997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Best way to do 60-130 with a MT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:00 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Best way to do 60-130 with a MT?

Will try to go out with the vbox but I started wondering what is best? Is it to start in third gear and have one shift or just do it all in 4th?

Old 09-21-2014, 12:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
The best way is to run high 5s on stock turbos with bolt ons

Hope that helps haha.

Mitch

Old 09-21-2014, 01:12 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Will try to go out with the vbox but I started wondering what is best? Is it to start in third gear and have one shift or just do it all in 4th?
Depends on the setup, and how fast you shift. 60-130 times are as much technique as anything else. I like 60-100 because that's pretty much a mash it in third and hold on measurement.

I would suggest doing both, and seeing how fast you shift. If you can take a datalog. Measure the amount of time it takes to go from full throttle, off throttle, and back on again. You can also measure boost recovery time in a similar fashion as a metric. Then compare your shift times to others to get an idea of where you stand. It should be pretty clear based on rate of acceleration in 3rd vs. 4th as to whether it's worth it to take the shift penalty. Unless you're running big Garrett GT turbos it is probably quicker to use third.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:59 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xbox_fan

I assume your rev limiter is 7200rpm. BTW, congrats on the amazing 60-100mph time.

In order to compare results I've done the same thing each time - let speed go down to about 50-55mph (others have said go even lower) in 4th and then mash the throttle. Try it both ways - start in 3rd gear 45-50mph and hit it, then shift into 4th around 6500rpm (maybe even a little lower on stock vtgs).

60-130 numbers don't necessarily correlate with a roll-on race win. If you do a roll-on starting at 59mph you'll find that your 60-130 will be 0.5-1 second higher. But I guess the point of the 60-130 is to compare numbers so perhaps the technique is irrelevant. I have a pbox thread that needs updating that shows times for different speed intervals that correlates with roll-on performance. I will update the thread soon.

good luck - let us know how you do.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:24 AM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
dont brake boost 4th gear down low if your stock rod big power!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:29 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
I am on stock vtg's will try both!

Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Can't wait to see the numbers good luck!
-Mitch

Old 09-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
The best way to run the times depends on the turbo setup, transmission and how the power band looks like. For OEM VTGs I'd say 3rd gear 45mph, shift at 6.2-6.3k rpm provided that you've been tuned for max area under the curve

Would love to see high 5s on OEM VTGs! Good luck out there and be safe!

Dzenno@PTF/PTG

Old 09-21-2014, 05:43 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
I didn't found the best way eather with my PDK...

Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
The best way to run the times depends on the turbo setup, transmission and how the power band looks like. For OEM VTGs I'd say 3rd gear 45mph, shift at 6.2-6.3k rpm provided that you've been tuned for max area under the curve

Would love to see high 5s on OEM VTGs! Good luck out there and be safe!

Dzenno@PTF/PTG
Thanks, as soons as the weather permits I'll test 3rd and an earlier shift.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 AM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
The best way is to run high 5s on stock turbos with bolt ons

Hope that helps haha.

Mitch
No way IMHO with pumpgas,
High 6s is more realistic

Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Xbox is doing 2.8 seconds 60 to 100 mph, those of us doing 3.2 secs 60 to 100 are doing 7.1-7.2 secs 60 to 130 mph in 85F+ temps, so low 6.xx is possible on the corn juice with the VTG

Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K24F
No way IMHO with pumpgas,
High 6s is more realistic
I say even low 7s... its not that easy unless your doing something to the car we do not know about... like E85 with big turbos or TIP with a trans job and a TCU remap etc... and if its a manual you really have to have a strong clutch, lots octane, and max out the boost..... problem is that vtgs do not pull up on top and the exhaust temps get high... car goes into limp mode and dumps fuel to protect itself.. you can remap that but thats dangerous of course...
good luck and be safe....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
Xbox is doing 2.8 seconds 60 to 100 mph, those of us doing 3.2 secs 60 to 100 are doing 7.1-7.2 secs 60 to 130 mph in 85F+ temps, so low 6.xx is possible on the corn juice with the VTG
7.1-7.2 I believe, but in 85+ temps? really? What tune and supporting mods?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:53 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
"3rd + 4rth" or "4rth only" method depends of your power curve.
"4rth only" with VTGs because of their "poor" top end.

With pumpgas (pure) and my 66VTGs my best 60-130 was 6,75' by 05°C AT (in 4rth only), average 6,9'.
With the Protomotive turbo kit (Garett), still with pure pumpgas the best times are 6,2-6,3' @1,35Bar, same times with the both methods.
But with E85 and 1,5Bar (ultra conservative tune) times low to 5,3' with 3rd +4rth method only because the top end improves more with boost.

Ps:We are bolting the pinned Proto cams this week (P0021 repair), the top end might improve again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best way to do 60-130 with a MT?