997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Intake sound mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 03:37 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
997.2 Intake sound mod

I know there's a simple mod to the 997.1 airbox that bypasses the Helmholtz regulator, which improves the intake sound. Is there something like that for the 997.2?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:32 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Pyres make sure your air box has the aramid screen instead of the plain plastic covers.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:15 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
The addition of aftermarket (K&N, BMC) air filters may add a little intake noise over the stock paper filters.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:36 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
No way to permanently block off the Helmholtz chamber?

Old 05-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Edman951 is on a distinguished road
Today I tried driving without the air box cover. I am using BMC filters.
There is a nice sound increase. very noticable from inside.
Top end screams nice, and even at low revs you hear the intake sound.

Factory lower box keep heat rise from the filters.
And the air inlets still bring air cool air to the filters.

Not a power gain thing, its more for sound.

Simple 8 screws to get off or back on.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
You are going to put back on the cover right?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Edman951 is on a distinguished road
Was planning to try it open for a few days.
Why? Do you foresee a problem?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:27 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
There is some hot engine bay air entering the airbox now that the top cover and snorkels have been removed. Sound has been gained but power is being lost. How much lost power is debatable. Honestly you probably wouldn't notice unless driving on the track or driving on a really hot day.

Dry weather driving is fine. Wet weather driving or washing the car can get the filters wet degrading airflow. Too wet and water can get sucked into the intake and possibly the engine.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:58 AM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
^^^ That's why I was asking,exactly what semicycler stated!

Old 05-11-2016, 02:58 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't worry about water ingestion unless the filter is completely submerged or water is actively being sprayed on the filters with a hose or something while the engine is running. Thousands of 911 owners run around every day with aftermarket intake with open filter elements without hydrolocking.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:42 PM
The main reason for saying no on running it like this is the fact that there isn't an Air Dam around the filters to protect from the warm air entering and or large amounts of water being sucked into the filters when you take the stock filter covers off to get a nice sound!Yes, it take's larger amounts of water to cause damage (hydrolocking)and short sprays of water into the throttle body can blast carbon off in the combustion chambers and pistons domes...anymore than that your asking for serious $$$ engine issues and will be so detrimental to an engine!!! Bottom line keep an air filter cover on! (the choice is yours)...and how it was designed in the first place! IMHO!!!

Last edited by MYC2SPC; 05-11-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:31 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Porsche covered it for a reason. To keep hot air out. End of story

Old 05-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Gary B has a spectacular aura aboutGary B has a spectacular aura about
I found the intake sound I was seeking by adding the BMC Filter, GT3 Throttle Body & GT3 Plenum. Intake sound and increased throttle response. Very easy mod; I did myself, start to finish 2 hours in my garage.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Does replacing the OEM filter with a BMC make that big of a difference?

Old 05-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Gary B has a spectacular aura aboutGary B has a spectacular aura about
Gasongasoff- I noticed a bit more intake sound, not increase or decrease on fuel mileage, but who is counting. Some people claim a better peddle response at low rpm's I however couldn't say that I did. It's nice be be able to clean and replace the filter instead of buying a new one. I'm sure the car breaths better. Hope that helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Intake sound mod