997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

$2 DRL solution for fog lights

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Thomas Pxevy is on a distinguished road
Fog light problem

Completed this mod today however I cannot get fog light and side market lights to function together

When on home position the fog light is on

When on side light the side lights come on and fog goes off

When on side/ fog setting the side lights are on and fogs stays off

When on main/ fog setting the main light and side lights are on, but fogs stays off

When on main / fog / rear fog all lights come on including rear fog

What am I doing wrong?

Old 09-06-2015, 05:36 AM
Thomas Pxevy is on a distinguished road
No going back?

Further to my last post...I have just removed the diode and now I can only operate the fog light when the switch is pulled out by two notches to the rear front fog setting. The fogs do not light in any other combination.

Have I blown a fuse ?

Old 09-13-2015, 12:06 AM
oscswa is on a distinguished road
I had a similar issue when I installed my LED's, I just disconnected both front light housings and reconnected it again and it was working fine. If you have LED's try connecting the stock lights back up again and see if you get the same issue and then reconnect the LED's again.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:16 AM
Vroum is on a distinguished road
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for sharing this with the community.
Just to make sure that I fully understand it, if I was to leave the switch to the Home position all the time, the fog lights (and the fog lights only) would turn on automaticly when the engine is on and would turn off when the engine is off and they won't if the switch is in off position. They would also work 100% normally if they are turned on manually ? Finally, with this trick, they would in fact work exactly the same way as if I was to install a DRL electronic module? Lastly, what happens if you plug the car to a charger? Would the fog lights blink or turn on when the car is connected to a charger or would it allow you to maintain the charge of the battery without any side effects ? Thanks again for this precious hack.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:24 AM
oscswa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vroum
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for sharing this with the community.
Just to make sure that I fully understand it, if I was to leave the switch to the Home position all the time, the fog lights (and the fog lights only) would turn on automaticly when the engine is on and would turn off when the engine is off and they won't if the switch is in off position. They would also work 100% normally if they are turned on manually ? Finally, with this trick, they would in fact work exactly the same way as if I was to install a DRL electronic module? Lastly, what happens if you plug the car to a charger? Would the fog lights blink or turn on when the car is connected to a charger or would it allow you to maintain the charge of the battery without any side effects ? Thanks again for this precious hack.
Yes to your questions, but I couldn't comment on the charger part. I will say if you plan on putting it on a charger you should put the switch in the off position just to be safe. Also I have mine set to path way lighting for about 40 seconds after the ignition is turned off and it works just fine. No issues.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:38 AM
JCGMS is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,

Just bumping a question I posted previously.

Does anyone know if having this light on all the time can accelerate clouding of the housing? I undid my diode hack, but wouldn't mind having it back on if it's unrelated.

Originally Posted by JCGMS
Yes - thank you!

I have been running diode hack on mine over a year now on a daily driver 2006 C2 with no battery issues.

My issue now is that the light housing (original, not DRL LED) is starting to look cloudy and nasty, and I suspect it's due to the heat of the always on fog light.

Does anyone know of if there's a suitable LED replacement for the H8 35W? Seems like people were using hoen xenonmatch but hadn't found a good LED replacement: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...led-white.html

Will replacing bulbs help this from getting worse?

Old 02-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Vroum is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot OSCSWA !

Old 06-08-2016, 01:13 AM
chine61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
Can you please advise which if the pins is the "Parking light" terminal? "A?" I want to try this with using my "parking lights" rather than Fog light.

Thoughts?
HI I'm new at all this and congrats everybody for all your posts. I just bought my led drl and had the same idea as you but after a little bit of thought I wonder if you use the parking lights instead of fog, would you also have the rear parking lamps on as drl as well because parking lamps means front and rear on the same current and fog front is pulling once and fog rear are on other current as pulling twice. Sorry for my English I hope I can make my self clear.. Did you family did the parking light way? If so did I it also lighted the rear parking lamps?

Thanks

Old 06-08-2016, 10:19 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chine61
HI I'm new at all this and congrats everybody for all your posts. I just bought my led drl and had the same idea as you but after a little bit of thought I wonder if you use the parking lights instead of fog, would you also have the rear parking lamps on as drl as well because parking lamps means front and rear on the same current and fog front is pulling once and fog rear are on other current as pulling twice. Sorry for my English I hope I can make my self clear.. Did you family did the parking light way? If so did I it also lighted the rear parking lamps?

Thanks
Please read through thread. It will answer all your questions.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:26 PM
bommerts is on a distinguished road
I picked up a 100 pack of diodes to do my car and some buddies. Worked awesome, thanks OP. Have about 80 diodes leftover. If anybody wants, paypal me a couple bucks and I'll mail you a few.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
So what do Corvette and Camaro owners do in CA where from the factory the DRLs are the yellow corner lamps that are also the turn signals?

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
In California it is illegal to drive with the driving lights on and no headlights only at dusk or at night. During the day, you can drive with the driving lights on. You cannot drive with Amber or any other color without the headlights on. Fog lights, amber or yellow, cannot be used unless there is fog and the headlights have to be on.

I hope cops start stopping people who are using the blue lights who are wanna be Xenon light users. I hate the blue looking light on two lane highways...not pleasant to the eyes and mine are already bad enough!!

Old 07-20-2016, 06:33 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
DRL's are different than driving lights. Yes they are amber but they are smaller and are not driving lights. The law applies to those that have auxiliary driving lights or fog lights as they are called sometimes. DRL's are not designed to provide additional lighting to the road as driving lights are. Just to be seen in the daytime.

My F250 has driving lights and no DRL's. I cannot use them at night or dusk as "headlights" without my headlights on. I have seen people use this before because they modify the lights with HID bulbs or LED's that are super bright.

People do weird things with lights these days and some are very annoying.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:19 AM
jsmith1229 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for all this advice. I'm new to the forum and I was hoping someone could give me a little more. I tried the hack tonight with LED fog lights. It looked like it was going to work but only the driver's side turned on. I removed the diode and and tested the lights. They seem to work in normal configuration. When I placed the diode back in place the passenger light failed to work. Any suggestions?

Old 09-07-2016, 06:04 PM
YellowDragon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PSPorsche
I completed the Utkinpol II DRL hack today. Here is my experience with some tips and pictures...

(1) DIODE

As suggested, I purchased the IN4001 Micromini Silicone Diode 50V/1A from Radio Shack.

(2) REMOVE LIGHT SWITCH

I removed the light switch by pushing in the light switch ****, in the OFF position, and turning gently clockwise until it clicked (half way between the OFF and HOME positions. Then the switch just slides out. Unplug the Light switch from the wiring harness and plug.

TIP: Be careful... The beautiful paint on the circular trim piece that seats the light switch is extremely delicate. Even slightly scraping it with the wire harness will cause it to peel. I suggest placing or taping an index card there so you don't accidentally remove your paint. Do not put tape on the trim paint itself, however. Now, I will be shopping for Sand Beige interior touch-up paint to repair this. I might try Testors (http://www.testors.com/products/543912) or Home Depot color code 697912143052 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-up-paint.html).

(3) REMOVE THE WIRE PLUG

TIP: No need to cut the black wire-tie. Here's what I did...

Instead of cutting the wire-tie, I was able raise the release clip (see picture 1), insert a small screw driver in the slot next to the clip, and slide the plug out of the plug cover.

The yellow/white and red/yellow wires are clearly visible once the plug is out.

(4) PREPARE DIODE

TIP: No need for shrink tubing or wire tape. Here's what I did...

The diode can fit nicely inside the plug cover. Bend the wire leads 90 degrees, close to the diode, as shown in picture 2. This will be just wide enough for the diode to fit between the yellow/white and the red/yellow wires on the plug. Cut the diode leads to a length of about 1/2"; the lead lengths should be long enough to reach up to the windowed metal "triangles" shown in picture 3.

(5) INSERT DIODE

Slide the diode leads into the plug, along the yellow/white and the red/yellow wires. The cathode (the side of the diode with the silver band) must be inserted along the red/yellow wire. Again, picture 3 shows how this should look.

TIP: The diode side with the silver band goes with red/yellow wire.

(6) REPLACE PLUG COVER & REINSTALL SWITCH

Slide the plug with the diode back into the plug cover, and snap in place. Reconnect the plug and wire harness to the light switch. Then, insert the switch into the circular trim piece on the dash, gently push in the light switch ****, and turn counter-clockwise.

(7) MY EXPERIENCE

I typically keep the light switch in the OFF position, but I will now begin using the HOME position.

The bumper-lights (DRL) turn on when the light switch is in the HOME position. When the car is off, after a few minutes, the bumper lights turn off automatically.

I noticed that, if I unlock the car using the remote key, the bumper lights turn on. Then, if I do not open the door to start the car, the bumper lights turn off after a few minutes, but the interior door lights stay on. After some more minutes, the car automatically locks itself and the interior door lights turn off. I did not notice this before and it might just be normal behavior. Does anyone know if this is normal?
Thank you for such a detailed write up and photos. I had your post and pics printed out to assist me for this hack. It took me about 30 min but I was really taking my time to do this perfectly. The result is exactly as described and exactly what I always wanted - fog light only on as DLR and no other lights. Before I learn about this hack, I even checked with Durametrics and even they could not get it done via coding.

I usually leave the switch at 'OFF' not 'HOME' when in garage and hooked up to a battery maintainer. So far it's been a month since the hack with no battery issue.

Thanks again to PSPorsche and a BIG, BIG thank you to Utkinpol the OP for this hack. Not only you made my wish come true but also help me safe lots of $$$.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:02 PM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
I did this mod today, works great...thanks @PSPorsche for your revised short cut.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $2 DRL solution for fog lights