Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guide for removal of 987 Boxster door interior door panel complete.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Cripplechicken is on a distinguished road
Guide for removal of 987 Boxster door interior door panel complete.

I looked everywhere for a guide after i had a leak on my boxster. So i have made this guide to help the next person.

Step 1
Tools you will need,

T30 TORX Screwdriver
T20 TORX Screwdriver
10mm Spanner

Large and small flat Blade Screwdriver

Step 2
The doors on the boxster contain an airbag and you should disconnect the car battery with your 10mm spanner before you dismantle the door.

Step 3
Remove the mirror switch by gently leavering it from its housing.
Dissconnect the switch and put asside.

Remove the housing by first gently levering the bottom of the housing (around the bottom edge) away from the door then secondly slide the housing up to remove.

Step 4
Remove the door handle cover by opeing the door pocket and inseting a screwdriver along the door handle, pulling away from the door to make space, before finally pulling it off with your fingers. The actual door handle stays in place and you are removing only a cover. The cover is held by metal pinch clips.

Step 5
Remove coverer cap from end of door

Step 6
Remove Door handle by pulling it to open and removing the screw in the handle using your T20, and then remove the round cover that hides the main screw.

Step 7
Remove the screws using T30, the two beind the handle are around 6cm into the door do you will need a long T30 screw diver.

Step 8
Using your fingers pull the door panel from the bottom, and work around the edges. The door panel hangs from the top edge so once it is lose you can lift it up to remove.

There are 2 wires to remove and the door handle mechanism. It is usefull to have 2 people at the stage of lifing the door panel off. One wire unplugs from the black box you see on the door, the other unplugs from itsself.

As for the door mechanism, remove the 3 screws from the rear of the door handle on the back of the panel and remove.

NOTE VERY IMPORTANT there is a water seal inside the door that if you use a screwdrviver to pry at the panel you may damage and will then have a bad water leak into the car which is the exact reason im doing this, (thanks to the previous owner). If you use a screwdriver ONLY use it to make space to get your fingers behind the panel and ONLY insert it just enough behind the panel to allow leverage.

This is what the door looks like with the panel removed. The seal that you must not damage is behind the metal panel arrowed in blue.

The Airbag is in the top right of the door and connected by a pipe, situated below is the explosive chrge.

The thing hanging down is the inner door pull mechanism remove from the door panel.

This is the back of the door panel. The round grey circles around the edge are the clips that hold then panel on.

Re-Installation is simply the reverse.

Hope you find this usefull.
Martin

Old 01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
oatmealadam is on a distinguished road
Well done, I'm sure there are many others who will appreciate this.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:45 PM
jderianSF is on a distinguished road
Great write-up. You've given a lot of very useful info, and great pics.

Thanks

Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 PM
phils1605 is on a distinguished road
Any more info on leak fix ?

Excellent write up and pictures, thank-you.

Have a leak on my 2005 987, and this is down to failure of then inner door membrane. Solution looks to be replacement of entire inner panel in order to correct the failed foam seal, was your leak down to a seal failure ? And if so how did you fix it ?