Race The Base

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 PM
dimf is on a distinguished road
Race The Base

I am relatively new to this hobby. I was able to watch Race The Base in Cold Lake, Alberta

http://www.zrauto.ca/race-base-challenge.php

This event was organized by Zahir Rana, a fundraising event with a cool twist. He invited exotic car owners to bring their cars and try to make it go as fast as it (and the driver) could go, legally. No prize, but one of the goals is to hit the top speed of 300 kph. The event was held at the runway of the Canadian Forces Air Force Base, supposed to be one of the longest in North America.

It was cold, windy and wet (at some points) day, but well attended.

Before the run, the driver, the vehicle and vehicle specs were displayed in jumbotrons, and the announcer would announce the expected top speed. Some guys made it the exclusive club 300, many didn't. Talking about driver pressure - at the end of the run, the top speed would be displayed on the screen.

I was not able to see all the runs, but I observed that almost all of the guys who drove Ford GT-40 did very well (300-340). There were a few female participants - most of them made it to 300 kph. I would say better batting average than men,what's up with that? The highlight of the event is Zahir racing his Ferrari Enzo against an F-18 fighter jet.

After the race, most of the competitors gathered in a parking lot in Bonnyville, a nearby town. You get to touch, feel, hear and smell some of the biggest names in auto.

My first time to such an event, so many exotic cars in one place, so little time to appreciate. An awesome experience. I wonder if any 6speeder participated, I saw a few Lambos & Ferraris with US registration plate.

Here is a link to my facebook album, pls let me know if it works

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=f294d93f7d

Old 08-29-2010, 07:58 PM
S7AR is on a distinguished road
he apparently brought his CF wrapped F40 as well? some of the local forum members attended.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
It was a LOT of fun. The laser trap was 2000 ft BEFORE the lift off and braking zones, so we actually ran faster than the laser reading showed. But even without the additional 2000 ft of speed that didn't show on the jumbotrons, it was still fantastic to get into the 200mph club officially!!!!!

EDIT - not with the car that's in my avatar.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:44 PM
wow superfly, you were there? which car? personal record for you?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
This one's mine.

Yes, new "official" record for me with the 323 on the lasers. 345 at the lift point also matches an "unofficial" record.

Pretty sure I was the fastest car there running 91 octane pump gas, and stupidly, a full tank of it also

Attached Images  

Last edited by Superfly; 08-31-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Picture link doesn't work. Copy/pasted the pic from dimf's fb pics.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 PM
cool.., you're guy driving the GT-40 I think GT-40 has the fastest average as most of you guys went over 300

I think I'd seen your car in the west end (Lessard/Donsdale area) before

Old 08-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Ya, all 4 of us were over 300. 312 for the stock car, 323 for mine (pulley/tune), 331 for the 3.4 blower, and 344 for the one with a 150 shot of NOS.

Lessard? No, that might be Loy (no numbers on the side of his car) or me visiting friends.

Last edited by Superfly; 09-04-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by S7AR
he apparently brought his CF wrapped F40 as well? some of the local forum members attended.
Yeah, that was there. HAWT!!! And sounded incredible.

Attached Images