997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

First HPDE tomorrow, advice needed please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:50 PM
THEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to behold
First HPDE tomorrow, advice needed please

This is my first time doing an event in my own car so, I've opted to run in the novice class with an instructor. I've driven this track a handful of times in others cars which where all stock cars. ( V8 R8, 997TT, F430 & GTR) my 997 is much quicker than what I've driven here before. What I'm wondering, should I run my car on Stage 1 Cobb map? When I'm at the drag strip which I have tons of wheel time, I run the car on the 100 Octane Map. Also, how many people end up buying the HPDE Insurance?

Thanks Guy

Old 06-29-2015, 12:44 PM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
Run the TT at the lowest HP/TQ maps you have. Speed means nothing in HPDE, it's all about how smoothly you can enter and exit corners, carrying speed. Don't measure your performance by top speed on the straights, measure it by lap time. It is not a race, you get no points for passing other cars, some which have less than half the hp/tq of a turbo.

When I tracked my turbo, I had to forget the speedometer and focus on the corners. I could easily overtake cars on straights and get outrun by cars with less than half my hp/tq out of the corners. I had to learn how to carry speed in corners to take advantage of the power I had for the straights. I now drive a Cayman S as my track car. Lower power, but awesome handling help me learn to be a better driver.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:29 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
I believe there is also a stage 0 map. I wounder what the difference between Stock and Stage 0 is!

Otherwise the extra power is really not needed for the average joe!

Old 06-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Sayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really nice
I agree with running your first few HPDE's on your pump fuel map. Its essentially a waste of race gas at your current skill level. Additionally, the instructor will have you focus on following the correct line, smooth steering inputs, and proper car control over speed and power. While the power definitely matters, learn the basics first. As someone who normally does about 2 HPDE's per month, learning the basics makes a huge difference.

-Sayajin

Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 PM
THEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the info guys!

Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Get your DI to teach you trail braking above all. If you can leave with one thing get that down. Worst case a late apex will keep your car on the black. trail braking teaches you the corners and a smooth entry without trail braking is IMHO not as useful

Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mikestyle
I believe there is also a stage 0 map. I wounder what the difference between Stock and Stage 0 is! Otherwise the extra power is really not needed for the average joe!
Stage 0 is stock, just not unmarried.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:04 PM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
Also easier on parts running less power!