997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Upgrade to BBi slave worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:57 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
Upgrade to BBi slave worth it?

Hey guys I suspect my slave is on its way out, I am on 2.5 stage clutch stock slave. How many of you guys have a real world experience with the bbi kit? The stock slave can be had for around $350, gt2 conversion kits for about $900 and the BBi is $1200 (is it gold plated?) pretty crazy pricing but is it all marketing or really good?

Old 02-02-2017, 01:10 PM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
I was curious about this myself. I'm about to do a clutch anyway, so nows the time if I am going to do it.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Deepstage will become famous soon enough
I have the BBI slave w/ Sachs 2.5 clutch/plate and GT2/3 clutch pedal assist spring. The clutch pickup is now 100% predictable and my ability to slip on a side step is consistent. You should expect a significant increase in pedal pressure and feel.

I believe the difference between the OE GT2 slave and the BBI unit are a few ports on the OEM piece that need to be blocked off. Hopefully someone with direct knowledge can chime in on that front.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:49 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly i dont mind the stock feel, its not the greatest but with the 2.5 plate its better than stock. There is such a huge price jump with BBi slave that i am trying to find a REAL good reason to pay it.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
if the trans is coming out do the oem conversion. if you arent removing the trans the bbi is an alternative to dropping the trans to get the gt2 feel. thats the basic difference in the price.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:55 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
What you pay in price you save in labour/installation ...

The bracket kits are cheaper but you need to change master, open the ps pump and remove or block the redundant lines ....

Drilling and tapping requires seperating transaxle from engine, a new fork and minor clearancing... Plus drilling and tapping and all the bracket kit work ..

BBi unit is a straight swap, master stays, spring is an important option imo, all redundant lines get pluged into slave ps pump untouched .... Easily reversible

I've had it on the car with the 764 plate for around 500km now .. I only reversed the car off the lift before installing the gt2 spring, I would say the gt2 spring takes away about 1/3 of the effort ....

Pedal is FIRM and HEAVY compared to stock, with the 764 plate it is heavier than the oem gt2 pedal .... Contact point is still high but much much more predictable ... I would say if you spend a lot of time in stop/go traffic this could be annoying .... Otherwise its one of the best mods I have ..

Last edited by TT.BRN; 02-02-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:14 AM
Rez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond repute
I run the 2.5 with the BBI slave. I love it. Be prepared for a stiff pedal though.

For whatever it's worth though...my wife drives it all the time.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT.BRN
The bracket kits are cheaper but you need to change master, open the ps pump and remove or block the redundant lines ....
on a 997TT the master stays anyway, you do not change it like on 996TT.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deepstage
I have the BBI slave w/ Sachs 2.5 clutch/plate and GT2/3 clutch pedal assist spring. The clutch pickup is now 100% predictable and my ability to slip on a side step is consistent. You should expect a significant increase in pedal pressure and feel.
Originally Posted by Rez90
I run the 2.5 with the BBI slave. I love it. Be prepared for a stiff pedal though.

For whatever it's worth though...my wife drives it all the time.
Spot on with this.

I pre-ordered my BBi piece and I've had it coupled with the sachs 2.5 clutch for over a year now and have been extremely satisfied. The clutch feel is so drastically improved.

I had the motor and transmission out of the car and it was a simple installation at that time. I do agree the price is a bit stiff (pun intended) but the quality of the part and the fact it requires no drilling tapping etc. compared to some other set-ups is a positive.

I would recommend going with the GT2/3 spring assist as Deepstage has done, i didn't do that, but may add that at some point in the future.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:39 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
anyone have part number for:
GT2/3 clutch pedal assist spring

would BBI or reseller ever do a group buy?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by turboslut
anyone have part number for:
GT2/3 clutch pedal assist spring
The part number for the Turbo clutch pedal spring is 997-423-081-52

And for the '05-'08 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera 4, '06' -'08 GT2, and '08-'09 GT3 and GT3RS, GT3RS 4.0 it is 997-423-081-06

For '05 - '08 Boxster and Boxster S,... '09 -'12 Carrera and Carrera S, Carrera GTS, Targa 4S,.. it is 997-423-081-05

So you'd be switching from a -52 to a -06 I think.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:44 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I have it done recently, BBI slave with GT3 spring, by BBI itself.

1. It is stiffer and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if your car is a daily driver. The stock feel is so soft, but with BBI it is now a little too stiff. I wish for something in between. I had a manual non Turbo 997 and the stiffness of that clutch - in between stiffness of stock Turbo and BBI-slave Turbo, was perfect.

2. I don't feel engagement point is different - could someone explains why it should be when all you are changing is the assist? (Real question not being sarcastic at all :-).)

Old 02-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cannga
I have it done recently, BBI slave with GT3 spring, by BBI itself.

1. It is stiffer and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if your car is a daily driver. The stock feel is so soft, but with BBI it is now a little too stiff. I wish for something in between. I had a manual non Turbo 997 and the stiffness of that clutch - in between stiffness of stock Turbo and BBI-slave Turbo, was perfect.
I initially was not crazy about the pedal stiffness. But after 3-4 times driving it,.. I got used to it. I And later I grew to like it. But I agree,.. it would be nice if it was slightly softer.

Originally Posted by cannga
2. I don't feel engagement point is different - could someone explains why it should be when all you are changing is the assist? (Real question not being sarcastic at all :-).)
Where it engages doesn't change with the BBI,.. just the "feel". With the stock system it was very difficult to feel with your foot when it's about to engage. Much easier with the BBI.

Replacing the clutch itself will move the engagement point a bit. With the Sachs 2.5 I had installed,.. the engagement point was lowered a bit,.. so my left heel can still be on the floor. That gives me a LOT more control over the clutch engagement.

GREAT to hear your opinion. You're the first I have seen a review from that did the BBI without also doing a clutch at the same time. You've confirmed some suspicions.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:46 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duckstu
GREAT to hear your opinion. You're the first I have seen a review from that did the BBI without also doing a clutch at the same time. You've confirmed some suspicions.
You are welcome. Thanks for explanation. See my report in other thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bbi-slave.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.