997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Do all high flow exhausts throw a CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:01 PM
cam99 will become famous soon enoughcam99 will become famous soon enough
Do all high flow exhausts throw a CEL

Do all high flow catalytic converters throw a CEL?

I just changed my exhaust and before I button it up I got to thinking.
If they do, do I tune ECU just to delete cats? Will the Durametric do that?
Raise O2 levels? Will Durametric do that?
Or should I put spacers on the O2 Bungs?

Any insight will be appreciated

Old 09-30-2014, 02:35 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cam99
Do all high flow catalytic converters throw a CEL?

I just changed my exhaust and before I button it up I got to thinking.
If they do, do I tune ECU just to delete cats? Will the Durametric do that?
Raise O2 levels? Will Durametric do that?
Or should I put spacers on the O2 Bungs?

Any insight will be appreciated
AFAIK (I tried both high-flow 200cell catts and now cattless).

Durametric cant do anything with regards to changing monitors etc

A tune can turn off the monitors that causes the CELs, but you wont have those monitors passing a inspection if they are strict.

Extenders should solve this regardless of being tuned or not.

My Cobb tune has turned off the secondary O2's I will try to pass inspection like this, if not I have the FVD extenders (O2 simulators) ready to go on.

Neither works if they actually do a smog test

Old 09-30-2014, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
AFAIK (I tried both high-flow 200cell catts and now cattless).

Durametric cant do anything with regards to changing monitors etc

A tune can turn off the monitors that causes the CELs, but you wont have those monitors passing a inspection if they are strict.

Extenders should solve this regardless of being tuned or not.

My Cobb tune has turned off the secondary O2's I will try to pass inspection like this, if not I have the FVD extenders (O2 simulators) ready to go on.

Neither works if they actually do a smog test

I'll try the extenders first before I even test the exhaust out on the road.

Does any one know if the CEL would come on the first time I start or does the car have to warm up and be driven for a while?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Cel could show up a year later, many variables. Consider a europipe, they don't throw codes. My old car graphic threw post cat codes so I moved to a europipe.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:23 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cam99
I'll try the extenders first before I even test the exhaust out on the road.

Does any one know if the CEL would come on the first time I start or does the car have to warm up and be driven for a while?
Guess it depends on your catts, for me once cleared they came back next day.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Just for reference and your results may vary, I had my tuner turn off the post cat o2 sensors while I was running a cargraphic exhaust. Fast forward a few years and it still passed the CA Smog test with no issues at all (with europipe now installed but sensors unchanged).

It is not just the cat itself that, its the design / size of the cat housing and the placement of the o2 sensor after the cat which all can lead to codes or no codes. So even if the exhaust uses the same cat base one exhaust could trigger a code while the other may not. Fun stuff.

I highly preach on here to just go europipe and save yourself any potential headache.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney
Just for reference and your results may vary, I had my tuner turn off the post cat o2 sensors while I was running a cargraphic exhaust. Fast forward a few years and it still passed the CA Smog test with no issues at all (with europipe now installed but sensors unchanged).

It is not just the cat itself that, its the design / size of the cat housing and the placement of the o2 sensor after the cat which all can lead to codes or no codes. So even if the exhaust uses the same cat base one exhaust could trigger a code while the other may not. Fun stuff.

I highly preach on here to just go europipe and save yourself any potential headache.

If I had the dough, I would've gone with Europipe however I got what I got and trying to work with it.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I would guess tubi is also good as Champion is only selling them. I found out like others, the cel doesn't necessarily come on for a while. My kline threw the post cat sensor cel, but only after about 4000 miles. You can't tell if you are good or not! And then once you get the cel, you clear it and it comes back quickly. At that point you really get stuck; either go back to stock, get a tune, or change exhaust.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:01 PM
IbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to behold
Mine do not and they are HJS 100 cell with a 580 tune. I threw a CEL warning a few weeks ago but reset the code and it hasn't come back

Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IbanezGod
Mine do not and they are HJS 100 cell with a 580 tune. I threw a CEL warning a few weeks ago but reset the code and it hasn't come back
How many miles has it been? 100 cell cats are going to be tough. You have a tune? Did it eliminate the post cat O2 sensor? I guess not, if you got a CEL. Give it 1000 miles, it will probably come back on.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:33 AM
IbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ryem3
How many miles has it been? 100 cell cats are going to be tough. You have a tune? Did it eliminate the post cat O2 sensor? I guess not, if you got a CEL. Give it 1000 miles, it will probably come back on.
it's been a good 500-600 miles. Yes I have a stage 1 tune +100hp. Still all clear

Old 10-04-2014, 12:53 PM
fasthwks is on a distinguished road
I have a Agency Power Titanium, 200 cells and extenders and my CEL came on after 20 miles. If I reset it will be back on in 2 miles now. I guess a tune will be next.