997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fluid leak - near driver's side front tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:44 PM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
Fluid leak - near driver's side front tire

Hey all:

I haven't used my car very much lately but pulled it out today for a spirited drive followed by a wash. Before I parked it back in my garage I noticed a small leak - brown oily fluid just behind where the driver's side front tire would be. Almost directly under where the clutch/brake reservoir is. I didn't really investigate it (will tomorrow or the next day) but did look under the car and saw that the underbody panels were definitely wet in that general area.

Any guesses before I dive in?

PS - my car has a GT2 slave so no pentosin. If that is brake fluid I am surprised it didn't do more damage to my floor.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Have you backed you car into your garage ever?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 PM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
**Edited**

Okay, now I am getting nervous. Just went to go check the clutch fluid reservoir and it is dry! I didn't see any evidence of leaking in the "frunk bay" near where the fluid reservoir is but snapped a pic of the are under the car. I'll get the car up on stands tomorrow at some point and investigate.

Last edited by TypeRx; 02-12-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by elite1
Have you backed you car into your garage ever?
No, never.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:14 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TypeRx
**Edited**

Okay, now I am getting nervous. Just went to go check the clutch fluid reservoir and it is dry! I didn't see any evidence of leaking in the "frunk bay" near where the fluid reservoir is but snapped a pic of the are under the car. I'll get the car up on stands tomorrow at some point and investigate.

Best to get it up and get the panels off, an dyou should be able to see the sources. Hard to even guess with panels in place as the fluid flows around all sorts of stuff.

I would not drive it dry...very dangerous and likely cause more damage.

Good luck!
DC

Old 02-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Took all the panels off and the source of the leak wasn't clear -- I'll load pictures for fun later. In any case, after not finding a clear leak under the car, i looked in the interior and saw a drop of fluid on the clutch master cylinder (behind the clutch pedal). I am pretty sure mine must be leaking and that is the source of the issue.

I'll refill with a bit of fluid to get to the my local Indy and have the clutch MC swapped.

Anyone know the part number for the GT2 clutch master cylinder? My car has the EVOMS GT2 conversion kit -- pretty sure I can't use the Turbo clutch master cylinder since that is designed for pentosin.

Edit -- so far I think what I have come up with is 996 423 171 06. I think this is the correct one. The normal turbo one is 997 423 171 50.

Last edited by TypeRx; 02-13-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:23 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure it's not something you ran over on the street ?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Yup, clutch has been squeaky/creaky with noise coming from the MC area so a failed clutch MC makes sense (I think). Plus, the fact there was a drop of fluid on it (in cabin) plus the leak under and an empty clutch reservoir seems like too many hints.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Ruskiy is a jewel in the roughRuskiy is a jewel in the roughRuskiy is a jewel in the rough
I took the cover off where the battery sits... Cap lessened and fell of off the MC. That was my story.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:11 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear that but definitely keep us posted.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:15 AM
Here are some pics of what I found -- unfortunately, the leak wasn't coming from an obvious source. But, I did find a drop of brake fluid on the clutch master cylinder (in cabin) -- that plus the other clues lead me straight to that part. Swapping it on on Thursday.

FYI -- at first I thought the green line was involved in clutch actuation (and maybe it is in a stock 997.1TT) which I why I have so many pictures of it. I think it is actually for Pentosin for the PS fluid. Either way, the line looks fine.

Driver's side cover

Driver's side cover and center cover

Underbody just under where the clutch pedal sits

Underbody just under where the clutch pedal sits

No obvious leak

No obvious leak

No obvious leak

No obvious leak

No obvious leak

No obvious leak

No obvious leak

No obvious leak

Wiped a drop of brake fluid off of the master cylinder before taking this picture...

Last edited by TypeRx; 02-14-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Slate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant future
Had the similar issue with my 997tt, in my case it was the washer fluid pump, check your washer fluid.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:06 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slate997TT
Had the similar issue with my 997tt, in my case it was the washer fluid pump, check your washer fluid.
OP mentioned his pentosin was empty

Old 02-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Yup, but not pentosin. GT2 conversion so hydraulic/brake fluid.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:58 AM
Just to close this out it ended up being a leaky O-ring near the clutch fluid reservoir and one near the clutch master cylinder.

Last edited by TypeRx; 02-25-2017 at 02:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.