997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

UPDATE: For Sharkwerks DIY ECU Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
UPDATE: For Sharkwerks DIY ECU Removal

Removing your ECU:

Sharkwerks has a great link on this procedure. However, they have left a few VERY IMPORTANT TIPS OUT.

1) Definitely read through the whole SW's link before getting started.

2) Once you are ready to start ROLL YOUR WINDOWS DOWN. If you don't, you won't be able to close your doors once you disconnect the battery because your windows won't automatically drop down a half inch or so when opening. When the windows are all the way up they hit the B-pillars, therefore the doors will not close.

3) With your front seats in their "normal" position, flip your seat backs in the forward position, like as in having access to your rear seats.

4) Now, move your seats all the way forward on the rails. This will give you the maximum amount of space in the rear to start the ECU removal process. If you slide them forward on the rails first the seat backs/headrest will hit the ceiling and sun visors before reaching the maximum forward position.

I placed a towel over the center console to protect the leather. You end up sitting right on this while working on removing the sub, carpet panel, etc. Also make sure you have bling free jeans on, else all those annoying buttons, zippers, and rivets will scratch up your leather interior.

^^^ You can see there is a fair amount of room back there once you have the seats all the way forward.

5) Now you are SAFE to disconnect the battery!

6) After disconnecting the battery I like to put something between the lead and the battery post just to ensure the connection will stay terminated throughout the course of the project.

7) VERY IMPORTANT!!!! DO NOT CLOSE YOUR TRUNK! You will never get it back open in unless you go through a PITA procedure of accessing a side electrical panel / fuse box located on the left side of the drivers footwell. If this happens, you will need a car battery and some mini jumper cables to give the vehicle enough power to release the front hood latch. See your owners manual, page 248 (for MY 2009). Don't ask how I know this ; (

^^^ I placed small hand towel over the latch to ensure no one would accidentally close the hood on me while I shipped my ECU out.

8) Okay, you are now ready to move forward with the Sharkwerks DIY link:

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html

9) Its very easy and quick...the longest part is reading the DIY link, understanding everything before you start and getting all your tools together. However, if you close your trunk lid add another 24 hours of F-factor on to your allotted time.

Its a piece of cake....and takes about 5 minutes to put everything back together once you get your ECU back!

Last edited by VID997; 09-23-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Very thorough write up. Look forward to reading about your thoughts on the upgraded ECU tune.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:14 AM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
Disconnecting the battery isn't that important IMHO, as long as the ignition has been off for a few minutes before you disconnect the ECU

Old 09-24-2011, 05:53 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
^^^ Does anyone else agree with GT2996TT? I have always been told to disconnect the battery on any vehicle, car, boat, motorcycle...etc before doing any electrical work to avoid shorting something out or arcing. Leaving the battery connected would be like working on your computer with the power cord still plugged into the wall and not grounding yourself first.

Seems risky IMHO. I prefer taking the proper precautionary steps (for insurance) over the risk of catastrophic failure and continued down time.

Anyone know for sure if you don't have to disconnect the battery?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I heard from another knowledgeable source just yesterday that you do not have to disconnect your battery to disconnect the ECU safely. That being said, I will disconnect my battery out of sheer paranoia since I know that nothing will be left to chance. Best wishes!