997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2nd Place?? 997 '09 vs BMW M3 '09

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911dev
Didn't the road test that you are referring to show that the MKII 997 was faster in a straight line?
Trap speed was identical, and the 997 had a tenth on it in the 1/4. No surprise, the 997 launches great with the weight in back.

However, with additional traction, the M3 is vicious off the line. I know, I ran head to head with a modded 997S at a private drag strip rental. I was a second faster and trapped over 5 mph higher, same time, same place, same day. It is not a small difference, its huge.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by CURI0
DCT won't take 15 seconds off a lap time around the ring, but combine it with R compounds, and it is entirely possible to match if not beat.

Without the R compounds, the 997S laps 10+ seconds slower.
I am pretty sure that the 8:05 was with CUP tires.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Trap speed was identical, and the 997 had a tenth on it in the 1/4. No surprise, the 997 launches great with the weight in back.

However, with additional traction, the M3 is vicious off the line. I know, I ran head to head with a modded 997S at a private drag strip rental. I was a second faster and trapped over 5 mph higher, same time, same place, same day.
How do you explain the much faster time well into triple digits? The launch has much less effect there.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
How do you explain the much faster time well into triple digits? The launch has much less effect there.
True, the 0-150 is puzzling.

The weight shouldn't have as large an effect into higher digit speeds.

Considering the M3 dyno's much more, I don't get it. My personal experience is completely different.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Banned
I am pretty sure that the 8:05 was with CUP tires.
I can't read German, so I don't know. But the same source tested the 997S MKII to 7:59, so I feel the DCT would be right there if not quicker, as Car and Driver seems to support.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Krueger///M3 will become famous soon enoughKrueger///M3 will become famous soon enough
If magazines aren't your thing, how about the real deal? Listen to what Tony Kanaan has to say:

Originally Posted by TK6
What kind a question is that??

My DD is my all time favorite car M3...:respect:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202448&

Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
crocrr is on a distinguished road
I can't read German, so I don't know. But the same source tested the 997S MKII to 7:59, so I feel the DCT would be right there if not quicker, as Car and Driver seems to support.
CURI0, forget it man. You are arguing with folks on which color is better. Some folks understand that being passionate about cars means seeing the good and bad in every car and being objective. Others turn their nose up and exclaim that you like the car that you are defending because you cannot afford the more expensive one. Forget it. I had a Cayman S. I loved the car, wanted back seats for my kids, so I got a 997. Liked it, but it felt neutered, so I got a 997TT (all pics and mods on this forum btw). The TT is an amazing car. If you ask me which is better, the TT, my E92M3, my E46M3(track car) or my ISF. My answer would be it depends on the day. They are all great cars that invoke different feelings when being driven. I have been whipped by 997s on the track and I have also beaten them in the E46. Means nothing. Both situations did not take away from the driving pleasure.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by crocrr
CURI0, forget it man. You are arguing with folks on which color is better. Some folks understand that being passionate about cars means seeing the good and bad in every car and being objective. Others turn their nose up and exclaim that you like the car that you are defending because you cannot afford the more expensive one. Forget it. I had a Cayman S. I loved the car, wanted back seats for my kids, so I got a 997. Liked it, but it felt neutered, so I got a 997TT (all pics and mods on this forum btw). The TT is an amazing car. If you ask me which is better, the TT, my E92M3, my E46M3(track car) or my ISF. My answer would be it depends on the day. They are all great cars that invoke different feelings when being driven. I have been whipped by 997s on the track and I have also beaten them in the E46. Means nothing. Both situations did not take away from the driving pleasure.
Well said, agreed.

I'd continue, but I have to go put my change in the 997 jar. Can't wait until it fills up

Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Well said, agreed.

I'd continue, but I have to go put my change in the 997 jar. Can't wait until it fills up
I am not surprised. With your crappy cars listed, you will be saving for a long time

Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting read, but as I said earlier there will be no winner in this M3 vs 997 argument no matter how long we argue.

But one thing is for sure, this is a 997 forum, our 997 forum, OUR HOUSE, and WE RULE.

Now some stranger comes in and said his wife looks better than mine, and here's my responses:

1. I don't care, get out.
2. Your wife looks ugly, get out.
3. Yes, I agree that your wife looks better, but she is not my type, get out.
4. Nobody tells me that my wife is ugly, get out.
5. This is MY HOUSE, so get the fxxk out.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
How many of you have you read the stats? I finally picked up the magazine and started looking at the stats. The two cars are neck and neck on all the stats up to 100mph, after that the 997 is edging out the M3 slightly. On the track the M3 is slightly faster, but only 1% faster, which could be drivers error.

The basis for the of the rating the author gave big points to the M3 for rear seats, trunk space, and ammenities (read iDrive). At the end, C&D gave the M3 a huge win over the 997 because Aaron Robinson (the article author) prefers one over the other.

Personally I think the 997 is better (as do most on this forum) and a few think there M3 is faster/better. The reality it is a very subject decision, that people in this thread will obviously not come to an agreement on. When I get a chance, I will read the the article and find out why Mr. Robinson didn't enjoy the 997 as much.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Interesting read, but as I said earlier there will be no winner in this M3 vs 997 argument no matter how long we argue.

But one thing is for sure, this is a 997 forum, our 997 forum, OUR HOUSE, and WE RULE.

Now some stranger comes in and said his wife looks better than mine, and here's my responses:

Wow, Tim this thread has you worked up. Trolls go away when you don't buy into there crap.

Let it go.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim

Wow Tim. You have some awesome cars for a 16 year old...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Kurt_OH will become famous soon enoughKurt_OH will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
How many of you have you read the stats? I finally picked up the magazine and started looking at the stats. The two cars are neck and neck on all the stats up to 100mph, after that the 997 is edging out the M3 slightly. On the track the M3 is slightly faster, but only 1% faster, which could be drivers error.

The basis for the of the rating the author gave big points to the M3 for rear seats, trunk space, and ammenities (read iDrive). At the end, C&D gave the M3 a huge win over the 997 because Aaron Robinson (the article author) prefers one over the other.

Personally I think the 997 is better (as do most on this forum) and a few think there M3 is faster/better. The reality it is a very subject decision, that people in this thread will obviously not come to an agreement on. When I get a chance, I will read the the article and find out why Mr. Robinson didn't enjoy the 997 as much.
Uh, what he said.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Wow, Tim this thread has you worked up. Trolls go away when you don't buy into there crap.

Let it go.

Hey Ed,

you know me well, I was writing that with a big smile on my face. I come to 6speed for fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2nd Place?? 997 '09 vs BMW M3 '09