997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Whistle or Singing in Sixth Gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:53 AM
dougcarothers is on a distinguished road
Whistle or Singing in Sixth Gear

I have a 997 TT 2008 for 5 years now it always has singing noise when I am cruising in sixth gear when I apply a little gas. When I let up on the gas, it goes away. The dealership says this is not an issue. However, the noise is annoying. Does anyone know if I can do anything about this? (I presume that the tubo itself might be the center of the issue)

Old 11-22-2012, 06:08 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds more like a differential gear noise, or a gear noise in the transmission itself.

A stethoscope on a lift may help you pinpoint the source.

Mike

Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM
RedMile is a jewel in the roughRedMile is a jewel in the roughRedMile is a jewel in the rough
had that before and i was told its normal by porsche stealership

i changed the clutch and months later was driving home i noticed it's gone i dont know it disapperaed after i did the change cause i kinda got used to it but in that day and on im sure its gone ..

it was constant in my case once its 6th it was all about singing lol .. i dont know how the clutch is related but it was the only thing i changed recently ,,

my advice just have fun and ignore it, it will disappear too much care = lots of faults and malfunctions.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
could also be a bad bearing on the water pump, but those are more noticeable at slower speeds. in fact could be a bad bearing on any belt driven item for that matter. Took my tech 4 weeks and 2 dealer visists to diagnose my whistle noise (water pump bearing failure)...yeah I was pissed. I was a few days away from lawyering up as they kept blaming my exhaust.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Tgvr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same trouble ... When i bought my 97TT i heard this whistlement ( only in 6th Gear when i apple Gas too)

I though it was turbo sound but seems i m wrong... The sound is very close of a turbine sound but my first idea was it comes from a pressure leak somewhere

If its coming from a belt why doesnt it come only in 6th ?

I need help guys !

Old 07-26-2016, 01:09 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Try turning your PCM system off. Could be a bad ground somewhere and the whistle is actually coming from your speakers.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by mikestyle
Try turning your PCM system off. Could be a bad ground somewhere and the whistle is actually coming from your speakers.
Actually its coming from the back of the car... If i try to accelerate strongly.

Hère is a the noise in the first part of the video:

Old 08-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Don't hear any whisling noise in the clip.

Turn off the A/C and lower the cabin ventaliation fan speed to where the fan is off to see if this affects the noise.

Enlist the help of a friend and go for a drive and reproduce the noise and have the friend push on the side glass of the passenger door and you do the same to see if you can affect the noise.

Be sure the front trunk lid's leading edge is below the trailing edge of the front bumper cover. If the trunk lid is too high this can create a whistling noise at speed.

A noisy water pump bearing or an idler roller bearing generally makes noise at lower speeds, even idle with the car stationary.

With the engine off you can check the serpentine belt. Check for sharp edges. If you find a sharp edge this is a sign the belt is rubbing and it rubs because it is not tracking properly and it is not tracking properly because an accessory drive has excessive bearing play. You'll have to ID the accessory drive with the excessive play. Start at the water pump.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
Don't hear any whisling noise in the clip.

Turn off the A/C and lower the cabin ventaliation fan speed to where the fan is off to see if this affects the noise.

Enlist the help of a friend and go for a drive and reproduce the noise and have the friend push on the side glass of the passenger door and you do the same to see if you can affect the noise.

Be sure the front trunk lid's leading edge is below the trailing edge of the front bumper cover. If the trunk lid is too high this can create a whistling noise at speed.

A noisy water pump bearing or an idler roller bearing generally makes noise at lower speeds, even idle with the car stationary.

With the engine off you can check the serpentine belt. Check for sharp edges. If you find a sharp edge this is a sign the belt is rubbing and it rubs because it is not tracking properly and it is not tracking properly because an accessory drive has excessive bearing play. You'll have to ID the accessory drive with the excessive play. Start at the water pump.
Thanks for your answer.

The noise ( if you hear in the vidéo , its a short whistlement only when i start accelerating) comes only with the 6th gear + beyond 2800 rpm ( more or less) ( approximatively 135 km/h), .
If the Speed is stable , no noise , whatever the Speed or the rpm.

So for me , it cant be the Turbo (in that case the noise should come with every gear.))... Maybe the gearbox ( but it stops if i the Speed is stable )or the clutch ?

The waterpump is only linked to the rpm ? Not affected by the gear ?
My accessory belt has been changed and no effect on the noise...

Old 08-28-2016, 03:46 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tgvr6
Thanks for your answer.

The noise ( if you hear in the vidéo , its a short whistlement only when i start accelerating) comes only with the 6th gear + beyond 2800 rpm ( more or less) ( approximatively 135 km/h), .
If the Speed is stable , no noise , whatever the Speed or the rpm.

So for me , it cant be the Turbo (in that case the noise should come with every gear.))... Maybe the gearbox ( but it stops if i the Speed is stable )or the clutch ?

The waterpump is only linked to the rpm ? Not affected by the gear ?
My accessory belt has been changed and no effect on the noise...
In 6th gear and at 2800 and above it would be out of character for a water pump to make noise at that speed/RPMs.

Generally, if the water pump is bad and noisy (my Turbo's water pump was bad, leaking, but quiet) the water pump is noisy at idle. In the case of my Boxster it was quiet at engine start but as the engine idled the water pump got noisy, made a low rumbling sound.

In 6th gear and at 2800 RPMs and above that's where the engine should be making boost. I doubt it is a boost leak but it could be normal turbo noise. I have no time in a 997 Turbo and I don't hear any turbo noise from my 996 Turbo.

But if it is a boost leak or turbo noise you shoudl hear this in 5th gear or even 4th gear under the same conditions, RPM and boost conditions.

For both my cars, occasionally the tires "sing" on certain roads (or bridges) and the singing could be mistaken for a whistling noise.

You sure it is not cabin wind noise? 6th gear and 2800 RPMs is a pretty good highway speed and wind noise can be a problem.

About all I can offer then is have an experienced Porsche tech sample the noise and listen to what he has to say.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:36 AM
I m still stuck with this matter...

I m sure its not coming from:
PCM
Wind
Serpentine

It only comes in 6th gear ... So i think it could be a problem with the clutch ?

What do you think about that ?

Or maybe its coming from me... And that noise is normal?