Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Avoid EBC Redstuff brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Avoid EBC Redstuff brake pads

Tired of the factory pad brake dust, I tried a set of these EBC "reds". Easy to install, about $ 250 in parts....

I expected some bedding squeal, but HOLY ****** OF NOISE, nothing prepared me for the racket coming from these pads. So loud, so irritating, it would require wearing earplugs to drive the car. To say nothing how it frightens people in other cars when you come alongside. Its Ambulance-Siren, Jet-Engine loud. Intolerable and Ridiculous.

Apparently, the internet is dirty with stories of these doing this. The solution is to mate them to new rotors, or have the existing ones re-surfaced, but at the cost of Aston rotors (and my car has only 7K miles on it), that ain't happenin'. And I don't really want to put the car on jackstands and pull all four rotors to get them machined. PITA.

Avoid these pads, gentlemen, unless you have $ 250 and a hour of your time to waste.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drcollie
Tired of the factory pad brake dust, I tried a set of these EBC "reds". Easy to install, about $ 250 in parts....

I expected some bedding squeal, but HOLY ****** OF NOISE, nothing prepared me for the racket coming from these pads. So loud, so irritating, it would require wearing earplugs to drive the car. To say nothing how it frightens people in other cars when you come alongside. Its Ambulance-Siren, Jet-Engine loud. Intolerable and Ridiculous.

Apparently, the internet is dirty with stories of these doing this. The solution is to mate them to new rotors, or have the existing ones re-surfaced, but at the cost of Aston rotors (and my car has only 7K miles on it), that ain't happenin'. And I don't really want to put the car on jackstands and pull all four rotors to get them machined. PITA.

Avoid these pads, gentlemen, unless you have $ 250 and a hour of your time to waste.
I've heard this too from EBC..there are somethings u can try to lower and possibly delete the noise..have u uses any grease on the contact points and did they come with the insulate shims(black sticker material) to stick on the pad backing plate?

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't try the brake goop by Permatex, etc. and the shims that came with them are metal clip-on's which obviously are not working very well! I'll have to see if I can locate some insulate shims? Black sticky material? Have a source, Irish?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
I have just installed yellow pads on the rear. Used loads of worth brake paste between shims and pad and shims and caliper. Also filed edges of the pad.

Get the odd squel but its improving slowly. EBC state give it a few hundred miles. Yellow or red.

Front EBC were installed after calipers refurbed and never made a noise. So there could be a caliper effectiveness question that can be the 1% contributing factor to an annoying problem.

EBC sell shims too and when you install them make sure the little clips around the edges are prised onto the pad that can be slightly smaller. I reused the old ones after cleaning them with brake cleaner.

Last edited by Vergis; 08-14-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
I used EBC Redstuff pads for years. They always performed well when warm, and put out very little brake dust.

However, as with any combination of brake setup, something has to give; either the pads wear or the disc wears. Since EBC Redstuff has a Kevlar embedded material, it cuts into the disc more and causes more wear on the disc. They also work better when hot...when cold they are not as efficient (the Redstuff pads). They are not as responsive in stop-n-go traffic as "regular" (semi-metallic) pads.

The last set I used cut severely into the discs on my wife's car. Because of the abnormal disc wear I haven't used them now for a year or so.

Haven't tried their Yellowstuff or Greenstuff pads.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 AM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
Try the porterfield pads, a little more pricey at around 400 for a set. I am on my second set, one I put on without changing the rotors, the other after putting on the new two piece rotors from Stu. Neither squealed, the brake dust is way down and the bite/grip of the pad on the new rotors is awesome. I will be tracking the car in the fall, can't wait to see the difference.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drcollie
I didn't try the brake goop by Permatex, etc. and the shims that came with them are metal clip-on's which obviously are not working very well! I'll have to see if I can locate some insulate shims? Black sticky material? Have a source, Irish?
I've installed EBC on my own car, but they came with the shims, I've had red stuff and now green to try and avoid dust, my own opinion, will not be using again but I did delete the squeal..just I used the Aston brake grease which is TUNAP 113..the shims could be bought from ur Aston dealer if there near by..think list price is around 17-20$ for vehicle set...all they really do is break the metal to metal contact in the caliper piston and pad backing plate, isolates the noise and doesn't allow it to travel through the metal to amplify the noise

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-15-2013, 07:15 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ work for carbon ceramic squeal?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
It does help if you do a whole brake maintence correctly and chaff the leading edges...but the main fault with the CCM brakes is when ppl pressure wash them while cleaning the wheels, or spray wheel spine on the..the discs just soak everything up like a sponge and result in a squeal

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-15-2013, 07:24 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
I don't use a pressure washer or wheel cleaners on the CCBs, just regular ole car wash soap. seems like mine only squeal when they have a little brake dust on them. Normal?

BTW, what is the proper way to clean CCB?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I think its really important to always us some type of high-quality Grease/Lubricant on the back of pads when you install them. This is what I used when I replaced my rear brakes with Carbotech Pads.
Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

I still have a little squeak at the last part of the stop coming from one wheel, so I'll put a little more product on the backs of those pads.

Here's another possible product that has excellent reviews

Amazon.com: CRC 5351 Brake Caliper Synthetic Grease, 2.5 Wt Oz: Automotive Amazon.com: CRC 5351 Brake Caliper Synthetic Grease, 2.5 Wt Oz: Automotive

Does anyone else have experience with either of these products.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I love the Porterfields, and have only had good reviews for them. I'm giving away one more set for free at the moment with a set of the brake rotors! Scroll down to post 74:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mpleted-5.html

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 PM
OK, went to the AM dealer and got a set of rubberized shims that have an adhesive backing on them, and I also bought the Permatex Extreme Ceramic Brake Lube. Since it looks like the rubberized shims have a 1-time adhesive on them, I have to make sure to di the sequence correct.

The EBC pads each come with a metal shim that is removable and clips on.

For those in the know, do I use the rubberized shims in place of the metal shims or in addition to them? And if they are used with the metal shims, do they go between the pad and the shim, or on that outside of the shim where it contacts the caliper?

And where do I use the Permatex brake lube in all of this? Want to get it right the first time....TIA

Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^^ The metal shim attaches to the back of the pad and the rubber isolator adheres to that. Then put a thin layer of Permatex on the back of the shim and let it dry before putting the pad back on the car.

Last edited by karlfranz; 08-20-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks Karl,

So the procedure would be:

* Ditch the metal shims that come with the EBC pads
* Install the rubberized Aston Martin shims (adhesive) onto the back of the pads
* Coat the rubber shims lightly with the Permatex and let dry.
* Install

Makes sense to me!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Avoid EBC Redstuff brake pads