997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

ProEFI Problems to be AWARE of

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:58 PM
BR996tt is on a distinguished road
ProEFI Problems to be AWARE of

When I was researching race/performance ECU options for my car I found that there wasn't much user info available online. The majority of what's out there comes from the manufacturers and the dealers/suppliers of the products.
So after experiencing ProEFI, having 12 months of problems and losing a whole racing season I have put my experience in a YouTube video that I hope is useful to other weekend track warriors.

I went with the ProEFI Pro112 ECU and have now ditched it in favour of a MoTec ECU, I do note that there are cars out there running ProEFI 128 ECUs and doing great on the track or drag strip and this was one of the key factors in me going with the ProEFI options. What pisses me off and as a business owner I don't understand is that ProEFI have released the Pro112 to the market promoting it as plug N play when it's not. It also was not and still is not ready to be released to the market internationally. If you are lucky enough to have a tuner near you that has worked with the ProEFI stuff then they may be able to sort through the problems with the Pro112. Mostly anyway, the quality issues with the harness are still unforgivable. Jason Seibels told me that they subcontract out the building of the harness . They clearly don't have any quality control process to check the harness as mine was a piece of crap. The measure of ProEFI is that they fail to stand by their product and fix faults or even to be able to identify them for that matter.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:04 AM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, this post really struck a chord with me.. I haven't really ever posted about my experience with Pro EFI but I thought I would share my 2cents. I apologize in advance for my lengthy story.

I had a Pro EFI 128 in my Supra. With the "plug in play" harness it took me about 4 hours to get everything wired in properly (soldering connections with new pins and shrink sleeved). Starting up from scratch with 2150cc FIC Injectors it was a bit of a pain to get the base map ironed out. I called Jason for some support and he basically told me that my car would not run unless I ran injectors that were 1000cc or smaller.

Right off the bat I knew that I was dealing with someone that didn't have any idea about tuning cars that make any type of power. The issue is he is the person that may have wrote the program but didn't know how it would work in the real world. In fact, Jason has to contact many of the tuners that use his product to provide information about how to use his own product.

Now this isn't the problem I see, the problem is his attitude. He gives misinformation to people when he doesn't know the answer as to save face. Not only that but he comes across as a pompous *** when you ask him questions. What apparently he doesn't realize is that this is the very "business model" that will put him out of business.

I had a few problems too with the harness, and because I was so deep in the install, I sent it back and had to pay for a new harness at my expense. I now have a friend that has a Corvette z06 with the same harness problems (shorting out wires that were not sealed properly from Pro EFI) and he too is having to buy a new harness at a small discount. Some of the worst customer service I have seen.

I had to turn to other shops for assistance with getting all the bugs out, and without them I would have never been able to get everything running properly. In my opinion it is only because of some of the great people in our car community that have kept Pro EFI in business because Jason and his forward facing "professionalism" is worthless.

With all this said, I have tuned on a decent amount of stand-alones: AEM v1/v2, F-Con Vpro and Haltech to name a few along with ProEFI. The 128 is a great product, the flex fuel, traction control, and knock sensing is some of the best I have seen IMHO.

In the end, I was able to get my Supra to run with very smooth idle at 1000rpm with 2150cc injectors, stock like drive-ability, and make 1070whp to the tire. No thanks to the help from Jason. (starting to see a pattern here?)

If you do end up purchasing a ProEFI, please make sure it is from a shop that will take care of you from start to finish. A shop that knows how to do the installation and tuning. Because if you call ProEFI directly, they are just going to call the shop for assistance and try to belittle you in the process.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
For what its worth my 997.1TT runs pretty damn good on a ProEFI 112. I was lucky to have it installed and wired properly by Garth@Undercover who is probably has the most experience with Porsche+ProEFI. Without having someone like that in my corner I would have never considered any standalone.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 AM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
For what its worth my 997.1TT runs pretty damn good on a ProEFI 112. I was lucky to have it installed and wired properly by Garth@Undercover who is probably has the most experience with Porsche+ProEFI. Without having someone like that in my corner I would have never considered any standalone.
How are your dash lights? Do you have any error lights on?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr6tee
How are your dash lights? Do you have any error lights on?
dash is fully functional. i got a light on. i am used to it though because i had lights on when COBB was trying to get their stuff working on my car without the VTGs.

my 996 dash cluster wasn't happy at first when we started that years ago, towards the end i had fully functioning dash and no lights.

performance is there tho. with cobb i had lights AND issues with throttle closure that they couldn't figure out for months etc etc. at least now the car is fast and ECU doesnt fight it.

i do hope they will fix the remaining bugs soon.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
I have zero lights and full functionality with e85 on my 128. As i said the shop i used had no instructions and no issues wiring it up with pin out diagrams. With a standalone one should expect a harness and the required knowledge to wire a system

Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
one thing people should know is that a ProEFI should be purchased thru an authorized dealer who is experienced in your platform, be it supra, vette, porsche, M3...... it really should be installed by one too. the expectations from Jason/ProEFI are that your authorized dealer is who is responsible for supporting you as a customer.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:44 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
I have a lot of experience with ProEFI and Jason S. I was running an original ProEFI box in my Eclipse in the early 2000s. I followed his involvement with AEM, which eventually ended up in me swapping to the AEM box that was essentially the same. We had tons of trouble with that thing, specifically it losing sync between cam/crank. I lost a couple of engines this way and ultimately ended my racing at the time.

Fast forward to today with the latest ProEFI products and I see the same types of problems, half baked solutions, etc. Jason is a solid engineer, but the rest of the program isn't up to par in my opinion. Maybe if you are local to Undercover that would be a good option, I don't know.

With Syvecs being available I don't really understand why anyone would run anything else. Either Syvecs if budget matters, or Motec if you print your own money. I'll probably be doing a write up on the Syvecs here pretty soon, and the tuner who is doing my car. I haven't really posted anything about it on here because I'm waiting for results.

Last edited by rix; 03-09-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by rix

With Syvecs being available I don't really understand why anyone would run anything else. Either Syvecs if budget matters, or Motec if you print your own money. I'll probably be doing a write up on the Syvecs here pretty soon, and the tuner who is doing my car. I haven't really posted anything about it on here because I'm waiting for results.
1. there is one person in US that tunes Syvecs, Wayne Potts, who is very good. now Garth is doing it too.

2. cost of syvecs is over 2x of the ProEFI

3. VE based tuning tables of the ProEFI are better than the way Syvecs controls fuel. Smoother flexfuel control/adjustment, better adjustment to outside conditions and some other small things. No dealbreakers really.

4. if anyone thinks syvecs is completely bug free and true plug and play you are wrong. there are just far less Porsches in the US/World running a syvecs than a proefi and far less feedback. the ones that had great success are ones that either worked with Ryan G or Wayne Potts directly, such as 2 fastest Porsches in the world ....Anthony and EKanoo. They had great success because they paid the price of admission to properly wire it, set it up and tune it by one of the two guys who knows it in and out. Comparing those results to someone trying to wire up a Proefi in their backyard or by a tech who has never done it before to save money is like apples to watermelons. There tons and tons of very fast ProEFI street cars out there, being in close proximity to Undercover I have seen dozens of them.

I am looking forward to your syvecs write up.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
1. there is one person in US that tunes Syvecs, Wayne Potts, who is very good. now Garth is doing it too.

Wayne P. is local to me so it was an easy choice. Likewise with your proximity to Undercover I imagine.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:56 PM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
I'm in the ProEFI train right now. My build starts this week. I have Garth and Mark backing me up on this so I'm hoping I don't run into the same issues Brett did. I'll post up my experience once I'm in the thick of it.

-Jose

Old 03-09-2016, 02:39 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
My wiring harness was also done custom by SRM, the stuff ProEFI ships out usually done improperly anyway. I'm sure D3 is working on correcting these issues, but it's never a "plug and play" setup as advertised.

Originally Posted by BR996tt
What pisses me off and as a business owner I don't understand is that ProEFI have released the Pro112 to the market promoting it as plug N play when it's not. It also was not and still is not ready to be released to the market internationally. If you are lucky enough to have a tuner near you that has worked with the ProEFI stuff then they may be able to sort through the problems with the Pro112. Mostly anyway, the quality issues with the harness are still unforgivable. Jason Seibels told me that they subcontract out the building of the harness . They clearly don't have any quality control process to check the harness as mine was a piece of crap. The measure of ProEFI is that they fail to stand by their product and fix faults or even to be able to identify them for that matter.
I agree with this more than you know.

-Harness quality is crap
-Subcontracting and lack of QC is just an excuse, it's ****-poor business
-D3 is helpful, Jason directs everyone to them - even locals.
-The product is not plug n play
-Canbus ID's are still missing for multiple things

Jason did offer to take my car and fix all the canbus ID / values. he said he needed a stock ecu car and a mine and a few weeks to work it all out. Quite frankly, I don't see why I'd have to give up my vehicle to fix a problem that should have never been a problem to begin with.

As frustrating as it all is, the ProEFI is a very solid ECU and I'm happy with the features and performance is provides. SRM has been instrumental, along with assistance from Undercover / Garth and D3 Performance to make sure it was done right on my car, at least to the best ability given the limitation of knowledge surrounding all the canbus codes. Sad it didn't work out better for you. Good luck with the Motec!

Last edited by dhahlen; 03-09-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:29 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !

2. cost of syvecs is over 2x of the ProEFI

3. VE based tuning tables of the ProEFI are better than the way Syvecs controls fuel. Smoother flexfuel control/adjustment, better adjustment to outside conditions and some other small things. No dealbreakers really.

4. if anyone thinks syvecs is completely bug free and true plug and play you are wrong. there are just far less Porsches in the US/World running a syvecs than a proefi and far less feedback. the ones that had great success are ones that either worked with Ryan G or Wayne Potts directly, such as 2 fastest Porsches in the world ....Anthony and EKanoo. They had great success because they paid the price of admission to properly wire it, set it up and tune it by one of the two guys who knows it in and out. Comparing those results to someone trying to wire up a Proefi in their backyard or by a tech who has never done it before to save money is like apples to watermelons. There tons and tons of very fast ProEFI street cars out there, being in close proximity to Undercover I have seen dozens of them.

I wired my Syvecs in my garage

Old 03-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
My Proefi is going on this week, I wanted syvecs but thought I would give the proefi a shot since D3 in local. I sure hope I dont have any lights, my car is flawless and I dont want it to look like it needs to go to the dealer when people look at my dash. Little nerves after reading this thread.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Swole Powell
My Proefi is going on this week, I wanted syvecs but thought I would give the proefi a shot since D3 in local. I sure hope I dont have any lights, my car is flawless and I dont want it to look like it needs to go to the dealer when people look at my dash. Little nerves after reading this thread.
112 = dash lights

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ProEFI Problems to be AWARE of