Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 spyder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:14 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
2016 spyder

Anyone have a sound clip for the 3.8 spyder? Especially with aftermarket exhaust. Thanks

Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Here is one of our customers with an Armytrix catback installed, valves closed and open. Sounded amazing in person

Old 12-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Lots of YouTube videos to hear the sound and most do it justice I think PSE is perfect. Stock exhaust has a hefty volume. Certainly not overkill. I have a 2016 Spyder.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:31 AM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
sickness...love it...the itch is there...must stop the urge..

Old 12-13-2016, 05:44 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Lots of YouTube videos to hear the sound and most do it justice I think PSE is perfect. Stock exhaust has a hefty volume. Certainly not overkill. I have a 2016 Spyder.
How do you like it? I have always liked Boxsters and the 3.8 should be a match made in heaven. Seems like the reviews are a bit luke warm though.
Also suprised its not faster, unless the test times I saw are just Porsche understatement. Love to hear your thoughts, or any other owners of the 2016 spyer.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:27 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by riverflyer
How do you like it? I have always liked Boxsters and the 3.8 should be a match made in heaven. Seems like the reviews are a bit luke warm though.
Also suprised its not faster, unless the test times I saw are just Porsche understatement. Love to hear your thoughts, or any other owners of the 2016 spyer.
It's all perspective I guess. People love to nit-pick. Some think the gearing is too tall (making for less shifting) but then again Germans make cars for Germany and there the gearing certainly isn't tall. Those same people who complain about the gearing probably hate PDK too (just a statement, not applicable to the Spyder). Compared to my '11 Spyder it's night and day in performance and functionality (especially the roof and standard technological conveniences available today). The '11/'12 Spyder are a little better looking in some ways (beautiful flowing curves of the 987 vs. squared off 981 curves) and the mechanical steering of the 987 is sublime. But the main drawback of the former Spyder is the roof. Total PITA. If you're expecting a topless GT4 with the new Spyder, it's not quite, but close in many regards. It stands alone as the supreme Boxster thanks to borrowing the motor and brakes from a Carrera S, and weighing hundreds of pounds less. Porsche could have made it quicker but it's their standard to keep the gaps as they have. Published horsepower numbers are a crock anyway. It's pure marketing. There's no truth in them. Bumping power is easy to rectify but why bother. It's a beast as is, far more so than either 997 S I owned. As for the brakes (red), they're even more powerful than my Cayman R's PCCB, and I didn't think anything would beat those. The '16 Spyder easily outperforms my Cayman R and that was a surprise, especially considering my Cayman R easily outperformed the 981 S I had prior to it. PCCB had something to do with that statement, and my R was not basic/stripped like so many are. It was $90k new and until my new Spyder, the best Porsche I have ever owned.

From my point of view, nothing beats the balance of the Boxster/Cayman, especially with sport suspension which is far superior to PASM, incredible motor and brakes, and a really unique body that's rare and will always be in high demand as it gets older. 2016 is it until Porsche decides to make another Spyder and who knows if they will. Amazing Porsche put so much effort into this car knowing it would only sell for 2 years (1 in America) and in very very small numbers. Thankfully they did as I missed the extra power of the 3.8.

The main downside is that I can't mount Bridgestone RE-11s.

Last edited by Steve997S; 12-13-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:05 PM
Steve, thanks so much for the great review. Very helpful.
So you have an option for sports suspension and no PASM or you have to order both?
It does seem most people prefer the 11/12m.y. lines. I think I like them both but I know I do want the 3.8 and the improved top.
Do you have any pics of your car with top up and down? LOve to see some if you do.
thanks again, John

Old 12-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by riverflyer
Steve, thanks so much for the great review. Very helpful.
So you have an option for sports suspension and no PASM or you have to order both?
It does seem most people prefer the 11/12m.y. lines. I think I like them both but I know I do want the 3.8 and the improved top.
Do you have any pics of your car with top up and down? LOve to see some if you do.
thanks again, John
All the Spyder, GT4s, older Spyder and Cayman R came exclusively with the sport suspension and PASM wasn't available. Sport suspension was actually a higher cost option for cars which could have either. Equals lower ride height and beefier ARBs. Also had sportier damping.

I always found with PASM that when set to sport the ride is way too harsh so no point to ever set to sport. Luckily Porsche was smart enough to allow drivers to set the engine mapping to sport without having to set PASM to sport at the same time.

With sport suspension it's taut but not overly and it's not user adjustable, just ideal all the time. There's no ordering anymore anyway. No longer in production.

I'll post some pics some time. Too dark at the moment to take some.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:59 AM
MagicRat has a spectacular aura aboutMagicRat has a spectacular aura about
The 2016 Spyder, stock, is the best sounding car I have driven. Been p*ssing about with the exhaust on my 991 to make it sound as good and not succeeded!

Old 12-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by MagicRat
The 2016 Spyder, stock, is the best sounding car I have driven. Been p*ssing about with the exhaust on my 991 to make it sound as good and not succeeded!
Did you drive in sport to experience the rev matching symphony during downshifts?

Old 12-26-2016, 01:37 PM
MagicRat has a spectacular aura aboutMagicRat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Did you drive in sport to experience the rev matching symphony during downshifts?
Sport plus I believe, but yeah. It's indecent. The only way I can describe it is that it's like a child's imagination of a sports car - the sound you used to make when running your toy whatever it was up and down the table and annoying your parents. Its
something about the NA 3.8 and then a) the engine itself being right behind you, b) the longer exhaust due to mid-engine and c) no roof in the way.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by MagicRat
Sport plus I believe, but yeah. It's indecent. The only way I can describe it is that it's like a child's imagination of a sports car - the sound you used to make when running your toy whatever it was up and down the table and annoying your parents. Its
something about the NA 3.8 and then a) the engine itself being right behind you, b) the longer exhaust due to mid-engine and c) no roof in the way.
Definitely. As for your 991, I can't remember which brand, but whoever makes the side muffler elimination loop pipes seems a worthy solution to check out. That way only the center muffler is used for sound dampening, like original 911s. I saw it recently on here but can't remember where.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM
BigBastard is an unknown quantity at this point
That sounds sweet!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.