997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Resale Value - Cabriolet vs. Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:49 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Resale Value - Cabriolet vs. Coupe

Everything else being completely equal (same year, same equipment, same everything other than one being a Cab and one a Coupe), which car would hold it's value better after a few years. Obviously I'm talking about percentage drop in price and not actual dollars as the Cab starts off at a higher price.

If there was more of one type produced than another, than I would assume the one with lower production would hold a higher percentage resale. However, I believe I saw somewhere that Porsche produces almost the same number of Cab's as they do Coupes.

So that being the case, does one hold their value (again, % based and not $$$ based) better than the other?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
kevin123 is on a distinguished road
My dealer said the coupe's sell much better than the Cabs (I bought a cab).

So I think the demand for Coupes is higher, but there are more of them for sale. The cab is more expensive to begin with, and many people are looking for a less expensive car (according to my dealer).

I think they both hold their resale value about the same, the cab slightly less I think.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kevin123

So I think the demand for Coupes is higher, but there are more of them for sale. The cab is more expensive to begin with, and many people are looking for a less expensive car (according to my dealer).

I think they both hold their resale value about the same, the cab slightly less I think.
Yep.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is on a distinguished road
It's the same answer as you got to this question on Rennlist.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:20 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's the same answer as you got to this question on Rennlist.
Thanks. Didn't know people frequent both boards so often. Was told Rennlist had a different crowd. Trying to see if there's a difference of opinion amongst the two.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kevin123

Prior to buying my 09 C4S, I seriously looked into two other 06 997S (one cab & one coupe), both cars have similar miles, options (coupe has 29xxx miles, cab has 26xxx miles), the dealership was asking $53,999 for the coupe and $51,999 for the cab. The coupe has the sport exhaust option which I liked but after I drove the 09; the rest was history.

Coupe or Cab is a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by JmanE55; 05-20-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Not trying to turn this thread into a coupe vs. cab debate. However not everyone that buys a coupe does so because it's less expensive. I bought my '08C2S coupe because I like the body lines better (not such a big hump in the rear), there is more rear seat room (cab rear seats hunch forward), cab tops will eventually wear out (fabric, moving parts, etc.), the cab is heavier and slower (not my opinion, it's in the Porsche documentation), and I basically don't like convertables (the sunroof is perfect for me). There is a sense that the more "pure" sportscars nowadays are the coupes. I find this interesting because in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's...convertables, targas, etc. were considered the only true sportscars. Look at the 550 for proof of this. Anyway, I would have bought my coupe if the cabs were less expensive...price didn't matter. I never look to buy cabs...ever. And there has to be more than one person with the same opinion...

J

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
I thought that the cab option was 5k more? It would seem to me that after 3-4 years after the options mean nothing between the two, that the cab wuld still be more expensive because it was a cab? Am I wrong?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 PM
swajames will become famous soon enoughswajames will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
Not trying to turn this thread into a coupe vs. cab debate. However not everyone that buys a coupe does so because it's less expensive. I bought my '08C2S coupe because I like the body lines better (not such a big hump in the rear), there is more rear seat room (cab rear seats hunch forward), cab tops will eventually wear out (fabric, moving parts, etc.), the cab is heavier and slower (not my opinion, it's in the Porsche documentation), and I basically don't like convertables (the sunroof is perfect for me). There is a sense that the more "pure" sportscars nowadays are the coupes. I find this interesting because in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's...convertables, targas, etc. were considered the only true sportscars. Look at the 550 for proof of this. Anyway, I would have bought my coupe if the cabs were less expensive...price didn't matter. I never look to buy cabs...ever. And there has to be more than one person with the same opinion...

J
When I had my 997 coupe, I used to have the same opinion. Then I bought a cab, and now I have the exact opposite opinion...

Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 AM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
+1 on that. I never considered a cab as i've had several other topless cars in the past and wasn't interested in a Pcar that was topless.

J

Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I have to admit, though, that my wife's Boxster is fun to drive with the hardtop off, and convertible top down. But it didn't stop me from buying the 911 in coupe form...even after having fun in the Boxster. Another thing, I don't feel as masculine driving a convertable...

J

Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Another thing, I don't feel as masculine driving a convertable...

J
I'd feel pretty masculine driving either of these two:

Attached Images   
Old 05-20-2009, 03:18 PM
civerson4 is on a distinguished road
My wife and I have a 993 cab and a 997.2 coupe. Both cars are great--just depends on the weather and what we are doing that day. On the 993 side, values for coupes and cabs seem pretty similar--it is just a matter of buyer preference and location. Since cabs originally are more expensive, I'd say coupes have a slightly higher resale value vs. original cost on a % basis (and lower maintenance costs over the long run).

That said, there is nothing better than a spirited drive in a cab on a Sunny, So Cal weekend day.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:06 PM
^^I could do the black, but the white one would have me nervous about my sexuality, and deffinately standing up for myself in front of my tougher friends. No offense to those who have white cabs and are comfortable enough with themselves to pull it off .

J

Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
depreciation is about the same i'd think. however, recent times has deepened depreciation on cabs more i think. it also depends on your location. california sells a ton of cabs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Resale Value - Cabriolet vs. Coupe