997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Having a Porsche convertible effect the winter driving?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 PM
CarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these parts
Having a Porsche convertible effect the winter driving?

Im concerned about having a Porsche cabrio in the winter because I don't know if the cabin will be very cold. I love having a convertible in the summer and a Porsche is a AWD car too. Anyone have any tips? Don't know what to do...

Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
The coldest temp. I've driven in was 24 degree F. on a trip down from Virginia to Florida with the top down for the entire trip. Here in Florida we don't get 30 degree F. winter nights very often but when we do I love to drop the top, crank up he heat & turn on the heated seats. Now if I can just figure out how to heat up the PS2s.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 PM
CarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these parts
Will it effect having a cabrio in the winter with snow. Im worried that the roof will weaken over the years in the snow. Im planning to take my Porsche to Europe after a couple of years. Might be a advantage later on having a cabrio

Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Old 07-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Affect..the word you are looking for is affect...They have a lot of snow in Europe. The top fabric is replaceable if needed. Will the roof "get weak". What does that mean? I guess the real question is whether the car will stay warm and toasty and it seems like it does judging by the responses. How great is that?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Haha, I've seen this before. Yes, the Porsche is a Winter car too. You think there are any cons of having a cabrio in the winter? I don't look so positive...

Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CarFreak007
Im concerned about having a Porsche cabrio in the winter because I don't know if the cabin will be very cold. I love having a convertible in the summer and a Porsche is a AWD car too. Anyone have any tips? Don't know what to do...
You have nothing to worry about. My Porsche is a daily Driver and It's a C4S Cab. It's perfect in winter! I've owned 4 911s and they've all been DD and all cabrios....no winter issues ....None get a c4 Cab and have some fun!

Name:  TurquoiseBlueinthesnow003.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  288.3 KB

Name:  TurquoiseBlueinthesnow002.jpg
Views: 1861
Size:  238.9 KB

Name:  TurquoiseBlueinthesnow001.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  254.6 KB

Tom

Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tommyv
You have nothing to worry about. My Porsche is a daily Driver and It's a C4S Cab. It's perfect in winter! I've owned 4 911s and they've all been DD and all cabrios....no winter issues ....None get a c4 Cab and have some fun!
Damn, Tom. The snow just makes your driveway with a C4S into a work of art. Love those color combinations. Did you choose the car's color to balance the driveway? Or did you re-pave the driveway to complement the Porsche?

Gary

Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Gary, that gave me a smile to start off my day! Thanks for the kind words.....snows a PIA but that day the car and the snow made such an impressive picture that I had to capture it.

That driveway is one of my favorite things we did to the house which over the years we completely renovated. It's antique bricks, not pavers, and the great part about them is they never lose their rose (in this case) color.

Here's a few more pics of the driveway with a different Porsche (my old one) in the driveway in early spring.

Name:  Porsche007.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  188.6 KB

Name:  Porsche006.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  158.6 KB

Thanks again!

Tom

Old 07-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Look how many Boxsters Porsche has sold in Europe & they are not even AWD. Use 303 High Tech Fabric Guard:

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...bric-guard.cfm

or other quality top dressings & your top will last many years.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold

Never had issues with my C4 Cab in the winter and i drove it up north (4hrs north of Toronto) at least once a month w/o any concerns

Just make sure you take good care of your top, road salt is a nasty thing for any car

Old 07-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
I haven't noticed a difference in temperature comfort with my Cab (top up) in either real cold winters (New Mexico) or real hot summers (Houston).

The heated steering wheel and heated/ventilated seats make a difference.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
cfos is on a distinguished road
I had a boxster for 3 years worth of winter. Never affected driving (referring to the original text in thread). As others have stated, having the heaters on and a heated seat kept me plenty warm. Since getting the 911, I do admit, I like the heated steering wheel, too. Now, considering I only had the car for 3 years, I would expect that (as with any other car) repairs or more preventative maintenance would be in order to preserve the convertible top. Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Only other thing to consider is if you are going to track the car. You may need to get a hardtop or roll bar depending on what type of track you would use it on. That said, I have the cab and love it. IMHO real sports cars are convertibles

Oh yeah, I've seen you mention twice now that you may take this car to Europe some day. Maybe cost doesn't matter but realize this is potentially a very expensive undertaking, at least in Germany. I think you can get a short term permit to use it as-is for a vacation but it has to leave the country after some time period. I moved to Germany and took my US spec Harley with me. It was going to cost thousands to upgrade it to German spec and license it there, so I just got the permit and used that.

I have to think there are differences between US spec and German on the P-car too, so best to check it out first.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Don't worry about it. Maintaining a warm & cozy interior temperature during winter is not a problem. I've had my cabrio out < 0 deg F. The cabin heats up just as fast as in our sedans. Any heat leaks through the 3-layer roof are probably compensated by the smaller size of the cabin.

I can't comment on AWD as I only have a RWD "S"...but certainly get a set of winter tires. (The summer tires absolutely suck in snow.)