997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help Needed - Bad Results + Fault Codes (P2080 & P2081)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 01:57 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Exclamation Help Needed - Bad Results + Fault Codes (P2080 & P2081)

Hey Guys,

I hope all is well.

Last week while I was doing some Vbox runs I was surprised that my results were abnormally low around 1.2-1.5 seconds slower.

Car drives absolutely fine and no symptoms of being ill (Shake, sounds, smoke etc.).

Troubleshooting steps taken:

1- Spark Plugs replaced to OEM. Note: When I installed my new parts I had changed to cooler plugs PFR7B and new OEM coils, When I replaced to OEM the PFR7B plugs had 2000km on them. Outcome: Same bad results.

2- We thought it may be a fueling issue, so I ran the car dry and refueled at a completely different station. Even though I am sure that the fuel here is very consistent but you never know. Outcome: Same bad results.

3- Ran higher octane using an octane booster. Outcome: Same bad results.

4- Air leak test carried out, everything seem in order nothing new.

5- I connected the durametric (Unfortunately after I had changed plugs, fueling, air leak etc.) and I found fault Codes p2080 & p2081 (attached). Dealer connected PIWIS and same fault codes visible.

Took it to the dealer, they were baffled saying they have not seen this code before and it is very uncommon.

Dealer solution is Part #99760625005 needs to be replaced, cost including labor 1000$, and they claim that it is not guaranteed to rectify the problem.

Now to the question I need help with:

1- Just wanted to see if someone has faced the same issue previously and what was the cure?
2- And if the dealers recommended part is the correct one?
3- And do you guys think this is the source of my bad timings?

Note: The day before I ran for fault codes, I had participated in a track day and did 2 hot laps. Code can be cleared but shows up after some driving.

Thank you all in advance

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P2080 & P2081.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	418390  
Attached Images   

Last edited by Tareq; 04-16-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Can you datalog? If so it might be a good idea to just log the car and see if you are down on boost or something else going on with the ECU.

Good luck, if you have questions feel free to shoot me an email!

Mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com

-Mitch

Old 04-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
codes do appear to correlate with that part. u can also check sensor wiring but i doubt dealer will repair.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 04-16-2015, 03:50 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
That's the EGT sensors.. looks like thin braided wires that runs to each turbo manifold. The sending unit lives in the left side of the engine compartment.. It MAY be worthwhile to remove the offending sensor from the turbo (10 or 12mm?) and clean the end of the sensor..

Old 04-17-2015, 03:44 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Can you datalog? If so it might be a good idea to just log the car and see if you are down on boost or something else going on with the ECU.

Good luck, if you have questions feel free to shoot me an email!

Mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com

-Mitch
Originally Posted by prodigymb
codes do appear to correlate with that part. u can also check sensor wiring but i doubt dealer will repair.
Originally Posted by saabin
That's the EGT sensors.. looks like thin braided wires that runs to each turbo manifold. The sending unit lives in the left side of the engine compartment.. It MAY be worthwhile to remove the offending sensor from the turbo (10 or 12mm?) and clean the end of the sensor..
Thanks for the input guys, I have ordered the part and will update this thread once I replace it.

Fingers Crossed

Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Was there ever an update to this? I just plugged my durametric and checked for fault codes and saw these two:

P2080 and P2082

Last edited by turboslut; 02-11-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Hello,

Forgot to post an update, my bad.

Replaced the dealer recommended part and the fault code has not come up since (20000km+).

Goodluck

Old 02-12-2016, 08:10 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Do you know if there is a sensor per side? I think my codes refer to bank 2

Old 02-12-2016, 10:36 AM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
There are two EGT sensors (one per turbo) but they are I believe integrated into just one "part" that is able to be replaced. The unit is located in the engine compartment on the left side, right near where the O2 sensors plug into the wiring harness. (Item 32 in the part diagram above)