Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

anyone blackout the headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Cole
Quick teaser from today's project

Same paint you used on the wheels?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Wink

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Same paint you used on the wheels?

Yes. Duplicolor black wheel paint.

1. It was a known finish. Nice satin black. Did not want to try something else and not be happy with the finish and have to redo it.

2. It is resistant to heat.

3. I already had a can (although I bought two more to have some on hand and finish this project up, will probably use it on the remaining silver trim on my CTT).

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
Bad *** brotha!!!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Cole
Yes. Duplicolor black wheel paint.

1. It was a known finish. Nice satin black. Did not want to try something else and not be happy with the finish and have to redo it.

2. It is resistant to heat.

3. I already had a can (although I bought two more to have some on hand and finish this project up, will probably use it on the remaining silver trim on my CTT).

Cole, next task for "all things cayenne", any way we can devise an arb style lower valence in the front, notice how high up the 2 divots come, well to come up to there and still fit flush to the outside.

It would give more frontal clearance, with a hard reinforced metal valence...wish list(contained winch)....possible to build out custom lights or additional armored piping for those who go all out for tough look.......now I have a 6er so I dont fear the reaper as much on experimenting .

Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
COLE and his black paint . Can we just officially coin "Coleing" a term from this point forward? BTW brother - ur a man after my own hacking heart.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Wink

Haha, thanks Rox!

Cole, next task for "all things cayenne", any way we can devise an arb style lower valence in the front, notice how high up the 2 divots come, well to come up to there and still fit flush to the outside.

It would give more frontal clearance, with a hard reinforced metal valence...wish list(contained winch)....possible to build out custom lights or additional armored piping for those who go all out for tough look.......now I have a 6er so I dont fear the reaper as much on experimenting .
I would actually be fairly simple. If you look at the tow hood plugs the frame rails are right behind that. Should actually be able to mount a fairly robust skid up that high and mount a winch above it in the grill. .

Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Wink

I've been PMed about this several times so I'm going to post some of the "how to" pics here in this thread to keep it all in one good place.

I spent several months kinda diddling around with trying to get the lights apart. Working my way in one step at a time and finally committing to what I knew had to be done.

The glue that holds the headlight lens into the black housing does not melt like other headlights I have worked on. The housing itself will start to melt before the glue will soften and let go.

To complicate things the lens slides into a "C" shaped channel. So the lens is surrounded by glue on 3 sides. My first attempt to get the lights apart I took a dental pick and spent several hours carefully picking glue out of the channel. This still leaves 2 very strong connection points and is a waste of time.

I then tired to notch the upper part of the channel so that I could heat it, bend it back and get to the glue underneath. The black plastic channel is very brittle so also a waste of time.

Here is a quick picture of where I started to notch it with a dremel.

Eventually I figured the only way to do this was to take the dremel and just cut off the outer layer of the C channel. This gave me access to get a knife and screwdriver down in under the back side of the lens. It's still a lot of work at this point. But you can actually get to it.

Sorry the pictures are not better.

Work your way around it one step at a time, be patient and the lens will eventually come loose.

Now you have access to tape off and paint the inside of the housing.

I used duplicator satin black wheel paint. Stuff is very durable, resistant to heat and chemicals and I had a can on the shelf!

Ready for the lens to go back on ! I sealed the lens back on with 3M "Window Weld" this is the stuff that professional installers put your windshield in with. Stuff is not cheap, about $18 a tube. But well worth having them sealed water tight. I have been through a ton of rain and cold with these now with no issues of condensation inside the lens.

This is the firt one done and back in the car as a comparison. I polished the lenses after this with the 3M kit so that they both look new.

Last edited by Cole; 08-30-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 PM
daled is on a distinguished road
Wow, great write up Cole. Those headlights look great. How much do you charge for this service? :-)

Old 08-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Haha....I've got 3 of my own Porsches to feed

Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Here are some pics of mine... process was similar to Cole's but they disassembled the whole houseing and painted the Chrome parts in a black chrome finish as well as the flat black on other parts... hard to tell in the pics but you can get a good idea.....

Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Those look good.

Don't think I'm going to be ambitious enough to go back in and make the trim pieces glossy.

Who tags these threads?

Look at these tags!!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM
X5X
X5X is on a distinguished road
Any problems with condensation?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
None.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 PM
I just need to clean my head lamps for now......cole whats been the latest on an expo cayenne...

Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Thumbs up

I just need to clean my head lamps for now......cole whats been the latest on an expo cayenne...

Been too busy with this....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone blackout the headlights?