Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

iPhone 6 -- there's got to be a better way...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish07
Yours is after market though right? From what you described it's a FM modulator styled kit..this new BT kit from Aston actually lets you select bluetooth through the screen, also improves connection to bluetooth pairing and better support for Android, even when plugged in by USB to play music
Yeah, you're right. Have you used the new BT kit? The BT in my car isn't too great during phone calls. Is audio playback better?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by telum01

Yeah, you're right. Have you used the new BT kit? The BT in my car isn't too great during phone calls. Is audio playback better?
I've only done the new BT on +09MY cars, not sure what's replaced on the older cars..Aston teamed up with parrot and designed a new BT module to update the older cars..just did one today, it won't blow your socks off but does make the car modern as of 2014 standards you'd expect to see..its all OEM, so it would be like operating a 2013 Vantage/DB9 radio and streaming audio through Bluetooth. Calling was more clear for me, but I don't use the BT system as much compared to the owners, I'm just pairing to test/diagnose..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-22-2014, 08:31 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Awesome, thanks as always for the info!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 AM
LotusJPS is on a distinguished road
Anyone know the part number for the blue tooth upgrade? I've been using the Viseeo tune2air, though the new phone features would be nice.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM
V8 Vantage is on a distinguished road
iPhone 6 not compatible with iPod kit in Aston Martin

Also lemming like I bought an iPhone 6 (and the 30pin to lighting adapter from Apple) to connect to the 30pin cable in the box between the front seats in my V8 Vantage N420.

When the phone is plugged in the display on the Vantage sound system simply reads "iPod Unreadable". If I plug in my wife's iPhone 5S (on iOS7) (also using the same adapter) it works fine (and my previous 4s also on iOS7 worked very well through the OEM 30pin cable). So guessing there is a compatibility issue with iOS8 and the Premium Sound System in the Vantage. Anyone come across this or know how to resolve?

It charges the battery though with just the Apple adapter attached (no need for a scoshe adapter)

I also tried the USB using an apply USB to lightning cable -- and the display reads "USB Unreadable" Not great. Tempted to return the phone as not going to change the car. If anyone has a solution would be most grateful for ideas.

Last edited by V8 Vantage; 09-26-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by LotusJPS
Anyone know the part number for the blue tooth upgrade? I've been using the Viseeo tune2air, though the new phone features would be nice.
Don't know the part number, but here is a link to the upgrade on the Aston Martin website. It does not quote the part number, and just refers you to a dealer - but it is confirmation that they can upgrade the bluetooth unit.

http://www.astonmartin.com/en/testin...etooth-upgrade

Last edited by V8 Vantage; 09-26-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2014, 07:17 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by V8 Vantage
Also lemming like I bought an iPhone 6 (and the 30pin to lighting adapter from Apple) to connect to the 30pin cable in the box between the front seats in my V8 Vantage N420.

When the phone is plugged in the display on the Vantage sound system simply reads "iPod Unreadable". If I plug in my wife's iPhone 5S (on iOS7) (also using the same adapter) it works fine (and my previous 4s also on iOS7 worked very well through the OEM 30pin cable). So guessing there is a compatibility issue with iOS8 and the Premium Sound System in the Vantage. Anyone come across this or know how to resolve?

It charges the battery though with just the Apple adapter attached (no need for a scoshe adapter)

I also tried the USB using an apply USB to lightning cable -- and the display reads "USB Unreadable" Not great. Tempted to return the phone as not going to change the car. If anyone has a solution would be most grateful for ideas.

I am using the Scosche adapter with my Vantage's iPod cable to enable charging and then I use an Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter to plug it in to my iPhone 6. No issues at all. Works great, in fact. I am able to browse songs, albums, playlists, artists. I just hate the weird daisy chaining of cables and adapters and wish there was a cleaner way.

If you're getting an iPod Unreadable message make sure the cable(s) are properly seated and you have a good connection.

I did skip the recent iOS 8 update because I heard it caused problems with the thumb print sensor and lost cellphone signals. Did you apply the update? Maybe resetting your iPhone 6 to factory settings will fix it.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:41 AM
Thanks Progamatore, this is helpful. If you have an iPhone 6 with iOS8 working in your 2008 Vantage, then it should work in mine. At least your experience suggests that they are not incompatible (which was my first fear - as a solution would be unlikely in the short term I would think).

I can get mine to charge just using the 30pin to lightning adapter (no need for Scosche), but it just won't play music. Bluetooth link works for voice call/siri. Odd.

Cable is seated correctly and works if I plug in the wife's iPhone 5S using the lightning adapter (she is on iOS7). So cables are all ok.

Going to adopt your proposal and restore iPhone to factory settings to see if that works. Will report back. Would be interested to know if there is anyone else out there having issues connecting their iPhone 6 to their Aston Martin using the cable/lightning adapter.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Well, restored iPhone 6 to factory settings and tried again. Still refused to properly connect, but this time a different problem. Now it connects for an instant, iPod name scrolls across the display in the car's head unit, it beeps, drops the connection, then connects again, beeps, disconnects, and repeats.

I will try Progammatore's scosche adapter route. See what that does. Also keen to find someone else with an iPhone 6 to see if it will connect to rule out probability of me having bought a dodgy phone from Apple.

Have also contemplated using my old 4s to plug into the original 30 pin cable then connect it to my current iPhone 6 on VPN so the old 4s (which is not longer connected to a network) can use the 6's 4g connection to stream music. But means I will have flat battery in the network connected phone when I reach my destination if I do this.
Very annoying.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
My iPhone 6 plays music using just the Apple 30-pin to lightning connector -- it just won't charge the phone. I have to use the Scosche adapter in order for the phone to charge.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:04 PM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
shameless plug, but if anyone is looking for a ViseeO tune2air to stream your cell phone via the OEM Factor iPod 30-pin connector, I have one for sale for $75-shipped.

Used it in my V8VS and V12V. Shows songs names on the display, allows steering wheel controls and compatible with Pandora and Spotify.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:09 AM
LotusJPS is on a distinguished road
I use the ViseeO tune2air to stream music and it works very well. Though since upgrading my 5S to IOS8 I have to have the volume on the phone turned way up to get the same volume level out of the B&O.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 PM
geh065 will become famous soon enoughgeh065 will become famous soon enough
Sorry for dragging up and old thread. I've just bought a 2005 DB9 and the dealer here says it isn't possible to upgrade my equipment to bluetooth etc. Is that different to what other dealers are saying/doing? Thanks.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:48 PM
hrdlyhuman is on a distinguished road
iPhone 6 Tune2Air Unreadable

Originally Posted by V8 Vantage

For anyone else having issues with their Tune2Air with an iPhone 6 / 6s, I discovered that my problem was due to having deleted the Apple Music app. Somehow this removes the "iPod" function from the phone, which the AM iPod connector relies on. Adding the Music app back should get the Tune2Air working again. For good measure, I also added a song to Apple Music so that the interface had a starting point. After this, I was able to get my phone to play Spotify through the Tune2Air again (I don't use Apple Music at all, which is why I deleted it in the first place).

I've seen a few other messages about this in other posts, but, haven't seen anyone post this solution, so, just thought I'd make note of it in case anyone else was still struggling.