Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:16 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Np Telum, That's the point - Is there more to it than just a fancy winged label. I didn't think so and have done prior oil changes with what I believed to be a compatible alternative (if not the same one unlabelled) so till Scotty4300 posted that RV value - if he's right - then yes there is more to it. It's unfiltered oil, not clogs from infrequent changes that is the issue.

I do know that most AM models in the 60's - 90's used RV ratings that were more in line with tractors than cars - but not uncommon for racing cars. Many used either the Donaldson P553771 or the P550052 - these have RV's in the 29-35psi range. If you put a Pep Boys Fram in one of these depending on the required flow rates you have a high risk of significant oil flow straight through with all the contaminants unfiltered.

Unless I can establish it is not 23 psi my next oil change might use an Aston Martin oil filter until I can have two tested to see what the RV value actually is, that is unless Scotty4300 can clarify where his info came from?

Aston Martin Donaldson Filters 1966-1995
Donaldson P553771 Specification:
Lube Filters Product Attributes
Outer Diameter: 3.66 Inches (93 MM)
Thread Size: 1-12 UN
Length: 7.87 Inches (200 MM)
Gasket OD: 2.81 Inches (71 MM)
Gasket ID: 2.42 Inches (61 MM)
Efficiency 50%: 20 Micron
Anti Drain Valve: Yes
Bypass Valve Setting: 29-36 PSI (2.0-2.5 BAR)

Last edited by BMW-North; 12-07-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I've seen the 23 psi rating stated as well, and going back a long time before Scotty4300 mentioned it. Not sure where it originated from, but it's become an internet-accepted "fact", so to speak.

As for the high rating, could the dry sump be the reason for it?

Last edited by Redpants; 12-07-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Don, You choose an aftermarket for the same reasons I went for the OE alternately supplied - Price and convenience

As I stated I can't say any of the filters you offered were not right - well except that FL2021 - but perhaps Rock Auto have it right and Summit Racing got it wrong.

As far as the WIX filters go I bought several of the 57302 in my quest for the correct AMv8 filter - even cutting one in half- it is very well put together and meets almost all of the AMv8 OEM filter specs with the exception of one (not the believed RV). I had matched the specs for my oil filter to what I knew at the time were the AMv8 specs till I read this thread.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Redpants
I've seen the 23 psi rating stated as well, and going back a long time before Scotty4300 mentioned it. Not sure where it originated from, but it's become an internet-accepted "fact", so to speak.

As for the high rating, could the dry sump be the reason for it?
I think this value comes form a post few years back at AMOC where a member was generalising about AM oil filters - I do not think it is accurate for the 4.3L AMv8 engine which I hate to say is a dressed up Ford.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:09 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BMW-North
I think this value comes form a post few years back at AMOC where a member was generalising about AM oil filters - I do not think it is accurate for the 4.3L AMv8 engine which I hate to say is a dressed up Ford.
It does come from AMOC and it pertains to the V12, NOT the V8. So anything you read about 23 psid bypass is someone indiscriminately taking info for one motor type and then applying to a completely different motor type w/o any justification.

You can pretty much take it to the bank that a Jag V8 and an Aston V8 use the same filter.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:14 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Nothing wrong with a dressed up Ford....speaking of Ford engines, the new GT350R flat plane crank is a killer NA engine!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Nothing wrong with a dressed up Ford....speaking of Ford engines, the new GT350R flat plane crank is a killer NA engine!
Sorry wasnt trying to disparage Ford, Just wasn't expecting to ever own one of their engines.

Last edited by BMW-North; 12-07-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
It does come from AMOC and it pertains to the V12, NOT the V8. So anything you read about 23 psid bypass is someone indiscriminately taking info for one motor type and then applying to a completely different motor type w/o any justification.

You can pretty much take it to the bank that a Jag V8 and an Aston V8 use the same filter.
I'm hoping you're correct. Waiting to hear from the poster of the info that is the source.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Cloneman315 is on a distinguished road
Wix filters are very nice.... I would stay far away from fram!

Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 AM
Scotty4300 is on a distinguished road
I have a note in my service diary giving filter dimensions and specs but I dont remember the source.The entry is about 3 years ago.This is where I picked up the 23PSi.
Although the non OEM manufactures list their oil filters as replacement for Jaguar V8 ,Range Rover etc it is curious that they dont list them as suitable for Aston Martin.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Non OE Option for Oil Filter: Wix Filter for AMv8

Originally Posted by Cloneman315
Wix filters are very nice.... I would stay far away from fram!
I thoroughly agree. High quality and now that I know the spec for the AMv8 RV is not 23 psi the 57302 specs line up nicely for my AMv8. Wix were once an OE supplier to Aston Martin for oil filters but I doubt they are supplying current AMv8 filters since Redpants says these are Made in France. Wix has no manufacturing plant in France and has deep roots in NC, USA, a plant in Mexico and one here in Ontario.

Comes in Black or White.

Manufacturer Website: http://www.wixfilters.com/
Brand: Wix
Part Number: 57302
UPC: 00765809573024
Part Type: Engine Oil Filter

Principal Application: Ford Thunderbird (03-05), Lincoln LS (02-06), Land Rover (05-09), Jaguar (06-10)
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Height: 4.225
Outer Diameter Top: 3.095
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-12
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=16/25
Burst Pressure-PSI: 375
Max Flow Rate: 12-15 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21
Duty Type LD
MediaType Enhanced Cellulose
Inner Diameter Top Closed
Class A

Wix 57302 Oil Filter OE Cross Reference Compatibility
Ford
Thunderbird: 2003 - 2005
Jaguar
S-Type: 2006 - 2008
Super V8: 2005 - 2009
Vanden Plas: 2006 - 2009
XF: 2009 - 2010
XJ8: 2006 - 2009
XJR: 2006 - 2009
XK: 2007 - 2009
XK8: 2006
XKR: 2006 - 2009
Land Rover
LR3: 2005 - 2009
Range Rover: 2006 - 2009
Range Rover Sport: 2006 - 2009
Lincoln
LS: 2002 - 2006

Wix 57302 for Ford Jaguar and Land Rover Engines

Edit: You should know that I have not looked at any other requirements beyond the AMv8v 4.3 liter that was in MY 06-08 - so the info I posted above may ONLY be applicable to that.

Last edited by BMW-North; 12-08-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: This is applicable to the AMv8 4.3 06-08
Old 12-08-2016, 03:56 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough

If anything, the V8 is the least Ford of the two AM engines. The V12 is pretty much a couple of V6 Duratec engines lined up together.

I have 2 WIX premium filters for the Jag 4.2 but without confirmation of the relief pressure, I won't use them on the AM. Unfortunately, WIX does not offer an XP version of this filter.

Disassembly of the filter and inspection won't tell you the relief pressure, it either needs to be done by testing the spring and measuring pressure area or doing a pressure test on a working filter. I just did an oil change (and used the AM filter that I found for $26 shipped) and have kept the previous AM filter that came off it. If anyone has the ability to do a test on the pressure relief valve I'd be happy to send the filter to them on my dime.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-08-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:07 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
OEM versus non-OEM . Simple cost ...its a filter not rocket science and as I said if you change your oil more than regularly as I do then I really dont care if the filter is white ,black ,orange ,purple ,pink with polka dots or has a fancy wings logo on it that no one sees . Its a filter and those fancy black or white ones with the wings logo on are probably just repainted Fram or Bosch or whoevers filters with a jacked up price .

This has very little to do with the age of the oil. The point of the filter is to remove particulate contaminants from the oil. The particles are introduced into the oil as soon as it is used. Bypassing the filter, no matter how new the oil is, introduces the particulates back into the engine to allow them to grind away at journals, walls, and bearing surfaces.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by blue2000s
If anything, the V8 is the least Ford of the two AM engines. The V12 is pretty much a couple of V6 Duratec engines lined up together.

I have 2 WIX premium filters for the Jag 4.2 but without confirmation of the relief pressure, I won't use them on the AM. Unfortunately, WIX does not offer an XP version of this filter.
You mean without having confirmation of the RV setting on the current AM filter? The RV setting for the Wix filter above is 16 psi - it's in their specs. If it were a filter with 7 or 8 psi I would be concerned.

I'm satisfied that the introduction of 23psi into this thread originated from a thread at AMOC that was neither for this engine, nor was it verified, and later was admitted unverified. Here's the thread:

Topic: V-12 Oil Filter Identification Puzzle Solved

I believe what you are saying then is no one on this board/forum actually knows what the required engine lubrication system RV relief spec is for our engines, so to be safe we should just use whatever filter AM is putting out - cause they know?

Having just installed a Ford t-stat while putting in the Ford spec oil filter, and dropping in a couple of Ford cabin filters and clearing the ECU with Ford WDS - I'll take my chances that it followed suit with similar Ford v8 conventions and is RV low 11psi and RV high 17psi. A filter within those specs meeting the other technical requirements will work for me. Others can continue to buy filters from Aston Martin - won't bother me a bit.

BTW - Testing of the RV valve is required for total verification - can be done at any manufacturer in-house lab, but you can tell quite a bit by cutting open filters as the guys at AMOC have done it often. For example the racing version of the FL820s has much thicker metal canister to withstand the higher pressures.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:58 PM
You mean without having confirmation of the RV setting on the current AM filter? The RV setting for the Wix filter above is 16 psi - it's in their specs. If it were a filter with 7 or 8 psi I would be concerned.

I'm satisfied that the introduction of 23psi into this thread originated from a thread at AMOC that was neither for this engine, nor was it verified, and later was admitted unverified. Here's the thread:

Topic: V-12 Oil Filter Identification Puzzle Solved

I believe what you are saying then is no one on this board/forum actually knows what the required engine lubrication system RV relief spec is for our engines, so to be safe we should just use whatever filter AM is putting out - cause they know?

Having just installed a Ford t-stat while putting in the Ford spec oil filter, and dropping in a couple of Ford cabin filters and clearing the ECU with Ford WDS - I'll take my chances that it followed suit with similar Ford v8 conventions and is RV low 11psi and RV high 17psi. A filter within those specs meeting the other technical requirements will work for me. Others can continue to buy filters from Aston Martin - won't bother me a bit.

BTW - Testing of the RV valve is required for total verification - can be done at any manufacturer in-house lab, but you can tell quite a bit by cutting open filters as the guys at AMOC have done it often. For example the racing version of the FL820s has much thicker metal canister to withstand the higher pressures.

Thicker walls are useless if the weak point in the filter is a seam between the canister and the bottom housing. Point being, tearing apart a filter and looking at what's inside is of very limited usefulness. The number of pleats tells almost nothing about the filtration capability and impedance of the media, likewise, looking at the construction of the spring doesn't tell you anything about it's holding pressure or how well it seals. The people who cut the filters up and compare try to make useful conclusions about the filters they are looking at, but unless they do flow and filtration tests, they are mostly wasting their time.

I have trust in the numbers that WIX supplies on their data sheets for their filters, I use WIX filters on all of my other cars (especially XP if I can get them), but unless I know that the filter is specifically designed for the car or that the filter I'm considering matches that of the car's original component, I won't use it.

The Vantage 4.3 uses a much thicker oil than the Jag 4.2 (5w30 vs 10w60), so it stands to reason that the filter will see higher pressures between the inlet and outlet sides of the media, requiring a higher pressure bypass filter. As has been stated, too low of a bypass pressure will result in mostly unfiltered oil being continuously recirculated through the engine. Until we can get an actual filter tested, I can't go on faith that the Jag filter is equivalent.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-09-2016 at 10:25 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change