997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need Additional Front End Downforce

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:06 AM
TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !
Question Need Additional Front End Downforce

::::UPDATE::::
Please disregard and see last post

Hey guys,
This was discussed a bit in another thread but I wanted to create a thread dedicated to it.

My car has the Vorsteiner VRT spoiler/trunk which adds a ton of downforce to the rear of the car.
Previously it had an OEM front lip with the GT3 RS lip extension on it.
Recently, I replaced my lip with the "eBay" aero knockoff one.
The GT3RS extension will not work with the new lip.
I've noticed the front end is now "floaty" at speeds above 60 mph. The car used to feel well planted at all speeds prior to replacing the lip.
I've read that the OEM aero lip should provide added downforce and I'm wondering why this "eBay" one is not doing that. Maybe a poor design is somehow adding lift instead. Who knows, I'm no engineer.

I know the Werks1 carbon one has been tested and proven to add downforce, but I can't justify $2k on a lip that will inevitably get destroyed.
I've been thinking of just ditching the new lip and getting the OEM lip and adding the extension back on.
Or maybe exploring the idea of custom making a splitter to add to the bottom of the lip.

So, does anyone know of any options to add downforce to the front end?

GT3RS Extension
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99750599690.html

Thanks
Drew

Last edited by TheInfamousDrew; 04-23-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:00 AM
Nevermiss is on a distinguished road
TechArt has done wind tunnel testing and should help, but not a budget item. TPC racing also has a front lip designed to add downforce. I'm sure there are other less expensive options.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Simple solution...Gas tank is in front....Fuel Capacity 17.7 Gallons. Gas weighs ~6.3 lbs/gal....Fill her up and add 111.5 lbs down-force (decreasing as you drive)

Actually the GT2 front end produces almost 20 lbs of downforce to offset the GT2 wing's downforce...

Good luck.
DC

Old 04-15-2015, 06:07 AM
TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by therock88
Simple solution...Gas tank is in front....Fuel Capacity 17.7 Gallons. Gas weighs ~6.3 lbs/gal....Fill her up and add 111.5 lbs down-force (decreasing as you drive) Actually the GT2 front end produces almost 20 lbs of downforce to offset the GT2 wing's downforce... Good luck. DC
Thanks guys.

Currently I do have a full tank and still notice it.
I don't really go below half.

I have been researching a GT2 front end conversion. Been searching for a used front bumper.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
You don't have many options. If the ebay knock is in fact flawed, then you need to pay the 800 and get the real deal.

Techart's is 2200 I think?

What is this front lip TPC creates? I never even heard of it.

Then you have the GT2 front bumper conversion. Emre from ESmotors could sell you for like 3-4k fiberglass version. I rather go OEM.

And lastly the werk1 lip which is basically a GT2 RS front lip. As I said before, you could always get the werk1 lip and then if it gets damaged just sand it and paint it. I don't know why people completely replace the stock lip. Just sand and paint.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:07 AM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Canards/dive planes.

FVD

GMG

There are plenty of options and some are bigger than others. Should add a few pounds. I personally don't think the kind of downforce we are talking about here (from the lip, lip extension, or canards) really applies significantly to amateur drivers, but why not since they look pretty cool too and are both easy to install and most are reversible (taped). The car is too low for a really effective splitter to be sensibly streetable.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Could the rear wings added downforce at speed causing the front end to lift up more then usual? To create balance you will probably need to either switch rear wings to decrease downforce or spend the money on a front lip that will counter it.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Banned
turbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to behold
I have the factory Aerokit which produces 20% more downforce than the standard hydraulic wing per Porsche. My car currently has the standard turbo front lip as the oem aero lip was a bit beaten up and the dealer installed the wrong version Can anyone confirm if the eBay aero is designed just like the oem aero lip? I don't want to bother with it if not and would rather pay the $900

What else is cool is that my deck lid has a gurney that I only recently noticed. It sits behind the air intakes

Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
^ this is a great question due to a horrible situation. (Take your car back and demand the right part!) Does anyone have the Chinese contact that reversed engineered this lip? Maybe the name is on the inside of the lip possible in a sticker form?

I hear that most Porsche rear "Aerospoilers" create an unbalanced high speed situation when not properly balanced hence this thread.. This is when I will be looking at the GT2 functional front bumper with possible side air racks or dive planes.

Your "Gurney" is additional forced air into the air intake/chamber. What's not to like.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:39 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'm going to buy a new OEM lip, add the extension back.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:21 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
The vorstiener wing looks modeled after the .1 GT3 RS mixed with a GT2 wing because of the intakes.

The front bumper of the .1 RS looks like a aero kit lip with the extension. Will the RS front lip fit on the .1 and .2 turbo/S ?

Old 04-16-2015, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by speedsterr
The vorstiener wing looks modeled after the .1 GT3 RS mixed with a GT2 wing because of the intakes. The front bumper of the .1 RS looks like a aero kit lip with the extension. Will the RS front lip fit on the .1 and .2 turbo/S ?
I don't think it would fit. Different contours and mounting tabs.

I'm thinking of picking up some lexan, designing my own splitter and adding that to my eBay lip.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:35 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by turbofever
I have the factory Aerokit which produces 20% more downforce than the standard hydraulic wing per Porsche. My car currently has the standard turbo front lip as the oem aero lip was a bit beaten up and the dealer installed the wrong version Can anyone confirm if the eBay aero is designed just like the oem aero lip? I don't want to bother with it if not and would rather pay the $900

What else is cool is that my deck lid has a gurney that I only recently noticed. It sits behind the air intakes
This is a great question and I'd love to know too. I bought the lip just for the aesthetics. Quite frankly, I really didn't think these lips made much of a difference and were more for show than anything else--learn something new everyday . What I'd like to know is for the amateur driver (like me) who just occasionally does some spirited street and canyon road driving, will the Chinese knock-off aero-lip many of us bought make the car less stable?

Old 04-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by MK23
What I'd like to know is for the amateur driver (like me) who just occasionally does some spirited street and canyon road driving, will the Chinese knock-off aero-lip many of us bought make the car less stable?
Another great question.
Since I have a significant increase in downforce due to my wing, I'm not sure if the eBay lip is providing any less downforce than the oem one or if it's actually causing lift.

I placed an order at the dealer for an oem lip and that will be here Saturday. I'll add that back, take it for a drive and see how it performs. Then if needed I'll add the extension back.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:13 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
The only time I've noticed the front end getting floaty is when I'm at the track on the back straight at Mosport going over 240km/hr which is 150mph. That's only once a year. I put on the TPC module and we'll see if that helps - Harris from TPC had indicated that it should help with that specific issue. I was going to get the knockoff aero front lip just for cosmetics too but I was secretly hoping it would add some front downforce. I have the Cargraphics rear wing. I suppose it isn't surprising that the handling is affected when changes are made from what Porsche intended.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Additional Front End Downforce