Exhaust - Deep THROATY V8 rumble & SCREAMS like a race car- OMG !!!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Yes and extra dental glue so denture & crown don't fall out in the process. It all depends on what your expected use of the car.

Kidding aside, thanks for another helpful and excellent thread. "Solid drop links go mainstream thanks to Sharkwerks!"

I would like to add that IMHO besides fixing the pop-out problem, a solid drop link itself has certain functional advantages that will come in handy especially for those who track the car. It increases the effectiveness of the sway bar and IMO does settle down the car a little bit. (Does increase cabin noise and stiffness though.)
Hey Cannga too funny and seriously our pleasure... It's a shame that they (brembo) decided to go that route on these drop links and so many shops I know of have seen this issue for months On the plus side it does give the folks at RSS a chance to use some of their trick machinery:P

As can said... these are more durable/strong and being adjustable a little easier on the geometry for adjustable sway bar kits

SharkWerks Porsches:
2011 Shark 4.1 GT3RS
2009 997S ZTADPOL
2006 Cayman S RS350

Last edited by sharkster; 09-01-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM

Tags
996tt, 997, adjustable, aftermarket, bilstein, coils, drop, droplinks, front, install, installation, instructions, link, links, porsche, rss, set, swaybar