Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Squeak from rear wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Squeak from rear wheel?

i've got an intermittent squeak coming from my rear passenger wheel. it speeds up when i speed up, slows down when i slow down. it's very obvious at low speeds with the windows down (and pretty embarrassing to think that everyone that sees me driving by also hears it squealing). i don't know if it's still happening at higher speeds to due road noises and whatnot.

the sound does not increase when i apply the brakes, so i don't think it's the brake pads.

i think the squeak is associated with the e-brake pads:

when i got the car back from the dealership after getting maintenance done, my e-brake wasn't properly releasing. i think this caused premature e-brake pad wear. i've heard that the e-brake calipers on the rear wheels are auto-adjusting to skim the brake rotors to keep them clean (dunno how accurate that is, though). so i'm thinking that it might be the "replace your pads" squeal coming from the e-brake pads.

i'm getting the car looked at by a local indy shop on Friday, and i'm hoping to get some good ideas as to where to start with this before i start shelling out a bunch of $$$/hr for them to hunt it down. thoughts?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
They say this is a common problem. The E-brake cables need to be adjusted.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
The E-brake cables need to be adjusted.
all of my typing and you nail it in one sentence! rock on, i hope this fixes it. i'll update on Friday. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by telum01
when i got the car back from the dealership after getting maintenance done, my e-brake wasn't properly releasing.
I haven't experienced the squeak, but I know that you can fix the "not releasing" problem by gently pulling up on the hand brake with the button depressed to gently apply the e-brake and driving for about 30 yards or so at low speed. This seems to rub off the thin layer that seems to activate the sensor when the brake isn't applied.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I've tried that a couple of times but to no effect for the squeak. Thanks for the idea, though!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM
mark higinbotha is on a distinguished road
I have also had a similar problem with my 09. Seems most noticeable at slow speeds and when turning to the left like in a parking lot. My tech knew right away when I explained it to him and said this is a common parking brake adjustment that shows up mostly on the right rear for some reason. He made the adjustment and it went away but it is now back intermittently.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM
astonboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Same problem here with my 09. Dealer also said it's a common issue but my car was a really bad one. Adjustment etc. didn't help. Meanwhile I got the rear discs and pads new (warranty) but the squeak still comes up.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Its not just the adjustment that needs to be done, otherwise it will return (be there, done that)...leading end needs to be chaffed..also fit in iso shims like the brake pads, cut to fit...all this together will delete the noise "COMPLETELY"

I have also seen the edge of the brake pad have a chunk missing..stone or something forced out section..this can be chaffed or if to large then pad will need to be replaced..otherwise noise will return

Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 PM
mark higinbotha is on a distinguished road
irish07, that is the same fix my local tech recommended to me. It sounded like a big labor bill so I have procrastinated with the hope it would somehow cure itself. I didn't notice it for a ew thousand miles. Thought maybe it was seasonal with cold wet winter weather here in Seattle.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I've got an appointment tomorrow afternoon at a local shop so hopefully we'll get it sorted out.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
IT is the ebake pads. You have to have another compound specially made. This is why I was trying to have Carbotech manufacturer a special set for the vantage owners.

Send off a set of stock ebake pads to them and they will make a set for you, I highly recommend the 1521 compound for both the main rear pad and the ebake pad so they match properly

Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
IT is the ebake pads. You have to have another compound specially made. This is why I was trying to have Carbotech manufacturer a special set for the vantage owners.

Send off a set of stock ebake pads to them and they will make a set for you, I highly recommend the 1521 compound for both the main rear pad and the ebake pad so they match properly
that's an interesting idea, i never thought of having custom pads made. couple questions:

how does the pad compound create the squeal when the e-brake should only be used when the e-brake is engaged (and not engaged when the car is in motion).

do the rear brake and e-brake pad compounds have to match? would it make a difference or affect anything if they're different?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by telum01
that's an interesting idea, i never thought of having custom pads made. couple questions:

how does the pad compound create the squeal when the e-brake should only be used when the e-brake is engaged (and not engaged when the car is in motion).

do the rear brake and e-brake pad compounds have to match? would it make a difference or affect anything if they're different?
Pads are of a hard compund..when the leaking edge becomes sharp or large build-up..the end then touchs the disc slightly while the pad is still released. The edge now being higher then the face of the pad touchs disc and causes noise.

Anyone can go and get there own set of pads made to stop this but is not needed..what I've just stated above will cure the concern..custom pad if you desire though

In a nutshell .. pads are designed with 3 things in mind ...*1: braking distance/performance/heat/faid..etc all one subject - 2: noise(how hard compund is) - 3: dust levels(customer concerns)* ..When designing the pad, you can really only choice 2 of the 3 that will out-perform..the 3rd choice of the 3 options will be it's con that you will just have to deal with.

"Most" high performance pads have noise for they are dust free and great at high heat levels ..so you get the braking performance, no dust but deal with the noise.

Manufactures try to play with the 3 "options" at best to suit the needs of the vehicle fitted and suspected clients..VH aston 's are fitted with a pad that uses rivots to hold the material to the backing plate verus a glue that can detach at high heat levels. The rivots are made of brass..the brass at times gets high heat markes and needs to be deglased and have the shims fitted to isolate the noise(thats why shims are of a rubber material)..

Old 04-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Another A++++ answer from irish07

Originally Posted by irish07
Pads are of a hard compund..when the leaking edge becomes sharp or large build-up..the end then touchs the disc slightly while the pad is still released. The edge now being higher then the face of the pad touchs disc and causes noise.

Anyone can go and get there own set of pads made to stop this but is not needed..what I've just stated above will cure the concern..custom pad if you desire though

In a nutshell .. pads are designed with 3 things in mind ...*1: braking distance/performance/heat/faid..etc all one subject - 2: noise(how hard compund is) - 3: dust levels(customer concerns)* ..When designing the pad, you can really only choice 2 of the 3 that will out-perform..the 3rd choice of the 3 options will be it's con that you will just have to deal with.

"Most" high performance pads have noise for they are dust free and great at high heat levels ..so you get the braking performance, no dust but deal with the noise.

Manufactures try to play with the 3 "options" at best to suit the needs of the vehicle fitted and suspected clients..VH aston 's are fitted with a pad that uses rivots to hold the material to the backing plate verus a glue that can detach at high heat levels. The rivots are made of brass..the brass at times gets high heat markes and needs to be deglased and have the shims fitted to isolate the noise(thats why shims are of a rubber material)..

Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vergis
Another A++++ answer from irish07
6Speed will not allow me to give irish07 any more rep! hahaha, says I need to spread it around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeak from rear wheel?