997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

powder coating brake calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:39 AM
tjkarwal is on a distinguished road
powder coating brake calipers

is that possible, or would it be an issue? I really like the look of the yellow break calipers on the carrera.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
That or probably ceramic coating.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Its Kip is on a distinguished road
Powder coating calipers is quite common. Just make sure they are completely clean and free of all fluids prior to coating.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:50 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to be a minority here... when I painted my calipers, I spoke with a brembo tech rep... he told me, among other things, that I should never powder coat a caliper. powder coating is a heat barrier, which is really bad when you coat a heat generating piece, since the heat has nowhere to go...

Old 03-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Ok so I'm a total newb... Is there a DIY guide in how to remove the callipers and what paint to use??

Old 03-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Or also, if I wanted to upgrade to the Porsches ceramic brake system, is it upgradable? Any thoughts on how much?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:52 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Your better off trying to paint if you want yellow...PCCB's are way expensive.

I like the look of Red...so I got an "S". When I think yellow looks good...I'll buy the PCCB equip P Car

Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Wow... Ok so pccb are out. Any specific paints you guys would recommend using?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I've used a couple of different kinds including the one from Tire Rack. All of them did a good job, but the most important part wasn't the paint but the prep work. You need perfectly clean calipers, which can be difficult to do with them on the car. Having an air compressor helps a lot, and some very small soft bristle brushes to get into all of the nooks and crannies with.

Definitely go with brush-on and do not use spray paint.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I've used a couple of different kinds including the one from Tire Rack. All of them did a good job, but the most important part wasn't the paint but the prep work. You need perfectly clean calipers, which can be difficult to do with them on the car. Having an air compressor helps a lot, and some very small soft bristle brushes to get into all of the nooks and crannies with.

Definitely go with brush-on and do not use spray paint.
great heads up, thanks for that. Would you recommend using de-greaser soaps to clean the callipers? maybe dish washing soap? is that ok for the brakes? sorry for the completely rookie questions.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:53 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
try this post, it has everything you need there:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ers-today.html

joel

Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Porsche Caliper Color Decoder

Black = Standard Brakes
Red = 'S' Brakes
Yellow = PCCB

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
try this post, it has everything you need there:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ers-today.html

joel
Love those black lobsters Joel. I want black rims for my Silver 4S...now I may just paint mine!!

Looks awesome.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Kingbee 88 is on a distinguished road
powder coating

Originally Posted by JoelPirela
I'm going to be a minority here... when I painted my calipers, I spoke with a brembo tech rep... he told me, among other things, that I should never powder coat a caliper. powder coating is a heat barrier, which is really bad when you coat a heat generating piece, since the heat has nowhere to go...
Not sure about calipers -- but Nordson Corporation has been helping customers powder coat brake pads for many years now. They are coated on a flat belt wherein the belt provides a natural mask for the abrasive surface of the pad so that only the metal plate is coated and not the abrasive pad surface. I would assume that a brake pad would see similar heat during operation as a caliper but not sure. In any event, if it truly can be powder coated - a caliper might present some masking challenges more so than a brake pad - but then perhaps this is the case whether powder or liquid coating is applied. This is not to say that powder (or liquid) over-spray could not be overcome with some post machining.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: powder coating brake calipers