Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softronic ECU Flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:11 AM
vick57 is on a distinguished road
Softronic ECU Flash

i flashed my ECU with softronic upgrade this past saturday. the owner of the company is scott slauson who is a PCA tech advisor for boxster/cayman. he seemed extremely knowledgeable. product is packaged as a software download -- you need a laptop for this -- and a durametric USB/OBD2 cable shipped to you.

no dynos, but i can feel more low end torque and better throttle response. i asked and scott verified that he tweaked the torque limiter and e-throttle maps, among other things (about which he remained fairly tight lipped.) 4K to 6K RPMs is still the sweet spot, and it's definitely pulling harder. at WOT EVO intake roars.

overall, car seems more willing and smoother in doling out power. using my normal heavy footed driving style yields higher speeds sooner.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Cayman Cab S is on a distinguished road
softronic support

Scott really provided great follow up service. I had him on the phone as I was test driving. The car initially had some knocking as the ECU was not expecting 91 octane. Sport Chrono is great, and no CEL which had occured with the Milltek headers. Everything is as promised.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:08 PM
hatchimon is on a distinguished road
just ordered mine...cant wait to get it!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:56 AM
mbodo is on a distinguished road
I can't for the life of me remember whose software tuning I have; it might be AWE?? Anyway, got it done down here in Santa Ana. Results on a 987S were negligible with street gas.

I had a normal "run" I used to do that was fairly controlled and fairly repeatable and pretty much required no shifting (so: many variables, except the weather conditions, were omitted). Tuning w/ 91 octane got me to a very negligible improvement. Tuning w/ 100 octane blended in got slightly more noticeable results.

Moral of the story: For me, I have yet to see software tuning for an unmodified NA car be "worth it."

I mean, any performance gain you get out of the new software will only be counteracted by the additional weight of the new software you'll be carrying around ...

Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 PM
vick57 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mbodo
I mean, any performance gain you get out of the new software will only be counteracted by the additional weight of the new software you'll be carrying around ...
i got the light bit option. reduced software weight by 50%.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:57 PM
NYSpeedRacer84 is on a distinguished road
I was thinking about software tuning as well...so basically it's not worth the $$ to get my DME programmed?

BTW...how much was the softronic tuning?

Originally Posted by mbodo
I can't for the life of me remember whose software tuning I have; it might be AWE?? Anyway, got it done down here in Santa Ana. Results on a 987S were negligible with street gas.

I had a normal "run" I used to do that was fairly controlled and fairly repeatable and pretty much required no shifting (so: many variables, except the weather conditions, were omitted). Tuning w/ 91 octane got me to a very negligible improvement. Tuning w/ 100 octane blended in got slightly more noticeable results.

Moral of the story: For me, I have yet to see software tuning for an unmodified NA car be "worth it."

Old 12-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Softronic adds the Sport Chrono, adjusts the DME to take advantage of full power of 100 octane for track, eliminates CEL if you have aftermarket cats. He is working on a program with a more efficient plenum, only for 3.4 liter . Cost is $895 for program only sent over internet to laptop. He incudes a durametric cable to install program via ECU port in cabin by driver's left knee. The Sport Chrono is worth the price by itself, IMO. Car does have more low end torque as the post mentioned. Happy Holidays, all.

Last edited by Cayman Cab S; 12-29-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:52 PM
NYSpeedRacer84 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, How much HP/tq increase is there?

Originally Posted by Cayman Cab S
Softronic adds the Sport Chrono, adjusts the DME to take advantage of full power of 100 octane for track, eliminates CEL if you have aftermarket cats. He is working on a program with a more efficient plenum, only for 3.4 liter . Cost is $875, I believe, for program sent over internet to laptop. He incudes a durametric cable to install program via ECU port in cabin by driver's left knee. The Sport Chrono is worth the price by itself, IMO. Car does have more low end torque as the post mentioned. Happy Holidays, all.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Softronic is running a sale through Caymanclub.net ending Jan. 1. Check out softronic under a search at caymanclub.net for more info, opinions. $895.00 for cable and software. Hp/torque gains are about 12/10 for 3.4 motor on 93 octane. 100 octane is about 16/don't know. Email address is Softronic.us. The program is transferable.

Last edited by Cayman Cab S; 12-24-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
I've been thinking about this mod also, along with exhaust, intake and headers.