997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT2 seat to 12 way power seat swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:20 AM
rallycobra is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. When I purchased them I was told they were from an 09. Agree with cbst09 about rewiring the seat. I might just get a basic set of non power seats with the power back rest. The 12 way power seats are rather heavy!

Old 01-17-2017, 03:47 PM
megachimp is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rallycobra
Seat swap fail here.

I have a 2009 4S Launch car and purchased a set of 12 way power seats with airbags. The passenger seat installed and works perfectly. The driver seat does nothing when I plug in the yellow harness. There is a memory box on the seat with a connector but I have no harness to plug into it. Do you think have a dead seat, or do I need to run power to that memory box on the bottom?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Resurrecting this thread. Having this same issue while doing a seat swap. (GT2 to adaptive sport seats) Plug the yellow harness in and no power to the driver's seat.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Like the guy above here, the passenger seat works fine. the driver's seat does not. the seats are memory, where the memory buttons are on the seats themselves. The driver's seat has a black box in the front that looks like it accepts another wiring harness. My car obviously does not have anything that looks like it plugs in there

cheers

Last edited by megachimp; 01-17-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:56 PM
rallycobra is on a distinguished road
There is an article on how to rewire the 997 driver seat on pelican parts. I think this is the only way to make a memory seat work in a non memory car.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._997_seats.htm

Old 01-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by rallycobra
There is an article on how to rewire the 997 driver seat on pelican parts. I think this is the only way to make a memory seat work in a non memory car.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._997_seats.htm
The odd part is that the passenger seat works fine and it has memory function. (though I don't think the memory function actually works)

So the question becomes what's the difference between the passenger seat and driver seat. The only obvious difference (other than the obvious passenger air bag weigh harness) is that the driver's seat has a rectangular black box at the front of it that has a receptacle for a wiring harness. I have no idea what that harness is for, but I'm confident it's preventing the seats from working.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:03 AM
newold_m is an unknown quantity at this point
I’m also looking to swap my seats and trying to find out what is involved installing a non-memory sports seat into a memory car with regular seats. Does anyone have tips to share on what’s involved?

The block box under the drive seat is the memory module and when it’s disconnected all power to the seat is lost.

Found this older thread where amok mentions moving the power wire from the memory loom: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3824239

Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by newold_m
I’m also looking to swap my seats and trying to find out what is involved installing a non-memory sports seat into a memory car with regular seats. Does anyone have tips to share on what’s involved?

The block box under the drive seat is the memory module and when it’s disconnected all power to the seat is lost.

Found this older thread where amok mentions moving the power wire from the memory loom: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3824239
Hi newold, been a while since I thought about this. I'm no longer in my 997. But, if memory serves me you are on the right track with regards to the seats. I was trying to go from GT2 seat equipped car to donor seats with memory function. I was never able to to make that work. Passenger side would work, but the driver's seat wouldn't work without having wiring harnesses plugged into both plugs of that black box.

Now, sounds like you're trying to go the other way A memory enabled car with non memory seats. Sounds like you already have the donor seats already. Probably safe to assume the passenger seat works fine? When I was going through that fiasco I came to the conclusion that the driver's seat power for a memory enabled car cam from the larger wiring harness that plugged into that black box.

So, in your situation, I would think that you could jump the power from your memory seat wiring harness to the proper pin of the other harness. You'd probably want to hunt down a picture of the harness from a non-memory car and compare it to the harness of your car that fits in the seat. see if you figure out where the power goes.

My intuition says that it should be a lot easier to go the direction you're going If you can run power to that seat it should work.

Now, I have no idea how the airbag is wired in a memory car. I'd be a little nervous that any wiring to the airbag would go through the memory module. But, I suppose the car would throw an error if the airbag wasn't powered.

I wish you better luck than I had doing your seat swap!

Last edited by megachimp; 11-19-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:03 PM
newold_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for the detailed response megachip!

Yes, I’m trying to install non-memory seats into a memory equipped car. Physically don’t have the seats but looking at the wiring and browsing though various forums I’m pretty confident that this swap is do-able. Fingers crossed...

The memory module has the main power input (red/brown) and I don’t see any others ‘thick’ cables going into the regular yellow connector so I think what’s needed is to get the 12V power from the memory module into the yellow harness to power on the new seats. I can definitely see installing memory seats in a non-memory car can be an issue as the memory module expects the power.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BB0940C2-1570-46C2-8C91-F0E357924BEC.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	756.2 KB
ID:	516272