997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car flooded, any advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
Car flooded, any advice appreciated

My 911 got flooded last night. Car was parked on the first level at the mall, when I returned two hours later from dinner, car was already under at least 15 inches of water. Had to leave the car overnight there but rain continued and I suspected water level rose even higher.

This morning went to pickup the car. Water level recided but as soon as I opened up the door I see the floor is soaked in water. Dont think it got as high as the seat but water definately entered into the interior. Electrical system is shot and car wont turn on or any electrical working. Getting it towed to Champion later this afternoon.

Anyone here with any experience with flood damage and how to proceed with dealer and the insurance company (use progressive). I know a lot of electrical and wiring is underneath the carpeting. Also any insights as to the future? let's say all electrical and carpeting is replaced, any issues to look out for in the future? Thanks. Any advice or suugestions greatly appreciated. Been a long day.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spudz5
My 911 got flooded last night. Car was parked on the first level at the mall, when I returned two hours later from dinner, car was already under at least 15 inches of water. Had to leave the car overnight there but rain continued and I suspected water level rose even higher.

This morning went to pickup the car. Water level recided but as soon as I opened up the door I see the floor is soaked in water. Dont think it got as high as the seat but water definately entered into the interior. Electrical system is shot and car wont turn on or any electrical working. Getting it towed to Champion later this afternoon.

Anyone here with any experience with flood damage and how to proceed with dealer and the insurance company (use progressive). I know a lot of electrical and wiring is underneath the carpeting. Also any insights as to the future? let's say all electrical and carpeting is replaced, any issues to look out for in the future? Thanks. Any advice or suugestions greatly appreciated. Been a long day.

Thanks,
Robert
Car should be totaled. You will be pressed into repairs, it is usual to expect insurance to claim that flood damage is 'repairable'. But it is not. Also be aware - car will never be as it was after those repairs and you will never be able to sell it.

If it would happen during transportation I would say usual way is to involve a lawyer but if it was parked in a mall - not sure. It is between your insurance and you now most likely.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
That happened to a friend of mine several about 5 years ago and the insurance co had to replace her car. Weird stuff happens when the car sits in water that high. You start getting mold in all the nooks and crannies which leads to rust issues down the road.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:41 PM
CarGuy21 is infamous around these partsCarGuy21 is infamous around these parts
Man that sux. Sorry to hear.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM
RUFLUV is on a distinguished road
My suggestion is to immediately gather as much documentation as possible regarding the extent of the flood. If you did not take good photos of the high water perhaps you can go back to the parking garage and get sone shots of the "high water marks" on the concrete walls or columns. Measure the actual distance so you can show how far under your vehicle was. I would also get weather info and try to find out the names of anyone else who suffered a loss there. You must demand a total loss payout from your insurance company and if they balk HIRE A LAWYER. The insurance company is not motivated to pay you off if the car can be cosmetically repaired. Amazingly, almost all insurance companies do not report flood damage to Carfax or other serrvices, so the only way the subsequent consumer can find out about it is if the seller is honest or if the car was an insurance buyout "total loss" and the title gets branded. As it happens, Florida does require insurance flood loss buyouts to get a re-issued "flood title" but this only lessens the insurance companies motiovation to pay you in full because then they end up with an essentially worthless flood car.DO NOT LET THE ADJUSTER BULLY YOU INTO KEEPING THE CAR IF THE ELECTRICAL & COMPUTER COMPONENTS GOT WET! You will regret it. The Porsche warranty will not cover the problems you will have later. You may even heve to sue the owner/operator of the garage but what ever you do dont just settle for a deal to"fix the car".

Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
DJH
DJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really nice
That's horrible! I have never had to deal with something like this but would like to hear what you do and how it turns out.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Sooo sorry to hear mate, I was cringing as I read your post.

I would like to get a new car after that, but understand that it may not be possible. Hope it works out for you! Good luck!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:40 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
My experiance with flooded cars is even if they get it running and clean the interior you will have many issues crop up over the years from electricl problems, corroded metals, and funky smells in the heat.

I would NOT accept and flooded car.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:54 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
My experiance with flooded cars is even if they get it running and clean the interior you will have many issues crop up over the years from electricl problems, corroded metals, and funky smells in the heat.

I would NOT accept and flooded car.
+1, how many cars made it back into the market after Katrina, they have been nothing but problems.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
My advice .....Start over sorry. The car will never be the same.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
My condolences....hope everything works out.

I'm glad my P-Car never sees rain....

Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
This is not good . I do know one person who flooded his 993 and he had to sell the car for a terrible loss . He tried to fix it ,his insurance refused to cover it , and in the end it was bad . That was years ago .

I myself submerged my Mazda RSX in 1984 in a rain storm . It was raining so hard that i pulled into a parking lot to call my (then) job . This was before cell phones . As I drove into the parking lot there was a construction ditch unmarked and since the water level all looked the same at 2MPH I drove the car right into the ditch . I tried everything to fix it but it was never the same .

I see you took it to Champion --hopefully they can resolve this for you but my gut feeling is start over with another car.

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-18-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
BTW -- if they can't fix it you may want to opt for a second opinion . I know the guys at both dealership but am most familiar with Miami so if you need a referral just let me know.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
It all depends on how much water entered the cabin and what it got wet. If the water didn't get up to the seats, and I'm surprised it didn't if the water level was 15", it can be repaired without too much trouble. Carpets, door panels, center console come out, replace the electrics that got wet, thoroughly dry the interior, etc... Engine, trans, running gear should be OK. Wheels bearings may need to be repacked or replaced. Important part is to get the moisture out of the car ASAP or the heat and humidy in your part of the country will do to the electric what the water would have done had it reached all the electrical parts.

The flood cars with the problems have been totally submerged or the water was above the dash. In these cases the cars are spiffed up and 6 months later the corroded electrics stop working for good.

As for the CarFax, it may not show flood damage but it will show a major repair job and that will be enough to get someone interested enough to find out what the repairs were for. Best thing for you would be if your insurance company totals the car. They just do the math. If it's cheaper to total the car and sell it to a dismantler than to fix it, they'll total it. And fixing this car won't be cheap even if it can be done. If it's leased and you've got replacement coverage you should come out alright. Good luck with it.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM
p-cardriver will become famous soon enough
This is now a future track car. It should be totaled as others have already posted. It can then be stripped of unnecessary and heavy interior pieces and the mechanicals/electrical necessities re-wired and otherwise repaired to an extent that it will be acceptable and maybe even fun on the track, but it will never be a good everyday street car again. It will not be electrically reliable ever again but will likely be good a weekend at a time (some weekends will end early, back to the shop, etc). And it will have a salvage title.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car flooded, any advice appreciated