997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need help deciding between a 997.2tt vs. C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 PM
sshu930 is on a distinguished road
Need help deciding between a 997.2tt vs. C7 Z06

I was planning on buying a CPO 997.2tt but the new C7 Z06 caught my eye. Just some info on me, it will be my third car which will not be driven daily and I live in So Cal so the weather is generally mild and sunny. I have a family with 2 young kids(2 & 5) and I'm with my family a lot. I am not a track rat but may go once or twice a year. I spent some time in my friends C6 Z and I love the engine and overall package. The 911tt has always been my dream car but I don't mind waiting. The 997.2tt is slightly more practical since I can stuff the kids in the back and I would love to own a proper dual clutch system. I know this is a porsche board but I know you guys also have an appreciation for a bad *** car like the C7 Z. Input is appreciated.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
I would suggest just getting the C7 Z06 now if it has caught your eye. Then wait a few years and get a 991 when it is halfway through the product cycle and (more) affordable. There's something about having the current model car that is always attractive...

Old 08-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Adam D is on a distinguished road
I am also interested in the response from people on this board. I am in a very similar situation as you, this will be my third car, although my kids are 1 and 3. I have previously owned a c6 z06. While a great car it had many down sides. I actually wrote off getting the new z and had my mind set on a 997 TT, especially with the family. But then the pictures leaked of the z and man it is sexy. I believe I am still leaning towards the 997 as I will use it fairly often in summers only, visiting clients and so on... Thinking the new z may be a little too much for a summer daily car. I have only ever driven a 2007 tt with tip. Great car but I will either go manual or pdk.

Honestly tho, can you really going wrong with either choice???

Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 AM
Sobrut911 is on a distinguished road
I had an 08 Z06 which is a great car, but it just didn't rock my world. The 997.2tts is my vote. My reasons: love the looks, timeless design, AWD, PDK, turbo boost/rush, handling, great daily driver (18,000 miles), can squeeze the kids in the back, reliability,and last but not least, there is no substitute.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:52 AM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Have two C6Z on my garage in the past and IMHO there are two different beasts, 997TT is more refine and practical car, the Z is a raw supercar with all you need for a weekend warrior... If I was you I wait and test drive the C7Z (it have a lot of changes vs the C6Z) just to make sure that this beast is what you really want and need

Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
It depends what matters to you.

Both cars have fantastic performance. I'd say that the Porsche will get off the line quicker but the Z06 would be faster everywhere else in terms of acceleration. Z06 will also be much better at the track. The 997.2 turbo handling stock is not good in my opinion...so it needs additional $$$ to make it track friendly. The front end gets very "bouncy" and it's hard to dial that out. It makes the track experience very "white knuckle" at the limits.

Both cars are generally impractical but it sounds like you are just looking to have some fun most of the time. So it just boils down to whether you want to spend more $$ and be driving and seen in a used Porsche which yes is timeless but kinda looks blah (IMHO) or whether you want to be in a new Z06. Vette's have a certain stigma and sometimes guys that are die-hard into Euro cars wouldn't be seen in one.

Cheers.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
My opinion is: The Vette is probably a better value for the dollar. The Turbo is more refined and if you buy the 997.2 (obviously used) you more than likely will do better with depreciation.
Join us at one of the 1/2 mile events and ask to ride along, I think you would like the interior space of the Porsche vs Vette. Compare the 997.1, 997.2 and the Z06 for interior space and noise, overall power and refinement. There are many examples of these at the 1/2 mile races.
I'll let you ride in my 997.1 (bring a helmet)

Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sshu930
I was planning on buying a CPO 997.2tt but the new C7 Z06 caught my eye. Just some info on me, it will be my third car which will not be driven daily and I live in So Cal so the weather is generally mild and sunny. I have a family with 2 young kids(2 & 5) and I'm with my family a lot. I am not a track rat but may go once or twice a year. I spent some time in my friends C6 Z and I love the engine and overall package. The 911tt has always been my dream car but I don't mind waiting. The 997.2tt is slightly more practical since I can stuff the kids in the back and I would love to own a proper dual clutch system. I know this is a porsche board but I know you guys also have an appreciation for a bad *** car like the C7 Z. Input is appreciated.
Back on topic. I have 2 kids. A vette would get a fraction of the use the turbo does because of the versatility. The looks will wear thin if you don't drive it as much. Check my .1 versus .2 comparison thread. Most people feel that porsche dialed out much of the loose front end issues with the update. The PASM suspension is MUCH better. You'll see a lot fewer owners running coilovers, although car ages has something to do with it. Good luck with the decision!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:55 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
I have driven quite a few of the Z51 C7 Vettes and was frankly a bit miffed.. had trouble getting power down, had some rattles n shakes and some plastic bits which look just awful and the gearbox was just okay. The new Z06 is supposed to be a real beast though and I thought of buying one but the BS you need to go thru just to look at one at a showroom is insane.

I am looking at used 12Cs and am tuning a recently bought 996 TTS instead of wasting my hard earneds on a Z06. I had a 997.1 2009 6MT for a short while, awesome car... if you want PDK go for a 997.2.

GM Chevy can go eff themselves.

FWIW - my family, uncles, best friends parents, my dad, brother and almost everyone we knew as kids worked at GM (Holden). My Dad worked at GM in Germany, UK, Aus and Japan. He would be miffed by their current sales practices.

I will update as I have a local guy in NY who owns a Chevy dealer who will let me drive a Z06 when he gets one... took months for the basic C7's to come in and then they were flooded with them. The Porsche will handle better for 2 kids as well :-)

Old 08-28-2014, 02:22 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
FWIW I had a friend with a C6 Z06 w/ the Z07 package, pretty much the most expensive thing GM sells short of a ZR-1. He got absolutely HORRIBLE service. The car literally spent 4 out of 5 months he owned it in the shop because it kept throwing belts. Turns out it was probably the crank pulley, but we never found out for sure because he returned it under lemon law. Made me damn wary of buying a GM product.

The suggestion above about a MP4-12C is the best option I've heard yet .

Last edited by rix; 08-28-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Personally I would get the C7 Z07. Just looked at it again at Carlisle and talked to the engineers. It will be a brute!

Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor
Emmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuele Design has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche:

- More usable on street
- Better quality of materials
- Back seat
- Will hold value better

Z06:

- Faster out of the box
- Visually more flashy
- More exciting in stock form

In stock form, personally I would take the Z06. I just don't think a bone stock 997.2 is all that exciting, as it is pretty quiet and well mannered. The Z06 is a more "white-knuckle" experience. If you plan to modify either car, you can definitely turn the 997.2 into a different animal that will get the blood boiling a bit more. Factor in the better build quality and rear seats and I feel the Porsche could become a better option for you.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rix
FWIW I had a friend with a C6 Z06 w/ the Z07 package, pretty much the most expensive thing GM sells short of a ZR-1. He got absolutely HORRIBLE service. The car literally spent 4 out of 5 months he owned it in the shop because it kept throwing belts. Turns out it was probably the crank pulley, but we never found out for sure because he returned it under lemon law. Made me damn wary of buying a GM product.

The suggestion above about a MP4-12C is the best option I've heard yet .
Thats is my concern and my short time in a chevy dealership I experienced the worst customer service. Idiot GM in his cheap assed suit trying to tell me how great his stingray was. He actually looked up my car as a trade in and stuttered and stammered about it and said if I "fake ordered" he would let me test drive. He has 10 stingrays in the dealership and kept telling me all the people that would buy them in a second.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
There are Porsche guys and there are 'Vette guys, and the two rarely overlap. which are you? if you are one of the few who could genuinely go either way (and be satisfied) then the utility of the Porsche appears to better suit your needs (family). Keep in mind that you could have a loaded new C7 Z06 for 2/3 the price of a low mileage CPO .2 TT, and the 'Vette will likely more than meet your needs performance-wise and looks!!

My $0.02 says go with the Porsche (not because this is a Porsche forum) because I believe it is the better "all-around" car. The perfect mix of performance, utility, low maintenance (solid build quality), classic looks and heritage. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by akunob
There are Porsche guys and there are 'Vette guys, and the two rarely overlap. which are you? if you are one of the few who could genuinely go either way (and be satisfied) then the utility of the Porsche appears to better suit your needs (family). Keep in mind that you could have a loaded new C7 Z06 for 2/3 the price of a low mileage CPO .2 TT, and the 'Vette will likely more than meet your needs performance-wise and looks!!

My $0.02 says go with the Porsche (not because this is a Porsche forum) because I believe it is the better "all-around" car. The perfect mix of performance, utility, low maintenance (solid build quality), classic looks and heritage. Good luck!
+1 When I think about the Z06 I keep asking what am U really upgrading??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding between a 997.2tt vs. C7 Z06