997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Michelin tires on national back order: WTH?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:21 AM
koenbro is on a distinguished road
Michelin tires on national back order: WTH?

I need to replace the rear tires on my 2007 C4s and it turns out the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are completely unavailable, with no ETA. Even if one makes allowance for the odd size and likely small demand, that is still pretty shocking. What alternative have you tried and what do you recommend? Daily driver, street driven, I value quiet running (not that our cars are *that* quiet, but would rather not add running noise).

Last edited by koenbro; 01-15-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:36 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
afaik MPSS 305's are out of stock

I replaced mine with 295s (19') MPSS

Old 06-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
They have been in and out of stock since 2012, nothing new. They can't keep up with demand. I ended buying a set of slightly used MPSS on ebay.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Greg2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGreg2010 has a spectacular aura about
In reality, 911 demand for Michelin 305 tires is relatively low compared to the demand from other higher production cars with OEM Michelin tires (so perhaps tire production for our 911s are a low priority for Michelin).

There already has been a lot written about this on this and other forums. Unfortunately from what I recall, Michelin shut down production at one of their major sites and is still in the process of transferring work to other locations. It has also been reported recently that Michelin is already planning a replacement for the MPSS as well.

As frustrating as this has been, Michelin remains very tight lipped on the subject over the past 1-2 years, which is not what you would expect for a company like Michelin.

In the meantime, you might want to take a look at PS2s (albeit at much higher price point, which I'm sure is what Michelin would prefer)! However, you might also want to shop around, as there are other more affordable alternatives that perform very well, such as the S-04 (that also is 50% less cost).

Good luck!

Last edited by Greg2010; 06-02-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Edman951 is on a distinguished road
i went with 295 PSS with my new wheel, had no choice.
But dame the PSS are so worth it do. so much grip in a 4S.
Plus the 295 are lighter, so its a win-win !!!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:55 PM
I use 295s on my winter wheel set...they fit pretty well ...but I definitely prefer the grip and fit of 305s for the summer!

Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 AM
love2drive is on a distinguished road
PS2s are n-spec and readily available.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:44 AM
millertimefl is on a distinguished road
For fun check with your P dealer on availability. I had the same issue a few years ago where tire rack was on back order and the dealership had no problem getting them and they matched tirerack price...and a 10% PCA discount!

Old 06-03-2016, 02:06 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Michelin decided to consolidate three plants that manufacture high performance tires into one plant. They began the project late 2014. For almost all of 2015 no high performance tires were available. Starting late 2015 (December) I heard rumors that PS2s and PSS were trickling in.

I contacted my dealer and my local Indy in March of this year as I got ready to swap over to my summer tires (PSS). I picked up a set of 4 mid-March from my Indy. He said that as the summer approached and people looked to swap to their warm set up, the demand would skyrocket and the PS2s, PSS and PS Cup tires would again be on back order and Michelin would not be able to keep up with demand.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:00 AM
R33_ will become famous soon enough
Check your local Porsche dealers.
Michellin priorities in supplying the 305's to the Porsche dealers first before anyone else.
I managed to get a set from my local dealer a few weeks ago. If you are local to me, lmk, I may be able to help.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Michelin produces these tires in campaigns. That is, only a few times per year so they availability goes up and down during the year. Pirelli, on the other hand, has a modular system and is able to switch back and for between designs and sizes more easily. Therefore, always available. I was looking at the PSSs and PS2s a few months ago and went with the PS2 as they are N rated. Both were available from Tire Rack at the time. Earlier this year if you searched for PSSs for a 911 a tire rack, you would see that they were offering PSSs rated for Cadillacs as an alternative rear tire. They were being sourced from the US rather than France but the tread width and depth were different than those sourced from France.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Nastee_C4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Greg2010
In reality, 911 demand for Michelin 305 tires is relatively low compared to the demand from other higher production cars with OEM Michelin tires (so perhaps tire production for our 911s are a low priority for Michelin).

There already has been a lot written about this on this and other forums. Unfortunately from what I recall, Michelin shut down production at one of their major sites and is still in the process of transferring work to other locations. It has also been reported recently that Michelin is already planning a replacement for the MPSS as well.

As frustrating as this has been, Michelin remains very tight lipped on the subject over the past 1-2 years, which is not what you would expect for a company like Michelin.

I actually just spoke to my local dealership about the same issue here in Indianapolis. I have found myself in need of 2 rear and 1 up front. And was told that the MPSS rears are back ordered but they can get me the fronts next day. But they suggested that I upgrade to the replacement of the MPSS.(which were around $500 more than the MPSS per set) Replacements for the fronts are now available and the rears wont be available til mid august. If this is any help to you.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:59 AM
The 305s have been on backorder for a long, long time. I put my name on the list to receive the tires back in November, when Michelin again said they would be back in production in 3-4 more months (which I did not put too much faith in since the schedule has been slipping for the past 1-2 years, although they did have a small production run last year that was far lower than the pent up demand). The 235s have been in/out of production over the same period as well.

I'm not aware that Michelin has launched the MPSS replacement yet (if I recall, Michelin has been vague but others are estimating late 2016/early 2017). Let's hope they don't mess with the recipe too much and instead focus on just making tires!

The alternative that your dealer may have been referring to are the PS2s, which are different than MPSS, but are also very good tires and available in 305s...but expensive.

So for me, after receiving feedback from others and researching it to death, I pulled the trigger on 4 S-04s last March (at 50% less cost than PS2s) and am very pleased with their overall performance and value.

Last edited by Greg2010; 06-05-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:23 AM
koenbro is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Greg2010
[...] So for me, after receiving feedback from others and researching it to death, I pulled the trigger on 4 S-04s last March (at 50% less cost than PS2s) and am very pleased with their overall performance and value.
Greg, what do you mean by S-04?

Old 06-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Price for two 305/30/R19 and two 235/35/R19 tires before tax (OEM size on C4S):

*. Bridgestone Potenza Pole S-04: $875

* Michelin Pilot Super Sports (rear tires out of stock): $1,250

* Michelin Pilot Sport PS2: $1,785

As you can see, you can get a complete set of 4 new S-04 tires for half the cost of PS2s.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin tires on national back order: WTH?