Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:53 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by irish07
The new black filters do get stuck pretty good even when lubed. I torque them to 18nm and still have times that the threaded adapter comes out.
I've never seen that on another car. I suppose it's too hard to clean it of all oil to apply some blue loctite.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I've never seen that on another car. I suppose it's too hard to clean it of all oil to apply some blue loctite.
I clean it and apply green loctite, torque the adapter to 27nm and it should stay stuck there and not come out with the filter next service( providing you don't torque the filter more than 18nm)

Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flinder
I am also a wannabe Vantage mechanic.

My fix was to take a putty knife with a thin flexible blade and to tap it, gently, between the interface of the steel filter and cast aluminum block. About 40% of the circumference was reachable. Followed up with a liberal squirt of penetrating oil and 5 minutes of patience.

Easy, peasy, out it came...could have removed it with my fingers.

Senator Blutarsky, nothing is easy, if it was, everyone would do it. But doesn't it make you feel good when you succeed?
I personally would not recommend inserting anything between the filter and the aluminum mounting surface. If the oil filter,s mounting surface is compromised in any way the oil filter might not seal. Then you will have a much larger problem than removing a stuck filter.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:04 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by embdenb
I personally would not recommend inserting anything between the filter and the aluminum mounting surface. If the oil filter,s mounting surface is compromised in any way the oil filter might not seal. Then you will have a much larger problem than removing a stuck filter.
+ 1 on your way if thinking

Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
My research tells me that the FRAM 9010 has a 9/16psi by pass pressure and the WIX57302 has a 16psi valve . Coincidentally if you go on Rock Auto site it says that the two filters are compatible with each other .
When I bought the car it had a Bosch filter on it but I cant remember the number for it .The car was serviced at a local indy sports car dealer prior to me getting the car .
I have found a local supplier for WIX so maybe I will give that one a test .
Telum has a reasonable price for his parts but when you factor in the shipping costs they become less attractive .

Old 01-15-2017, 07:58 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
Telum has a reasonable price for his parts but when you factor in the shipping costs they become less attractive .
The overwhelming majority of my customers buy the packages rather than just the filters alone. The savings in those packages is big enough that shipping costs are a non issue since total cost still represents a big savings. For example, an oil change package and 11L of oil costs about two hundred bucks including shipping. Add in the free DIY guides and an hour of your time, and your oil change costs 1/3 what a dealership would charge. Shipping is always going to suck for a single item, which is part of why I have the maintenance packages.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
We all want to save money, however when evaluating RedPants prices it should be done against suppliers offering original AM parts.
My opinion is that we should support these small business operated by enthusiasts of the cars we own. I am not suggesting that one should pay more, however if his prices are equal to or less that the dealer or any other supplier offering genuine AM parts, then I support getting our parts from him. (Just my opinion)

Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I'm sure many guys would support redpants, .... my problem is I live in Africa on the south, making shipping expensive ....
If I lived in the island where god and Jesus move freely everyday, the country untouched from the corrupt ANC hand ( read USA) it would be a no brainer

You guys have no idea how lucky you have it in the fee world in the mean time I will drown my sorrows in single malt Glen and accept the costs of day to day items that cost more than it does to feed a African child for 60! Years

Old 01-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
I agree with supporting small buisnesses and also what Telum has done and continues to do for Us all as Aston owners however when I can buy 10 litres of Castrol liquid gold 10w60 of flea bay or amazon for 100$ with free shipping and get a Wix compatible oil filter for another 10$ with free shipping it makes it harder and harder to justify helping small business .

Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by captain Greg
I'm sure many guys would support redpants, .... my problem is I live in Africa on the south, making shipping expensive ....
If I lived in the island where god and Jesus move freely everyday, the country untouched from the corrupt ANC hand ( read USA) it would be a no brainer

You guys have no idea how lucky you have it in the fee world in the mean time I will drown my sorrows in single malt Glen and accept the costs of day to day items that cost more than it does to feed a African child for 60! Years
Shipping is bad, plus those import duties. Shipping and import duties cost me quite a bit for bringing inventory in from England, but adding the SA tariffs to that is just bad! I'm really efficient at packaging so it might still come out worthwhile if you and a couple other guys want to split a shipment, though.

I agree with supporting small buisnesses and also what Telum has done and continues to do for Us all as Aston owners however when I can buy 10 litres of Castrol liquid gold 10w60 of flea bay or amazon for 100$ with free shipping and get a Wix compatible oil filter for another 10$ with free shipping it makes it harder and harder to justify helping small business .
There's no way I can compete on a price basis with an eBay retailer selling off-the-shelf oil filters. I've got some of the best pricing around for OEM parts, but really it's comparing apples to oranges because there's no way to align those prices. I started Redpants because there was a demand for it, and it's going better than I expected. I'm an enthusiast that found an awesome way to start a small business. I'm putting an obscene amount of effort into it, and now that I'm a sponsor on here I'm paying a couple hundred bucks per month just to continue to contribute to the forum. But I'm still not pushing sales and I'm not spamming ads.

Some people want the absolute lowest prices, and that's fine. I'm that way with certain things and I think it's safe to say everyone is. But what I've seen over the last year is that a lot of people are so happy with the money I'm saving them on OEM parts that the risk of non-OEM parts isn't worth the risk for a little more savings. That, plus all that free stuff I provide, is more than worth it to them, so even if they find lower prices elsewhere, they're happy to pay a little more because of everything else I do for them. I've gotten messages from a lot of people thanking me for the free services I provide - the DIY guides, the videos, and the extensive help I give people with everything from repairs to car buying to upgrade paths - and that, plus continued sales, tells me I'm on the right path.

I also get a lot of people thanking me for helping them work on their car at all. Wrenching on an Aston is really intimidating, and you'd be amazed at how many guys just want to sit in their garage and do the maintenance on their pride and joy, but don't even know where to begin. These guys are getting to do that, plus getting the parts and supplies they need for a really low price compared to dealerships, and I'm making a few bucks. Everyone wins, everyone's happy.

I've got a fairly 'relaxed' business model in that it's based on being a part of the community and letting my passion lead the way. So far so good, and I've got no intention of deviating from it. That was a bit of rambling, but hopefully it helps in the context of this conversation.

Last edited by Redpants; 01-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
I agree with most of what's said above. I'd buy from Redpants where appropriate but the cross border (US to Canada) shipping for things like oil kills that option. Maybe when the business grows and you open up a new branch in Canada

Anyway, while in the USA I can buy stuff and just take it back with me so that order that just came in Rich is from me - you can ship to me in SC and I'll take them back with me when I get home in spring.

Edit: BTW - I didn't order oil filters - that'd be silly - I ordered brake pads.

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-17-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Scotty4300 is on a distinguished road
V8V Oil Filters

Capt Greg : My daughter came from London for Xmas. Had 2 OEM oil filters in her checked suitcase .Cost about R500 -thats R250 each.
Well worth it for the real filters--you must know someone travelling in your profession?

Old 01-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Scotty4300
Capt Greg : My daughter came from London for Xmas. Had 2 OEM oil filters in her checked suitcase .Cost about R500 -thats R250 each.
Well worth it for the real filters--you must know someone travelling in your profession?
I do no many airline pilots who globe trot, they say f$$$c him if he can drive an Aston and the other British super car he can afford the maintenance

I do send my wife shopping a few times per year (so I can chase skirt this side without being called home for dinner) she brought me half a HD last week in her luggage.

I have purchased from AM bits and found the pricing very good, I will buy from redpants as and when needed but I must confess my Vantage did less than 1000km in the last year so it's not high on my maintenance list right now.

.... the sweat on the timing cover is something I may have done but Daytona wants ZAR 56000.00 for that making the db11 attractive)

Old 05-20-2017, 05:30 AM
Aral is on a distinguished road
After change oil pleas build oil pressure before starting the engine.

How to do ?
Push clutch and gas pedal and hold it there, push the start button 4 sec do it 2 times. Engine will not start and the oil will sirculate and reduse it for future damaged.
regards
Aral Celayir
​​​​​

Old 08-01-2017, 03:35 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Tip from an AM tech at Newport Beach, push the pistons back in with the bleeder open so you're flushing the fluid that's in the caliper, which would have been subjected to the highest heat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change