997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Welding coolant pipes and round of mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:24 PM
echerbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond repute
Welding coolant pipes and round of mods

Just dropped motor to address leaking coolant pipe and do some mods. Thanks again to Sambo for getting me parts fast with great service.
Anyone should not hesitate to use him for all your needs.

Doing AMS intercooler, 1300 ID injectors, Cobb with sambo tuning, charge pipes, sachs 2.5 clutch, coolant pipes, bbi slave conversion, elbows, gt3 throttle body, plenum, and prolly kline 3 inch catless exhaust and headers. Gonna run e85 for the rest of season and see what these stock turbos can do before building a real kit over the winter.

Also gonna go TPC sways, links, tractive dampers, solid thrust bushing, toe links, and already have the DSC module in it. Ready for COTA and road America, LOL.

Here are some pics of progress. Ill put together a list of all the parts so if anyone does them in the future they will have a list of all the orings and gaskets, as the Porsche catalog pictures are terrible and very hard to get all the parts right.

The BBI coolant fittings are great quality and worked great, however they sent me an extra large one and missed a medium sized one, so I didn't feel light waiting so fired up the lathe and made one up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4284.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	453757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4296.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	453758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4297.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	453759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4299.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	453760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4300.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	453761  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4301.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	453762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4302.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	453763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4303.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	453764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4304.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	453765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4306.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	453766  

Last edited by echerbst; 07-16-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:07 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Nice welds

Old 07-16-2016, 08:09 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
Awesome! I did something similar recently except for the larger injectors. Are those BBi coolant fittings or sharkwerks? I know BBi does a lot of repairs on these and typically they weld them in, but wasn't aware they had a coolant pipe set as well.

Nice work on the lathe - that is pretty sweet!

Good luck with the build, looks like is coming together nicely.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:22 PM
echerbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond repute
Those are bbi you have to call and ask them for them. But they will sell them to you. I have the sharkwerks elbows too.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Wanted to ask, is this issue more common on 997.1's than in 997.2's?

Manuel

Old 07-16-2016, 08:45 PM
.2 is a totally different engine. No issues there

Old 07-16-2016, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by echerbst
.2 is a totally different engine. No issues there
Thank you for the info, good to know.

Manuel

Old 07-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Any reason you decided to make your own?

Old 07-16-2016, 10:06 PM
I got the kit from bbi. But the shorted me a pipe so had to make one for the win. Lol. No one can stop me. The bbi kit comes with the little nipple too and the shoulder is a littler better done.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:17 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
This is like reading my own thread lol. Great job. Mine is up and running finished it Friday, need to update my thread.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by echerbst
I got the kit from bbi. But the shorted me a pipe so had to make one for the win.
Oops,. guess I could have read that lasy sentence. Nice work.

I like the route you're taking. I did something similar.

Did you do GT3 front control arms?

I did those with 10mm spacers and BBI axle spacers. Yesterday I installed some Tarrett rear toe links with the rubber dust boots. The plan being to upgrade to the Tractive dampers later.

I had bought 10 and 2mm spacers for the front arms,.. but my tech only used the 10mm ones. As it sits,. the strut tops are a bit inboard from center, with -1.5 degrees of static front caster. I think I'd prefer -1.6, with the strut tops outboard from center or less SAI.

Last edited by Duckstu; 07-17-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:42 PM
All welded up. Gonna replace all the stuff that will ever leak. Water pump, tstat, few oil lines that I had to torch out of coolant housing, etc.
Only 1500 bucks of crap. LOL

Ill post a list of all the part numbers to so anyone in the future will have them.

Name:	IMG_4309.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	453833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4308.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	453834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4307.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	453835  
Old 07-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Intercoolers and helper monkey.

Name:	IMG_3948.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	453839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4255.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	453840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4256.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	453841  
Old 07-17-2016, 09:20 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Very nice work E! Doing everything top notch and I am glad to be of any help I can! That monkey looks ready to go!

Old 07-17-2016, 09:48 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Awesome job. I think you will be pleased with the E85 performance the factory turbos are capable of.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Welding coolant pipes and round of mods