997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Protomotive tuned 997.1 E85 Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Protomotive tuned 997.1 E85 Results

I took my car to T1 Race Development in DFW today for a little dyno session. I've known Tony for years, and although not generally known in the Porsche world he is one of the best Motec/GTR tuners in the world. He hosts the Motec USA sponsored EFI classes, and now specializes in Nissan GTRs. It's a first class operation up there. There were at least 8-10 GTRs in the shop when I was there that were 1000whp+ cars.

Anyway, he has a Mainline (Australian) AWD dyno nicknamed the Heartbreaker, as Mainlines tend to read the lowest compared to a Mustang, or a Dynojet. When my car was basically stock with a Europipe exhaust and BMC air filter it made 400.2 on his dyno. He also has a Dynojet, so he has quite a bit of experience in running his own GTR in 2WD on the Dynojet, and in AWD on the Mainline.

When pulling my car onto the Dyno the last runs numbers were still on the screens, displaying 1162hp. According to Tony the Mainline reads about 15-17% lower than his Dynojet, so you do the math. His GTRs are TT Lambo slayers.

My car now has a Europipe exhaust, 997.2 Intercoolers, Sachs 2.5/764 clutch, Bosch 80lbs injectors, Bosch 5bar FPR, and a BMC Air filter. The car is running E85 with tuning by Todd Knighton @ Protomotive.

My car made a best of 587hp and 568ft. lbs! When you consider the minimal modifications and E85 it's really amazing. I have a set of AMS turbo inlet pipes that are going on the car soon for testing, I'll post a review and the dyno curves on those once I get them tested. I have a feeling that the inlet pipes are going to be a big improvement, it's amazing how small the factory inlet pipes are. It definitely appears to be Porsche's equivalent of a restrictor plate.

The bench racer in me thought the car would probably make ~550whp on a Mustang Dyno, I was not expecting ~590awhp on the Mainline at all. It is probably 620+ on a Mustang, and around 680 on a Dynojet if the conversion factor between 911 Turbo and GTR holds true. Those are very favorable numbers to expensive upgraded VTGs, Intercoolers, Y-pipes, plenums, etc. on pump gas. E85 and Todd's tuning really shine here.

Here's a video of the first pull, it made 578 on this one right after I arrived. We let the car cool off for a bit and saw the 587 peak number.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Liquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of light
Bosch 5bar FPR meaning fuel pressure regulator? That is not a lot of mods for that much hp!

Very impressive!!!

May I ask what your boost is at? And what the stock boost level is?

Have you done a 60-130 yet? Would love to know what you run!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Najis997 is just really niceNajis997 is just really niceNajis997 is just really niceNajis997 is just really nice
you have stock turbos?? or upgraded VTGs? and yes please do let us know how you turbo inlet pipes will work!?

Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 AM
dewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant future
Europipe 1 or 2?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rix
My car now has a Europipe exhaust, 997.2 Intercoolers, Sachs 2.5/764 clutch, Bosch 80lbs injectors, Bosch 5bar FPR, and a BMC Air filter. The car is running E85 with tuning by Todd Knighton @ Protomotive.

My car made a best of 587hp and 568ft. lbs! When you consider the minimal modifications and E85 it's really amazing.
This is so damn cool, almost a 200hp from baseline is truly inspiring for other tt owners!

I am going to dyno my car tomorrow before putting an Kline on it, want to dyno between each mod. My hope is to do the exact same mods as you've done!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
What is peak boost and how much taper towards redline?

Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Hmm I didn't know Tony would dyno our cars. I guess I'll have to go up there and have him do a pull for me.
Oh.. and you and I need to meet on 121 and experiment... :-)
Very impressive #s, glad we steered you the right direction with ToddK and the corn juice!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Great numbers! Tonys dyno reads so low, so for stock turbos and E85 that's impressive. Time to get us some 60-130 #'s, weather is finally good for it!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Nice Dan! E85 is king! Great tuning and hp/tq ratio.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'm really pleased with the way the car is running.

Peak boost was 22psi @ 3500rpm, which held pretty steady to 5000rpm where it was about 21.6. From there it falls pretty rapidly down to 19psi at 6000rpm, and
17psi by 7000rpm. I need bigger turbos, which will be coming relatively soon once I finish testing the AMS inlet pipes. I expect with upgraded turbos to be able to hold 22psi+ to the rev limiter with cooler compressor outlet temps. I'm undecided on what turbos to go with. I would like to do Alpha 28's but I'm not sure if the extra headroom would be beneficial to me given that I am running on the stock engine. VTG upgrades are cheaper as well as simpler, and I'm a big fan of simple. I would also need a Y-Pipe, Blow-Off Valves (diverter in Porsche speak), and a boost controller if doing the Alpha 28s. At that point I will swap to the AMS or Protomotive intercoolers if the 997.2 intercoolers are having trouble with IATs.

I'm running the Protomotive Bosch 80lbs injector kit, and a Bosch 5 bar fuel pressure regulator (FPR) purchased from Protomotive directly. Since Todd is the one tuning my car, I wanted to be sure to be using his fuel components to make sure that the injector and fueling calibrations in the ECU were dead on. I would have liked to use Injector Dynamics injectors (Tony/T1 are the parent company/partners in Injector Dynamics) but I went with the Bosch injectors for the above reasons.

These are stock turbos, stock inlet pipes, stock airbox, etc. The exhaust is a Europipe EP1 with the 100 cell cats intact. I have been very careful with the mods to the car and up until now have only done what I felt was the minimum necessary. You can see in the video that my engine bay has nothing obvious different about it other than the BMC air filter. I would say you probably don't need the air filter upgrade at all, from AMS's testing I believe they used the stock filter.

As for 60-130 I know that's what everyone around here likes to see, but I don't have a P-Box (or immediate access to one) so I'm not sure when I'll be able to do them. I can probably take a datalog with Durametric and compare timestamps for 60mph and 130mph to get in the ballpark. If I log only RPM and Speed for example I should be able to get enough samples to get a pretty accurate time. Have people on here done that before? Or is the P-Box really the only accepted way to get the times? I'd have to find a very flat section of road because my datalog wouldn't show incline, that's about the only problem that immediately springs to mind.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Any 60-130 times wont be "official" without a P-box, but for yourself it should be good enough looking at a log.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 PM
rix
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Hmm I didn't know Tony would dyno our cars. I guess I'll have to go up there and have him do a pull for me.
Oh.. and you and I need to meet on 121 and experiment... :-)
Very impressive #s, glad we steered you the right direction with ToddK and the corn juice!
Yes, I'm glad you convinced me to go the E85 route. It had been in the back of my head for a while but it all became clear after talking with you about it. I'm not sure if my car is a freak or what, I'll be real interested to see what yours does on the Mainline. His new shop is in Rockwall, I can probably sneak down there and meet you when you go.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Below 997.1 turbo's compressor chart, flow in m^3/s:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	655623d1344755286-ultimate-vtg-engines-2277vgt-compressor-map.jpg
Views:	2990
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	294992  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Very impressive numbers!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Outstanding especially with your minimal mods. Is there a dyno graph you can post?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive tuned 997.1 E85 Results