997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

$2 DRL solution for fog lights

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Found post 221 this morning. I'll try it with the diode method and see how it goes.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 PM
jchapura has a spectacular aura aboutjchapura has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Petza914
Found post 221 this morning. I'll try it with the diode method and see how it goes.
Sorry Pete that I couldn't reply earlier - the "diode hack" does work - I've been running it since early October last year and have never had a problem with starting the car due to a run-down battery.

The diodes are cheap enough to test fit one and so you can be sure the final fit on a different one has the right bends and securely traps the leads so it does wiggle out (mine hasn't so far).

Old 02-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jchapura
Sorry Pete that I couldn't reply earlier - the "diode hack" does work - I've been running it since early October last year and have never had a problem with starting the car due to a run-down battery.

The diodes are cheap enough to test fit one and so you can be sure the final fit on a different one has the right bends and securely traps the leads so it does wiggle out (mine hasn't so far).
Thanks. Bought the diodes today and am planning to add it tomorrow. I also bought a spare pair to do the same MOD to my Cayenne 957 where I'm upgrading it's front lights to those from the 958 which has leds and the vehicle looks to have the same light switch with the same positions as the 997, so I'll have to check the wIring diagram or grab a meter to determine the correct 2 wires in it.

Update Aug_2017: the diode addition solved my battery drain issue back in February and have been running this way on my wife's car ever since without any issue - she loves the increased visibility during the daytime without having to do anything special or remember to turn anything off. The Cayenne switch is actually different so I had to go about it a different way there, used the SPDT relay method in my post #320 further down, but also changed the front Cayenne lights from the 957 style to the 958 style so using the dedicated white leds to be on all the time with the ignition via the relay and they're the only lights on that circuit so didn't have to worry about diodes or the bulb control module in the Cayenne.

Last edited by Petza914; 08-14-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:43 PM
steve60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks everyone for posting about this simple solution - I've been using it for a month now and it works great! No battery drain so far.

I had a question though that I hope someone can help with. I need the fog lights to be on while in both the 'Home' position and the 'All off' position (the one to the left of 'Home'). Is there any way to do that?

Old 08-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by steve60
Thanks everyone for posting about this simple solution - I've been using it for a month now and it works great! No battery drain so far.

I had a question though that I hope someone can help with. I need the fog lights to be on while in both the 'Home' position and the 'All off' position (the one to the left of 'Home'). Is there any way to do that?
Curious as to why? It's nice to be able to actually turn them off if desired and in Home they're the only things on. You want more, move to parking light position, and more still to the headlight position.

Of course anything is possible. You could find a wire that only has 12v when the ignition is turned on. Take an SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) relay and hook the trigger wire to that switched wire you've identified. Hook the constant 12v wire to the positive terminal of the battery, hook the ground wire to the negative terminal of the battery or a chassis ground, then hook the feed wire from the relay to both the fog light wires for the left and right lights. (Note: you might want diodes in these feed wires and further back in the wires you're splicing into to prevent current from flowing backwards to the other connections, which could cause a bulb out warning or possibly damage the bulb control module). When the ignition is turned on, it will trip the relay and the relay will power the front lights by drawing current directly from the battery, which is the safest way to hook something like this up, though with the LED lights, there's very little current draw.

Last edited by Petza914; 08-14-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info - I was hoping that there might be an example already out there or a way to place the diode onto another pin. In post #264 on this thread someone asked if connecting A4 (power when ignition on) to A5 (fogs) would work - but I didn't see a reply to that.

To pass Canadian regulations, DRLs must not be able to be switched off manually. I prefer being able to have the option of turning them all off as well, but the car won't pass inspection if there's a switch to turn them off. :-(

For anyone looking for the regs, I found them here:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...e-12.html#h-44

Switching
(54) Subject to subsections (55) and (56), daytime running lamps shall be on continuously when the engine is operating and the master lighting switch is not in the headlamps on position.

If there's any setting on the lighting switch that turns them off, they're not legally DRLs in Canada.

Last edited by steve60; 08-14-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 PM
oscswa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steve60
Thanks for the info - I was hoping that there might be an example already out there or a way to place the diode onto another pin. In post #264 on this thread someone asked if connecting A4 (power when ignition on) to A5 (fogs) would work - but I didn't see a reply to that.

To pass Canadian regulations, DRLs must not be able to be switched off manually. I prefer being able to have the option of turning them all off as well, but the car won't pass inspection if there's a switch to turn them off. :-(

For anyone looking for the regs, I found them here:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...e-12.html#h-44

Switching
(54) Subject to subsections (55) and (56), daytime running lamps shall be on continuously when the engine is operating and the master lighting switch is not in the headlamps on position.

If there's any setting on the lighting switch that turns them off, they're not legally DRLs in Canada.
Yes you can have daytime running lights but set it though the PCM. I wouldn't mess with the switch for daytime lights to pass inspection.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	510680  
Old 08-15-2017, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by oscswa
Yes you can have daytime running lights but set it though the PCM. I wouldn't mess with the switch for daytime lights to pass inspection.
On a .1 car that turns the headlights on all the time, not the aftermarket bumper LEDs and what this thread was all about. On a .2 car it uses the factory bumper LEDs, but then you don't need any sort of hack.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Petza914
On a .1 car that turns the headlights on all the time, not the aftermarket bumper LEDs and what this thread was all about. On a .2 car it uses the factory bumper LEDs, but then you don't need any sort of hack.
I understand what your saying, I have the led dialed hack and been running it for 2 years now with no issues. What I am trying to say is use the PCM to pass inspection then you can keep the switch with an option to turn it off.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 PM
I understand what your saying, I have the led dialed hack and been running it for 2 years now with no issues. What I am trying to say is use the PCM to pass inspection then you can keep the switch with an option to turn it off.
Now I understand what you're saying too. That's a good idea.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 PM
Thanks - that's a great suggestion I hadn't considered. 😀

Old 08-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Now if I can find a similar solution for the rear fogs and both sides to turn on instead of one stupid side that would be great. I have a light smoke led tails and would like for them to be on all the time to add some color to an already dark rear end.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:50 AM
acepilot2463 is an unknown quantity at this point
New to me Boxster

I just purchased a 2005 Boxster and decided to install the diode to make my fog lights act as running lights. This is a wonderful hack that won't change anything with the original wires going to the lights. It's an easy fix for anyone with basic mechanical skills.

Best,
Frank Mahoney

Old 11-15-2017, 02:14 PM
acepilot2463 is an unknown quantity at this point
Many Thanks for posting this wonderful and easy hack to address the lack of running lights in my 2005 987. Everything worked perfect with only minimum electrical skills needed to do the job. By the way, I only spent $1.59 USD for the diode at a local electronics shop. I had the two wire connectors on hand to make the necessary connections.
Best,
Frank

Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Mike282028 is an unknown quantity at this point
Only one fog light works

So I ordered the diode online since I don't have a radio shack nearby and followed all the instructions. After testing it out I found the right fog light/DRL did not work when in home while the car was running. Left worked. If it was in home and activated via the unlock/lock trigger both worked and also if I move it past home to fog lights on both worked.

Any ideas?

i checked to make sure the connection was good, so the only thing I can think of is it's not the exact diode, it's IN4001 1A 100V not 50V.

Any thoughts are are appreciated as I love the look of having them on in the daytime without the hassle of switching them manually.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $2 DRL solution for fog lights