997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

On route to a PROPER handling Porsche 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:17 PM
snaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to behold
damn i have damptronic b16 as well , but they are working ok for me. those rss parts i wish i had!

Old 05-27-2015, 11:11 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Can you post a link to the Numeric Racing Transmission mounts as I can't seem to find it on their page. Thanks.
Looks like they sell it as a package now.
I'm sure you will be able to get them separately.

http://numericracing.com/store/#!/Nu...egory=12247284

Originally Posted by snaketits
damn i have damptronic b16 as well , but they are working ok for me. those rss parts i wish i had!
If they work, then don't worry about it. Cannga swears by them, he probably bathes in Bilstein oil ...so unless you get a PASM error or start to hear the things I'm hearing - don't worry.

Here's the kicker, I have so many suspension "accessories" that fit the B16's it makes finding something else (like the B8's with GMG springs) that much more of a tough choice. added to that, there aren't many opinions on them. whether its a good choice, long term. No comparisons on driving dynamics B8 vs B16.

I do have to change my B16's out irrespective - tonight I got a clunking noise for the first time out of the rear. So I'm actually toying with the idea of just buying a new set of B16's and almost thinking that the batch I got were just real bad lemons! They also have 20,000km on them.

KW V3's would be the other alternative, but I like the idea of the TPC DSC module and the PASM functionality.

Last edited by pureporsche; 05-27-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
This may sound crazy but, do you have your stock shocks?

I would through those back in and continue your research. I have the stock shock setup and H&R springs. Car turns very well.

Is it springs or, tires? Maybe good tires and the TPC is the answer?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:11 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1
This may sound crazy but, do you have your stock shocks?

I would through those back in and continue your research. I have the stock shock setup and H&R springs. Car turns very well.

Is it springs or, tires? Maybe good tires and the TPC is the answer?
No, I got rid of the stock shocks

Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Here's the kicker, I have so many suspension "accessories" that fit the B16's it makes finding something else (like the B8's with GMG springs) that much more of a tough choice. added to that, there aren't many opinions on them. whether its a good choice, long term. No comparisons on driving dynamics B8 vs B16.

I do have to change my B16's out irrespective - tonight I got a clunking noise for the first time out of the rear. So I'm actually toying with the idea of just buying a new set of B16's and almost thinking that the batch I got were just real bad lemons! They also have 20,000km on them.

KW V3's would be the other alternative, but I like the idea of the TPC DSC module and the PASM functionality.
Hello Pureporsche, this is pure nuts.

Kidding aside, I am only trying to help here ok. You have been through what, 3 Bilstein shocks, the front differential is shot, there is noise, etc., etc. There are several other suspension components also changed in the car. Nothing is perfect, and people do have problem with Bilstein, but continuously so? I don't believe so. There is something else wrong with your car. What it is, who knows?

Common sense would mean one of these 2 things - *immediately*:
1. Cut your loss, move back to stock. Buy from ebay, buy from owners here, etc. How much could it cost you, for all the aggravation? IMHO, this is the very first step, as Elite1 has suggested.
2. Cut your loss, move to non PASM shock. Many choices: KW V3, Bilstein B16 PSS10, Ohlins.

3-4 failures now and you are still toying with the Damptronic? This is crazy man - sorry but IMHO this is blindly forging ahead without a plan. There is something wrong with your car, possibly in the electronic brain, possibly at at the shock, possibly elsewhere, who knows at this point. THE cheapest way to approach this is to move back to stock, or to move to non PASM shock and see if the problem goes away. If your tech doesn't agree with this, please fire him :-).

Last edited by cannga; 05-28-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by cannga
Hello Pureporsche, this is pure nuts.

Kidding aside, I am only trying to help here ok. You have been through what, 3 Bilstein shocks, the front differential is shot, there is noise, etc., etc. There are several other suspension components also changed in the car. Nothing is perfect, and people do have problem with Bilstein, but continuously so? I don't believe so. There is something else wrong with your car. What it is, who knows?

Common sensewould mean one of these 2 things - *immediately*:
1.Cut your loss, move back to stock. Buy from ebay, buy from owners here, etc. How much could it cost you, for all the aggravation? IMHO, this is the very first step, as Elite1 has suggested.
2. Cut your loss, move to non PASM shock. Many choices: KW V3, Bilstein B16 PSS10, Ohlins. Think about it and cut the loss and aggravation *now*.

3-4 times now and you are still toying with the Damptronic? You are crazy man. There is something wrong with your car, possibly in the electronic brain, possibly at at the shock, possibly elsewhere, who knows at this point. THE cheapest way to approach this is to move back to stock, or to move to non PASM shock and see if the problem goes away. If your tech doesn't agree with this, please fire him :-).
LOL crazy maybe... glutton for punishment, probably...

But disagree with the generalization that there is something "else" wrong.
Suspension is not rocket science - just junior math.
The PASM control unit is a brand new one, actually when one of the B16's failed (electronically) it shorted it out so I needed to replace it.

I am wondering if I just got a real, real bad set of shocks, worse than your average bad set, and the Bilstein guys are just patching those up and doing a poor job, every time I send them for repairs. That's the more likely scenario.

In any case, I'm going to pull these B16's out and the best candidate for replacement right now are: B8's + GMG + TPC DSC, still cheaper than the crap-steins and probably better handling/performance and drivability, although that's pure speculation. Mind you - in my mind a set of round boulders "flint-stone-style" is better than the B16's I currently have LOL. SO what ever decision it's going to be for the better (I hope).

Just need to figure out if my other components need to be replaced if I go to this setup - tarett drop links, and camper plates.

Last edited by pureporsche; 05-28-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
1. In any case, I'm going to pull these B16's out and the best candidate for replacement right now are: B8's + GMG + TPC DSC, still cheaper than the crap-steins and probably better handling/performance and drivability, although that's pure speculation. Mind you - in my mind a set of round boulders "flint-stone-style" is better than the B16's I currently have LOL. SO what ever decision it's going to be for the better (I hope).

Just need to figure out if my other components need to be replaced if I go to this setup - tarett drop links, and camper plates.
1. Yes! Agreed - if only partially. The best way IMHO is to go back to stock as elite1 has suggested, but B8 is also a good idea. This (switch to a non PASM shock) is a no-brainer move and should have been advised by your tech a long long time ago. After the second failure the tech should have stepped back and thought "HMMMM....." instead of continuing to change and charge you $$$. If he has not said anything otherwise, I would fire him; honestly.

2. IMHO:
No, not a good idea at all. Particularly in your car with seemingly so many problems/failures going on, you need to approach this one step at a time, and I don't mean adding things. I mean taking things apart and reversing to stock, one by one until there is some idea of what is going on.

Remember suspension components are inter-related, if one of the suspension arm or its bushing is locked up or bent for example, it could easily destroy the damper. And yes I have seen bent components with some of the companies you are listing. I won't discuss much more because I know it's frustrating for you, but after 3-4 failures, that's the ONLY logical conclusion - there is something else going on. But I mean to help, not argue, so let's agree to disagree.

Last edited by cannga; 05-28-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 PM
If they work, then don't worry about it. Cannga swears by them, he probably bathes in Bilstein oil ...so unless you get a PASM error or start to hear the things I'm hearing - don't worry.

Pureporsche, I do hear the cry for help, calling me from deep down the bowels of the Bilstein oil container. I think a little clarification might help here. The accessories, I assume you mean the links, bushings, etc., are not made specifically for Bilstein B16, whether you mean sway bar, rear toe link, dog bones, etc. The only components that connect to the coilover directly is the drop link, and that connection point is adjustable. All others connect frame to frame, nothing to do with the coilover.

Within reasons, all these components work with all the coilovers that are designed for Turbo, whether you have B16, B8, Ohlins, KW, etc. So IMHO there is no need to fret; you could safely move to B8. BTW, this is really such a basic question I don't know why your tech couldn't tell you.

Last edited by cannga; 05-29-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 AM
ilhan997 can only hope to improve
i have been using the Bilstein B16 DampTronic kit with (PASM). done more than 30.000km with no problems what so ever. they ride well on every condition both track and daily drive.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
In my opinion adding/exchanging more parts *****-nilly is a bad idea. You need to actually troubleshoot the problem before adding more variables/complexity.

-Jose

Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by jjurroz
In my opinion adding/exchanging more parts *****-nilly is a bad idea. You need to actually troubleshoot the problem before adding more variables/complexity.

-Jose
Well the shocks have to go.
If they go, and replaced with a different shock, then the longer tarett drop links that I'm currently using, will potentially need to be replaced too. People think it's that simple, but in reality multiple components may need to be replaced, which is what I'm trying to understand.

I don't want to be piecing it together while on a lift.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:06 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
you're still not understanding. Don't add or change anything. Even going stock. What I'm saying is, take apart everything and inspect everything. Track down the issue. Once you identify the problem, you come up with a plan.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by jjurroz
you're still not understanding. Don't add or change anything. Even going stock. What I'm saying is, take apart everything and inspect everything. Track down the issue. Once you identify the problem, you come up with a plan.
Very academic... however in reality, as this is a daily driver, not so much.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:52 PM
So maybe I’m nuts, but I just got a sweet deal on a completely new set of B16’s, cheaper than B8’s with springs – from a local friend. I’m going to throw these in and see what changes, leaving everything else the same.

Truth be told, I spent soooooo much time getting my setup PERFECT, the thought of changing to a completely new spring and strut setup is a little disconcerting.

With all that said, it’s a gamble – so it’s very possible you may see me on this thread again in a few months, once again cursing bloody bilsteins! LOL
…or maybe not :P

Old 05-30-2015, 08:34 AM
So maybe I’m nuts, but I just got a sweet deal on a completely new set of B16’s, cheaper than B8’s with springs – from a local friend. I’m going to throw these in and see what changes, leaving everything else the same.
Truth be told, I spent soooooo much time getting my setup PERFECT, the thought of changing to a completely new spring and strut setup is a little disconcerting.
With all that said, it’s a gamble – so it’s very possible you may see me on this thread again in a few months, once again cursing bloody bilsteins! LOL
…or maybe not :P
Brand new set from a "local friend"? Unless this friend is an authorized dealer, doesn't this mean there will be no warranty from this shock? You are willing to do that at this point?

PASM failure could likely be an electronic, not mechanical problem. If indeed your car had 3 straight failures (nearly an impossibility in a functioning system), I am afraid the implication is that there is either a short, or an electronic problem somewhere that is *still* there. Putting in another system would just result in another failure.

Honestly, there is something sort of wild about this whole story that confuses me, but regardless, I hope that it works out for you this time. if it doesn't, remember there are 4 non-PASM alternatives that you could move to that likely will solve your problem instantly: KW V3, Ohlins, Bilstein B8, Bilstein B16 PSS10.

Last edited by cannga; 05-30-2015 at 08:49 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: On route to a PROPER handling Porsche 997 Turbo