997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Winterizing your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Winterizing your Porsche?

Winter is coming and I am getting ready to store my car (I have a heated garage). I'll probably store it from Oct to April (6 mos.). I keep the garage at about 62-63 degrees.

What are all the steps needed to properly store Porsche (2006 C4S) that I just purchased?

Battery charger type, battery water (how?), tires, gas treatment, etc??

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by thebland
Winter is coming and I am getting ready to store my car (I have a heated garage). I'll probably store it from Oct to April (6 mos.). I keep the garage at about 62-63 degrees.

What are all the steps needed to properly store Porsche (2006 C4S) that I just purchased?

Thanks!
Battery water? The battery should me maintenance free, you sure yours takes water? My garage is heated as well and I keep it at 50 in the winter, you? I have never had a 911 over the winter, but I assume it would be the same as I always went throught w/ my Roush Mustangs. I find that the battery, regardless of heat in the garage and some usage, will die in the winter. Get yourself a simple trickle charger to hook up to it. It will only go on when the battery is low and shut itself off when fully charged. You can get one at any car quest,etc. Tires will typically flat spot, unless you drive the car at least once a week. You will notice a wobbling in the steering until you pur some miles on her to work out the spots. Store the car w/ a full tank of gas and you can put an additive in it as well. I would also start her once a week and take her out whenever the roads are clean. Other that that, you should be ok. Throw some snows on it and hit the powder, its a 4!

Last edited by Sargepug; 09-28-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by thebland

Thanks!
If you can start your car every few weeks and take if for a drive once or twice a month on clear days, there is nothing you need to do differently than summertime.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
You winterize your boat, not your Porsche! Seriously....

Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Detroit winters can be ugly but you don't think that you would want to take it out during that 6 month period for a little fun in the snow?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Detroit winters can be ugly but you don't think that you would want to take it out during that 6 month period for a little fun in the snow?
Sure...on a dry day! I bought the car as a weekend driver. I l live on a dirt road and it is a mess... and not always well plowed. That said, I'll likely not have it out for sure between November and February.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Well, in Texas we spend our holidays on shorts (not a pretty sight), so if you want I can take care of your car...

Seriously now, the advices above are fairly complete, I used to live in Boston and it was pretty much what we did. It might be better for your car to drive it eventually whenever is dry or get a set of winter wheels/tires.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:25 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Clean it. Inside and out.
Add 12oz of Sta-Bil and take it for a drive, fill it up and make sure it's all dried out.
Add a Deltorn Battery tender Jr. 30 bucks.
Change your oil and filter.
Put down a sheet of plastic to keep a moist spring floor from making your car rust.
Put 45lbs of air in the tires.
Either peppermint oil or mothballs to keep mice away. Just a couple of cotton ***** of peppermint oil under the car on the plastic, as some folks don't think the naptha of mothballs are healthy.
See you in the Spring.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Clean it. Inside and out.
Add 12oz of Sta-Bil and take it for a drive, fill it up and make sure it's all dried out.
Add a Deltorn Battery tender Jr. 30 bucks.
Change your oil and filter.
Put down a sheet of plastic to keep a moist spring floor from making your car rust.
Put 45lbs of air in the tires.
Either peppermint oil or mothballs to keep mice away. Just a couple of cotton ***** of peppermint oil under the car on the plastic, as some folks don't think the naptha of mothballs are healthy.
See you in the Spring.

Listen to this. You R a native upstate NY'r. People dont understand that you dont even look at your car from Dec to March. Its no joke. BTW where r u in upstate?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:58 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
25 or so miles south of Syracuse. About 120" of snow on average.
Truely beautiful in the Summer,
middle finger of the Finger Lakes Region in the Winter.....

Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Ridleyguy is on a distinguished road
I don't live far from Detroit, about 3 hrs., and taking last winter as an example, there was no snow until the beginning of December, and it was fine to drive all of March. Summer tires are an issue in temperatures below 45 degrees, and as mentioned above, Porsche recommends inflating the tires to 58 psi if the car is going to be sitting for a long time.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:01 PM
I think you're right about pressure. Up is good to keep the flat spots away.
I don't drive the Porsche in the Winter. It's just too raw, though with the right tires, it's possible...
I prefer to pickle.