Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

05 GT Transmission problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:33 PM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
05 GT Transmission problems?

Having some problems with a 2005 continental gt when it shifts gears. Sometimes when we drive the car it will jerk when it shifts gears such as from 3rd to 2nd. We check the oil in the transmission and its full. Anyone experience anything like this or know what could be the problem?

Old 02-22-2015, 10:13 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
You will have to do a special drive cycle to let it relearn the shift patterns that should stop
the harsh downshift. It's quite hard to explain and I am just about to board a plane home. I can let you know it when I get back. Btw it is not in manual

Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 PM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bentleytech
You will have to do a special drive cycle to let it relearn the shift patterns that should stop
the harsh downshift. It's quite hard to explain and I am just about to board a plane home. I can let you know it when I get back. Btw it is not in manual
Hey thanks for the reply! How do i make the transmission relearn its shift patterns? Does the transmission need to be reset or something? thanks

Old 02-27-2015, 01:16 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
you have to go through a special drive cycle, you will need a very long straight road as it is pretty hard to do, even ZF the makers of the trans know this, we use to complain to them its literally impossible to do without getting a speeding ticket. you have to drive up thru the range at 20-25% throttle and then let it coast to down shift , thats the basics but it is a bit more complicated and you may need a dealer to reset parameters in TCM.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
you have to go through a special drive cycle, you will need a very long straight road as it is pretty hard to do, even ZF the makers of the trans know this, we use to complain to them its literally impossible to do without getting a speeding ticket. you have to drive up thru the range at 20-25% throttle and then let it coast to down shift , thats the basics but it is a bit more complicated and you may need a dealer to reset parameters in TCM.

Do you think i might have overfilled the transmission oil and it causes that big jerk when down shifting? Do you know whats the correct way to check the transmission oil in an 05 continental gt?

Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM
transmission oil has to be checked with trans at certain temp, usually we connect vas and it tells when temp is right, i don't think this would cause your jerky shift. like i said this is very common on early cars and the drive cycle needs to be done as well as reset adaptive values.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:20 PM
transmission oil has to be checked with trans at certain temp, usually we connect vas and it tells when temp is right, i don't think this would cause your jerky shift. like i said this is very common on early cars and the drive cycle needs to be done as well as reset adaptive values.
Do you think the Audi or VW dealer can reset that? Because the closest Bentley dealership is like 3 hours away from me?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:12 PM
yes they will be able to,

Old 03-05-2015, 11:13 AM
yes they will be able to,
Thanks for all the replies. I contacted audi dealership and they told me they could try to reset the transmission adaptive system.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:41 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Hi turbo_secret

May I ask when you change your transmission oil did you also replace the filter?

Considering to replace transmission and differential oil as car has done around 63,000 miles now.

Thanks
J

Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by jc_333
Hi turbo_secret May I ask when you change your transmission oil did you also replace the filter? Considering to replace transmission and differential oil as car has done around 63,000 miles now. Thanks J
Hey i actually didnt change my transmission oil. I was just topping it off because the transmission was acting weird.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 PM
OIC...did it solve your problem?

Did anyone on the forum change their transmission oil or filter?

Thanks
J

Originally Posted by turbo_secret
Hey i actually didnt change my transmission oil. I was just topping it off because the transmission was acting weird.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I am just about to change my transmission AND front differential fluid. I have 55K miles on my 05 BCGT. This is purely for maintenance as I have mercifully not encountered any transmission issues. I am also changing the screen/filter within the transmission. Recently, a friend of mine with an 06 Flying Spur and 110K miles changed his fluids but didn't change the filter. I would like to flush the system, but am assured this is not necessary. In Canada at a reputable independent shop, the cost for the filter and the gasket is $350.00 (tax in). The fluids and labour will be another $350.00. UPDATE: I just learned that the fluids for the front diff weren't included in the original quote. Unlike JC 333's experience, I am told I need 8 ltrs of ATF (not 7). When I add it all up: parts, fluids, labour and taxes, the total cost is about $1180.00 (gasp). Still...a lot cheaper than a transmission overhaul.

Last edited by PMS; 04-25-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 PM
In the same position as you as it would be nice to have fresh oil as nothing last forever.

My independent quoted below prices using factory recommended oils. Filter not included as pending updated quote but IMO replacing the filter is a must. It would be like changing engine oil without a new filter.

Labor $190
ATF (7ltrs) $385
Diff oil (4ltrs) $250

Thanks
J

Originally Posted by PMS
I am just about to change my transmission AND front differential fluid. I have 55K miles on my 05 BCGT. This is purely for maintenance as I have mercifully not encountered any transmission issues. I am also changing the screen/filter within the transmission. Recently, a friend of mine with an 06 Flying Spur and 110K miles changed his fluids but didn't change the filter. I would like to flush the system, but am assured this is not necessary. In Canada at an independent shop, the cost for the filter and the gasket is $350.00 (tax in). The fluids and labour will be another $350.00 (shudder). Still...a lot cheaper than a transmission overhaul.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by jc_333
OIC...did it solve your problem? Did anyone on the forum change their transmission oil or filter? Thanks J
Well the level was pretty close but after i topped off the transmission, took it to a VW shop and they reset the adaptive setting which has helped a lot. It jerks a lot less than it used to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 GT Transmission problems?