997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone tried quater mile your Carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:22 AM
Jason-RS is on a distinguished road
Anyone tried quater mile your Carrera S

Will be competing in the first official quarter mile competition in Shanghai next weekend so I thought I can use some tips from the forum. I am in the rear wheel drive NA group. So the competition is a few C63 AMGs including a 507, a C7 corvette and another stock 991 carrera S.

My car has recaro bucket seats, striped out in the back with a cage, light weight wheels and light weight brakes. Altogether 80 kilos lighter than the stock car and I guess the full exhaust system makes about 20 extra hps. Any chance I might win this thig?

Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 AM
Jason-RS is on a distinguished road
Only concern I have is that I dd a C63 AMG, and some times on a track. The AMG feels faster in the straight line both on the road and on the track. I did some research that a standard C63 507 does 12.3 quarter mile while a standard 997.1 Carrera S does a 12.6. So my not so stock 997.2 Carrera S should be as fast if not faster than a 507?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
All I have to say is... why?lol

Old 07-06-2015, 09:44 AM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
I guess I'd have to say... it is your car to enjoy as you please... so why not? (That said: Autocross is more fun though in our cars so if you get the chance you should try that too).

It appears in the thumbnail that you have a 997.2. Is it a PDK or a manual?

Here are some thoughts/advice if you want it. I previously did drag racing on motorcycles. While power certainly plays a part, races can be won or lost by several other things other than power. Understanding these things can help stack the deck in your favor:
- Make sure you understand how staging and the tree works at the track you are going to (there is more than one style of light sequencing). You don't want to figure it out on the fly your first time on the track. Mentally practice your launch timing by watching other cars running before you.
- Understand that if you wait to see the green light to launch you are already late. You have to learn the pattern of the lights on the tree and anticipate the green. Failure to do so can cost you several car lengths just on the launch. Of course, if you launch early you are disqualified so err on the side of being just a moment late until you have it all down pat.
- A PDK car will be at least 0.2secs faster than a manual tranny driven by a really good driver. Someone not really good at ultra-fast manual shifting will lose even more. If you miss a shift you lose a lot of time. Be sure not to accidentally downshift when quickly shifting a manual! Keep cool to prevent such mistakes.
- Use Sport Plus in a PDK. I don't think launch mode will be necessary unless you really want to do that. The launch surface at a strip (if it is a real strip) is very sticky (my motorcycles boots would stick to it a little) due to the amount of rubber laid down by the thousands of vehicles before you. I also don't recommend the burnout in our cars. I think you will have plenty of traction as it is. Again, use Sport Plus if you have it to minimize interference from the electronic nannies.
- In the heat of the moment in a manual car it is easy to hit the rev limiter and lose a lot of time. Shift a tad early if you aren't sure you will nail it every time.
- Don't do your runs on a cold engine. Porsche engines don't like that. Sometimes the engine can cool off a lot between runs depending on how they manage their lanes and the number of cars present. Conversely, don't let it get too hot by just endlessly idling.
- Don't turn off you engine right after the run. Let the water and oil circulate for several minutes to move heat away from any hot spots. Let the temperature gauges return to whatever is normal for you car/location first.

Despite possibly worrying you with all of the above, just make sure to stay relaxed and calm. It is harder to get it all right if you tense up. If you hit the track confident that you understand everything that is going to happen you will be able to relax a lot more.

Last edited by StormRune; 07-06-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:37 PM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
Here. And see image.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...nd-pdk-feature

Also, learn to power shift. Here's a good tutorial:
http://nineballgarage.com/2015/05/pr...ting-a-manual/

Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
usually comes down to tires. what are you running?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:48 PM
gt2rsobsessed will become famous soon enough
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...nd-pdk-feature

One excerpt: "Disclaimer: Most owners won’t likely subject their cars to this abuse, which is why we created the 5-to-60-mph statistic. In that instance, hard acceleration begins with the car already rolling at 5 mph in first gear and with the clutch engaged. The driver then simply floors the gas pedal, and the clock starts. That test gives a good idea of a vehicle’s real-world acceleration ability. So, when it comes to an all-out maximum acceleration run, it might be best to leave a launch this severe to the experts, and by experts we mean the parking valets at your country club."

Old 07-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Your timeslip showing your 60ft time is going to make or break your runs.

I haven't dug deep for RWD 911 quarter mile times, but my guess is 1.7 or 1.8x 60fts s/b your goal. 1.9s are decent for a front-engine, 12 second RWD car but your weight distribution should allow better than that. If you're at 2.0 or worse (due to wheelspin, lifting off the throttle or hesitation), you're not doing well or the surface is too slick.

Research dragtimes.com and see what others have reported. Maybe Rennlist has a fast list?

Most importantly, good luck, have fun and be sure to leave the line on the last yellow, NOT the green light.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM
The R will become famous soon enough
I've made a few passes with my car just to see what it would do. Stock car, 50k miles, 6 speed 997.1 C2S, I ran 12.8 @ 111 on a 90 degree day. I would expect a tenth or two quicker with a 60/70 degree ambient temp. I wasn't trying to really lunch the car and it was the first time I've ever launched this car since owning it. The 12.8 was the first pass. Ran two 12.9s after that.

That same nigh there was a guy with a auto 997.1 C2S and it was running consistently in the 13.0-13.2 @ 108-109 range.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:29 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I would bet the C63 is a tad faster but all close enough to be determined by the timing of the launch. Have fun and remember the 911 wasn t designed as a 1/4 mile car, LOL.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:44 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
hope u got a PDK

not really worth abusing ur manual for 1/4 IMHO

the chance of u burning out ur clutch is high if u rev to 4-5k rpm unless u had lotta practice dropping the hammer on a Pcar.
And the wheel hops are not fun either.

still, let us know what happened. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The R
I've made a few passes with my car just to see what it would do. Stock car, 50k miles, 6 speed 997.1 C2S, I ran 12.8 @ 111 on a 90 degree day. I would expect a tenth or two quicker with a 60/70 degree ambient temp. I wasn't trying to really lunch the car and it was the first time I've ever launched this car since owning it. The 12.8 was the first pass. Ran two 12.9s after that.

That same nigh there was a guy with a auto 997.1 C2S and it was running consistently in the 13.0-13.2 @ 108-109 range.
Light as your car is, I would guess 12.5s or better with that trap speed. Depends on the 60ft you achieved.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:41 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Like I said why?... Porsche's are not drag cars,but to each their own! Good luck!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:38 AM
The R will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Light as your car is, I would guess 12.5s or better with that trap speed. Depends on the 60ft you achieved.
On normal street tires, it would be damn hard in my opinion. The car is just not geared for that as well as it's power curve. Maybe an X51 option car. Now with drag radials and the willingness to tear up ish, I could definitely get better than a 12.5.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by The R
On normal street tires, it would be damn hard in my opinion. The car is just not geared for that as well as it's power curve. Maybe an X51 option car. Now with drag radials and the willingness to tear up ish, I could definitely get better than a 12.5.
Do you recall your 60ft in the 12.8 run? The gearing would only be an issue if it was on your 12.8 run. Otherwise the 111mph trap speed is halfway there.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 07-07-2015 at 12:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried quater mile your Carrera S