997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question with IMS while replacing my clutch. Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:10 AM
Khaim3 is on a distinguished road
Question with IMS while replacing my clutch. Please help

I am replacing my clutch and pressure plate due to the faulty pressure plate. Since I had the transmission off, I wanted to check the RMS and this is what I found.
The RMS seal seem to be in good condition. But looking at the IMS, it look like it's leakin oil but not much.
I believe this IMS is the updated version cause the center nut is 22mm.
Can someone chime in one this. Can I replace the seal on the IMS to stop the leak?

I will check with the part department on Monday.
Thank you in advance.

Khai

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	416828  
Old 03-22-2015, 09:54 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
There was a thread a month or so back, either on here or the other forum, where a guy had the same issue. His car was an 06 or later and he kept the original IMS bearing and added an oil feed to it.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:21 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
You do not replace the ims seal. If the bearing is a later model and good you can remove the seal to allow splash lubrication or remove the seal and add a direct oil flow modification. If it is an early (05) bearing you can remove and replace it directly with an upgraded bearing. I cannot tell you which bearing you have but if you search you should be able to distinguish between the two by visual inspection. The lock nut arrangement is a different size. No one can tell you the condition of the bearing without removing the rear housing (plate?). You should certainly follow up now before you reassemble things. I assume you have looked in filter for metal fragments and have found none. If the bearing has failed you have a different problem. I hope this helps but I am not a qualified technician. Post what you find out and how it goes.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Karl B will become famous soon enough
That was me. Mine looked the same as yours, I elected to install the Dirrect oil feed adapter while I was there for some extra insurance. Mine is an 06 with the larger bearing so it's suposed to have a longer life.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	939.8 KB
ID:	416855  
Old 03-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Your rear main seal looks like it is just starting to leak, it's only a couple of dollars, change it while your in there.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:48 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Karl B
That was me. Mine looked the same as yours, I elected to install the Dirrect oil feed adapter while I was there for some extra insurance. Mine is an 06 with the larger bearing so it's suposed to have a longer life.
Hey Karl did bill do your work?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gpjli
You do not replace the ims seal. If the bearing is a later model and good you can remove the seal to allow splash lubrication or remove the seal and add a direct oil flow modification. If it is an early (05) bearing you can remove and replace it directly with an upgraded bearing. I cannot tell you which bearing you have but if you search you should be able to distinguish between the two by visual inspection. The lock nut arrangement is a different size. No one can tell you the condition of the bearing without removing the rear housing (plate?). You should certainly follow up now before you reassemble things. I assume you have looked in filter for metal fragments and have found none. If the bearing has failed you have a different problem. I hope this helps but I am not a qualified technician. Post what you find out and how it goes.
I did the oil changed last month and the filter was clean.
I think I have the updated IMS because the center nut is 22mm.

The question is if I decide to replace the RMS, DO I NEED TO DRAIN THE ENGINE OIL FIRST?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the info. My RMS is still looking good compare to your base on the picture.

Do I need to drain the oil before I replace the RMS?

Thank,
Khai

Old 03-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Khaim3
I did the oil changed last month and the filter was clean.
I think I have the updated IMS because the center nut is 22mm.

The question is if I decide to replace the RMS, DO I NEED TO DRAIN THE ENGINE OIL FIRST?

No that was not the question. What are you shouting about. Please work on your board manners.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gpjli
No that was not the question. What are you shouting about. Please work on your board manners.
Lmfao

Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Sorry if I offended you.

I was trying to find out if I need to drain the engine oil before I replace the seal.
Sorry

Old 03-23-2015, 02:57 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Unlike my '83 SC, I have not dropped the 997 engine/tranny. If the IMS is below the Rms, what the possibility that what we are seeing is actually a leaky RMS dripping down to the IMS?

Sub'd.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Went to the part department this morning. I showed them my picture and first thing they said was RMS leaking.
My theory is maybe the seal for the IMS or RMS is leaking and brake dust stick to that area. From looking at my picture, I only see brake dust surround the IMS. This lead me to think that my IMS seal is not good.
So I bought one IMS seal and will replace it with the RMS tonight.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Yes Bill at South Shore Performance did the work, just returned from a track event at VIR, no problems.

Yes you have to drain the oil to change the IMS seal, there will be oil in there even if you drain it so be ready. My RMS was not leaking, but was changed anyway since we were in there. Yours is a little wet at the bottom so be safe and change it.

I installed the DOF only because I go to DE's and wanted a little extra insurance. If it was a street car only I would have just changed the IMS seal.

By the way, that's clutch dust, not brake dust.

Last edited by Karl B; 03-23-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Forgot to add.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Yes Bill at South Shore Performance did the work, just returned from a track event at VIR, no problems. Yes you have to drain the oil to change the IMS seal, there will be oil in there even if you drain it so be ready. My RMS was not leaking, but was changed anyway since we were in there. Yours is a little wet at the bottom so be safe and change it. I installed the DOF only because I go to DE's and wanted a little extra insurance. If it was a street car only I would have just changed the IMS seal. By the way, that's clutch dust, not brake dust.
What's the price to replace the seal

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question with IMS while replacing my clutch. Please help