997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Drag Racing Worn Down R888's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Drag Racing Worn Down R888's?

Hey guys I may get a chance to drag race this weekend (rain current forecasted ).

I have some R888's which have been much better than my PSS for hooking up on the launch, however I attended a Porsche Owner's Club Car Control Clinic this weekend that I just used as my personal drift exhibit lololol and while it was a blast, I wore down my R888's both front and rear. Max tread is now 2/32. I hear these tires get a little slippery as they wear.

Should I get a new set of 4 before this weekend or is it not really doing to make a difference between a new set at 6/32 and my current worn set? Curious if you guys have some input on worn R888s.

Oh and we ordered up some Mickey Thompson rears but they only come in 305 35 which is too tall

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:39 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
I would personally probably get a new set mounted before this weekend if you could. I too have heard from a few different sources that the r888's grip sucks as it gets near the end of the tread life.
Good luck this weekend, I'm looking forward to seeing what your new setup is capable of bro.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:49 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Oh, also there is no suitably sized drag radial for our rear tires. I heard Nitto was coming out with one but don't think it's been released. I think what others have done is to put the taller tires on different wheels and switch them out at the track before runs then right after so you don't damage the transfer cases.
Right now our only option is the r888s to drive all the time. I've cut in the 1.4s with them so prob wouldn't ever go to a dedicated drag radial. Just run them at low pressure and get the heated up before your run.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:54 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ecpChris
I would personally probably get a new set mounted before this weekend if you could. I too have heard from a few different sources that the r888's grip sucks as it gets near the end of the tread life.
Good luck this weekend, I'm looking forward to seeing what your new setup is capable of bro.
Oh, also there is no suitably sized drag radial for our rear tires. I heard Nitto was coming out with one but don't think it's been released. I think what others have done is to put the taller tires on different wheels and switch them out at the track before runs then right after so you don't damage the transfer cases.
Right now our only option is the r888s to drive all the time. I've cut in the 1.4s with them so prob wouldn't ever go to a dedicated drag radial. Just run them at low pressure and get the heated up before your run.
1.4 wow!!! ok I'll try to get a new pair if I can then. Probably a good thing as if the event is on, it may rain during part of the 200 mile drive up there and doing that with balding R888's would probably be pretty dangerous.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder
1.4 wow!!! ok I'll try to get a new pair if I can then. Probably a good thing as if the event is on, it may rain during part of the 200 mile drive up there and doing that with balding R888's would probably be pretty dangerous.
1.48 and 1.49 on awesome prepped track. Mostly low 1.5s though any other time, which is still pretty good. Pretty positive that 68mm car in NJ used to cut consistent 1.4s with r888s at Atco during track rentals

If there is a chance for rain I would def get some new 888s on for piece of mind

Old 02-23-2015, 12:26 PM
1.48 and 1.49 on awesome prepped track. Mostly low 1.5s though any other time, which is still pretty good. Pretty positive that 68mm car in NJ used to cut consistent 1.4s with r888s at Atco during track rentals

If there is a chance for rain I would def get some new 888s on for piece of mind
Thx I just called Betim at BBI for a new set. 400 miles there and back...I don't want to risk my life!

Famoso is a far cry from Atco unfortunately so I will be really happy if I can get into the 1.5's!

Old 02-23-2015, 12:35 PM
I'm quite certain you should cut in the 1.5s. I've done that at Island dragway after track prep was non-existent so no reason you shouldn't be able to. Island DW is actually a drag strip that someone built on part of their farm lol.
Play with tire pressures a bit. Best combo for me was 28 or 30 in the front, and 24 in the rear. I go around the water box and just floor it to heat the tires up a bit. Back up to the lights, then go time.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm quite certain you should cut in the 1.5s. I've done that at Island dragway after track prep was non-existent so no reason you shouldn't be able to. Island DW is actually a drag strip that someone built on part of their farm lol.
Play with tire pressures a bit. Best combo for me was 28 or 30 in the front, and 24 in the rear. I go around the water box and just floor it to heat the tires up a bit. Back up to the lights, then go time.
Awesome thx for the tire pressure tips! I'll try that and hope for the best.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:27 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
A 305-35 Mickey is perfect for the rear. Won't hurt anything and is not too tall. 26.4"

Old 02-23-2015, 03:48 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think having them wear down is the problem - I think it is the actual heat cycles you put them through. I have had several sets and I have worn some to the chords with no problems with traction - - however, I have had others with only 50% of the tire tread gone, but with many more heat cycles and they got to be junk for traction...

Old 02-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
nitto has a new tire out. the nt-05R. it comes in 305/45-18 and 315/40 -18. really don't want to be running 19's at the track

Old 02-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
If you want to run 19's, the new tire from Nitto is that they finally got the NT01 in our sizes.
235/35/19 and 305/30/19. NT01s are, IMO, superior to R888s as well as significantly cheaper. DD and Track driving focus, but I assume they'd apply well to drag racing as track is the R888 focus as well

Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by yumaverick
A 305-35 Mickey is perfect for the rear. Won't hurt anything and is not too tall. 26.4"
Is that an 18 or a 19? I'm afraid of the PDK/AWD and messing with different overall diameters...particularly not changing out the front to match the change in the rear.

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I don't think having them wear down is the problem - I think it is the actual heat cycles you put them through. I have had several sets and I have worn some to the chords with no problems with traction - - however, I have had others with only 50% of the tire tread gone, but with many more heat cycles and they got to be junk for traction...
That's interesting. I guess at 2/32 they could be ok for another track day. I'll have BBI look at them this Thursday as they install a new set for the drag event. Maybe I can re-use the old set for one more track day.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
nitto has a new tire out. the nt-05R. it comes in 305/45-18 and 315/40 -18. really don't want to be running 19's at the track
This is true I'm never going to be able to do a spectacular launch on 19" street tires but I'll be happy with low 10s at Famoso (not a great track).

Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
If you want to run 19's, the new tire from Nitto is that they finally got the NT01 in our sizes.
235/35/19 and 305/30/19. NT01s are, IMO, superior to R888s as well as significantly cheaper. DD and Track driving focus, but I assume they'd apply well to drag racing as track is the R888 focus as well
That's great to hear thanks for the heads up. NT01's are terrific track tires but not sure for the drag strip. Typically tires like that need a lot of heat in them. I'm simply going to pass the water box and launch this thing. No burnout, no nothing. Just like if I was at a stoplight

Old 02-24-2015, 12:57 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
18" and it will work perfect with the front 19". Diameter is stock still.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
heres some info on the nt05r. hope it helps those wondering about the specs
P305/45R18 LL 207530 28.90 12.05 9.5-(10.0)-11.5 1929 @ 44
P315/40R18 LL 207550 28.03 12.60 10.5-(11.0)-12.5 1874 @ 44
^size ^overall overall rim width load
diameter width

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drag Racing Worn Down R888's?