Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Lowering links.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:09 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Lowering links.

I just saw the photo's of djjoonie's black GT and noticed the comment about lowering links.
I didn't know that such a product existed. I do now and have just ordered a set from a UK Ebay outlet for just £78.99 in their Xmas sale.
Can't wait to fit them.

I'll post some pics as and when.

Les.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Yes indeed, they are easy to install and work great. Send us before and after pics once you get them installed

Old 12-20-2013, 10:35 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Will do.
We are off to England on Sunday for a week to visit the family and will fit them when I get back to France.

Cheers. Les.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:08 AM
djjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nice
Nice, can't wait to see the pics

Old 12-25-2013, 08:51 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Since I can lower my BCGT using the VAS 5054a computer, why buy lowering links? In both cases, lowering requires an alignment. Using the computer doesn't require any mechanical changes and can be reset if necessary. Can someone explain the difference?

Last edited by PMS; 12-27-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: correct computer model
Old 12-25-2013, 09:13 PM
djjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nice
Originally Posted by PMS
Since I can lower my BCGT using the VAS 5051 computer, why buy lowering links? In both cases, lowering requires an alignment. Using the computer doesn't require any mechanical changes and can be reset if necessary. Can someone explain the difference?
I guess if you have the vas5051, you dont have to buy the links.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:35 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Can one lower with vagcom? If so, which module and values for adjustments?

Also does permanently riding on lower ride height wear out shocks quicker?

Thanks!
J

Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jc_333
Can one lower with vagcom? If so, which module and values for adjustments?

Also does permanently riding on lower ride height wear out shocks quicker?

Thanks!
J
Here is a very good step-by-step for the VW Phaeton using VagCom. I assume the process is similar if not identical for the BCGT.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2055204

I'm no expert, but I can't see that lowering the ride height would wear out the shocks any quicker. My reasoning is that you're not changing the shock characteristics, just changing the travel on the link arms.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Well, I finally got around to fitting the adjustable links.
For the first one, front right, I removed the wheel to get a better idea of what I was doing. The original link was a bit of a job to get off but I didn't want to damage the sensor. It appeared that the rubber cover at each end of the link had hardened a bit with age. A squirt of WD40 would have helped.
For the left front I simply jacked the car up and turned the wheels full left lock.
For the rears I was able to swap them by just laying on the floor.
I fitted the new links set 5mm shorter than the standard setup. This has given me a drop of about an inch or 25mm, take your pick.
I did take a bit of time to make sure that the new pairs of links were exactly the same length. As it turned out, the car sat lower on one side than the other by about half an inch/13mm. That was a surprise really.
Undetered, I used the suspension raise button to raise then lower the car. Once that was done I re-measured things and found that it sat exactly the same both sides.
A quick drive around my place and it was still sat correctly.
All in all, an easy job.
I will leave it a while to see if I am happy with the amount of drop. Adjusting the new links would mean simply taking the lower socket off, giving it a 360 degree turn or two and pushing it back on. simple.

Here are a couple of before and after photo's;

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140118_143155.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	322908  

Last edited by ExSF; 01-19-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Sorry folks. Duplicated the same picture.
Here's another go. This is lowered.

Les.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140118_143155.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	322910  
Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by ExSF
Sorry folks. Duplicated the same picture.
Here's another go. This is lowered.

Les.
looks awesome! great job

Old 01-19-2014, 06:51 PM
gurdas is on a distinguished road
That looks much better, I used the same links. Also the house in the background looks lovely!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks gurdas.
That's my house in France.
Looking forward to moving back to Cheshire one day though.

Les.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ExSF
Thanks gurdas.
That's my house in France.
Looking forward to moving back to Cheshire one day though.

Les.
How many millimeters did you lower your GT?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jeff SD
How many millimeters did you lower your GT?
Disregard my post.. I just read your post
25mm..Thanks !

I'm going to lower mine using a renntech module.