997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Daytime Running Lights are kinda weird

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
The only problem with that modification is that driving around in non-fog conditions with fog lights on is just plain wrong as fog lights are much too bright for use as daytime running lights. If you use that hack, then I'd recommend adjusting the aim of the fogs to point further down.. and of course you loose the 'fog light' functionality if you need it for foggy conditions, due to the change in aim.
I don't follow you Minok. Fog lights are designed to focus as low as possible to avoid illuminating the fog. i.e. look under it more. I don't believe they are any brighter than headlights, and according to the OP, you don't lose the functionality either, since they only go off with use of high beams. It seems to me they would be much better than using Xenon headlights as DRLs.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:04 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
I don't know about the user above but in my case I know how to read the Porsche manual. The issue is that the "Individual Memory" screen of the PCM (3.0 SC+/997CS2 in my case) does not have any reference to Daytime Driving Lights whatsoever. The manual provides the reference, the software doesn't match. My PCM s/w is of the latest rev (at least that I know of). So, for U.S. people with this config, does the dealer need to do something to get this entry to appear in the system or is the manual just wrong?

Thanx!

Originally Posted by stevepow
My '09 car came with a unique feature - an Owner's Manual - could be USA/GA only? For those without it, here's what it says:

Vehicles with the Sport Chrono Package Plus

Further individual light functions (e.g. daytime driving
lights) are available in vehicles with the Sport
Chrono Package Plus.
>
Please observe the chapter “Individual Memory”

in the separate PCM operating instructions.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Harvey in MD
I ran across this hack on a 2000S Boxster, but have not tried it yet....
I have a 08 997 and will try it sooner or later as it sounds reasonable to me.

DRL-Fog Light Hack

The hack involves a single jumper wire between the Fog light relay and the Fog light fuse. Now the Fog lights go on and off with the ignition switch and are switched off when the high beam headlights go on.
Required Materials:

(10) inches of 16 gague insulated wire
(2) Fuse taps, Radio Shack P/N 270-1204
(2) female Quick Disconnectors, Radio Shack P/N 64-3131

Procedure:

1. Strip the wire ends and crimp on the Quick Disconnects.
2. Plug in a fuse tap to each of the Quick Disconnects.
3. Locate the Fog light relay in the panel above the Fuse panel. It is #12, the far left relay in the second row from the bottom.
4. Attach one of the fuse taps to pin 86 of the relay. Bend the tap to conform to the bottom of the relay. Use a piece of electrical tape to hold the wire to the side of the relay.
5. Return the relay to position #12 and run the other end of the wire to the top of the fuse panel.
6. Remove the Fog light fuse, 25 Amp, #7 (top row, 4th position from the right) from the fuse panel. Slip the fuse tap on the wire end to the upper leg of the fuse.
7. Return the fuse with the tap up into position #7.
I looked at fuses that at wiring diagram - it does not seem 997 car has neither fog light fuse nor fog light relay. Would love if anybody could prove me wrong and point at those items.

It seems to me only way to 'hack' it would be to mess with wires in light switch but it would be probably easier just to turn it on manually into fog light position.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
The 997.2 no longer has fog-lights... hence the lack of their relay/fuse.
The lens focused lamps on the 997.2 are precise enough with the cutoff and beam angle to no longer need specialized fog lights, I suspect.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
To the OP: I have a Canadian 997.1 with DRL... whenever I turn on/off the car, the headlights/marker lights turn on/off in sync.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:11 AM
panda997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to revive this old thread. We're u able to get them to program for Canadian settings?