997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front wheels stutter to turn, when cold?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Front wheels stutter to turn, when cold?

With the recent cold-spell here in ATL, I've noticed that after my car's been sitting for awhile, and I back out of a spot with the wheel turned all the way to one side or the other, there's a stuttering feeling in the front wheels through the slow speed turn. It goes away, and is only noticed on full wheel lock at low speeds after starting the car.

I assume the UV joint just needs to warm up a bit- is that about right?
CATTMAN

Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Same thing happened to me on both my C2S cab and my T4S. I concluded that it was worse when my tires were more worn, and it was colder. Given it was on the front wheels, and occurred on both RWD and AWD, I don't think it was related to U-joints. I think it is just the wide front tires having to squirm in a sharp slow turn (and always happened as I backed out of my driveway onto the street).

Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Caused by the big tires. My C4S does adn has since new. No big deal.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
The front steering has no conventional stop to prevent this. When cold you can turn past the steering angle the tires can manage (less grip) and the result is as you described. if you exceed the avalable turning radius the tires slide/skip on the road. Less of a problem w warm tires and road surface, but if you try real hard you can turn too sharply from a stop as in a parking lot for example even when warm. Reducing the steering wheel rotation slightly when you feel this is the solution (ie: countersteer). The plus side is that great turning radius under normal conditions.

Last edited by Gpjli; 01-11-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
it is a product of the extreme caster needed to overcome the strut suspension geometry. When you turn the wheel all the way, the caster makes the tires ride on their edges, with a crazy scrub radius. In warm weather, and new tires, the tires flex and stretch to overcome this. Cold or worn tires cause the nasty skipping you are describing. I don't think you can change this unless they come out with a nice multi-link for the front suspension.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:15 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnM
it is a product of the extreme caster needed to overcome the strut suspension geometry. When you turn the wheel all the way, the caster makes the tires ride on their edges, with a crazy scrub radius. In warm weather, and new tires, the tires flex and stretch to overcome this. Cold or worn tires cause the nasty skipping you are describing. I don't think you can change this unless they come out with a nice multi-link for the front suspension.
That is one excellent explanation! Thanks.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
With the recent cold-spell here in ATL, I've noticed that after my car's been sitting for awhile, and I back out of a spot with the wheel turned all the way to one side or the other, there's a stuttering feeling in the front wheels through the slow speed turn. It goes away, and is only noticed on full wheel lock at low speeds after starting the car.

I assume the UV joint just needs to warm up a bit- is that about right?
CATTMAN
I do not see it in your signature - as I just got GT3 996 LCAs installed - I cannot believe how much better car handles now. I do not understand why Porsche does not install those LCAs by default on all cars. Would be cheaper for them to manufacture one part only than 3 different ones and everybody would be happier.

I probably should have not got *** tight and got upper GT3 mounts installed as well as they have steel monoball there instead of stock rubber joint. Anyway, steering is way better now and turns are improved big deal.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnM

Excellent, thank you! Rep points coming your way!
CATTMAN

Old 01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the question and great reply -I have the same issue turning out of my driveway. Iwas not sure if it was "normal" or not.