Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

wheel question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 PM
dimf is on a distinguished road
wheel question

will these fit an 09 GTS? they came from an 04 S.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...AdId=242134597

thanks
Fernando

Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Precision is on a distinguished road
You may need spacers to clear the GTS brakes

Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM
skier is on a distinguished road
I've got some old OEM 18" Cayenne rims for my winter setup and they clear the brakes. Just barely, but they clear.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM
manishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud of
running similar setup on my GTS with the 18" from Cayenne S and they work like a champ

Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
thanks guys.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
I run the same wheels on my Turbo for winter with a 30mm rear spacer.

Look at how my rear wheels fill out the wheel well compared to the one below. Also keep in mind that the GTS has the fender lip on it too.

Originally Posted by skier
I've got some old OEM 18" Cayenne rims for my winter setup and they clear the brakes. Just barely, but they clear.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 PM
thanks Cole. Actually I intend to park my GTS in my unheated garage all winter and a bit worried about flatspotting on my summers. The plan is buy this set (with worn out Pirelli snow tires) for $ 500, put it on and park. For that price, I will not have to worry about damaging the Cdn$ 750.00 ea (335/25/R22) Pirelli Scorpion Assimetricos.

I think for that price, I will only have minimal loss should I decide to sell it in the future. I had been monitoring the net for a 20" or 21" set with all season tires in the $1k range, but nothing is showing up within reasonable shipping distance to where I am.

Last edited by dimf; 11-16-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't waste my money on rims/tires just to park the vehicle. Inflate the tires to the max inflation pressure (on the markings of the tire), and move the vehicle around at least once a month. IMO flat spotting tires is kind of BS. with the construction of these new tires, might be different if they were on there for a really extended period... I have been storing my vehicles for the last twenty years or so and have never had an issue with any tires getting flat spotted.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:30 PM
thanks for the input Troy, you might have just saved me $500

Last edited by dimf; 11-22-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 PM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Cole
I run the same wheels on my Turbo for winter with a 30mm rear spacer.

Look at how my rear wheels fill out the wheel well compared to the one below. Also keep in mind that the GTS has the fender lip on it too.

Which spacers and which bolts to go with them? Thanks.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 PM
skier is on a distinguished road
So, I have my new pair of 18" 255/55 R18 Ice and Snows going on the GTS tomorrow and asked my wheel place about the spacers. He said that they would make them at around $75 a piece? Sounds reasonable to me. But I'm still unsure about whether to do all 4, or none at all due to the wheel extension arches on the GTS. Is is good/bad for the car as far as performance? Worse in snow? It would give the vehicle a wider stance for a fairly skinny tire compared to the 21" OEMs.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
If you space them out ot be about the same as your stock 21" wheels then it should have the same basic stability and put the same basic leverage on the axles.

A wider rear is desirable in the snow for stability. The narrower it is the more prone to comming around on it it would be. Not that it should be a huge issue but it would improve it.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
more tire/wheel related question

So, I decided that I will just keep the wheel set that I have on the vehicle on for the winter and just follow the suggestions to over inflate and move the vehicle once a month or so.

I had oil change done at a local independent shop and also asked the guy to check my front tires as it has been losing 5 psi per week recently. The mechanic told me that my front tires are separating and are on cords already. He said I could drive it home, but highly suggested that I replace them before I start driving the GTS again in the spring.

Since he did not do anything to fix the leak - this means I'll have to keep pump air on it through the winter.

My front tires are 295/30/ZR22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico which sells at around $500 each here in Canada and will cost me around $350-$400 landed if I buy from the US.

I searched local Kijiji and found exact a pair of matching tires for $200. I spoke with the seller who told me that

he has 10k - 15k kms on the set

the thread depth is just below 7/32 on the gauge

he replaced the set when his wife ran flat and damaged 1 tire - and decided just to replace all 4

wife is insistent on getting a new pair right away, the price of used set is very attractive - I'd seen pictures of the tires and they both look good inside & out, never been flat, never been plugged.

Question - is this pair still worth chasing? how many kms or miles do you get out of these Asimmetricos?

thanks for the input.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dimf
So, I decided that I will just keep the wheel set that I have on the vehicle on for the winter and just follow the suggestions to over inflate and move the vehicle once a month or so.

I had oil change done at a local independent shop and also asked the guy to check my front tires as it has been losing 5 psi per week recently. The mechanic told me that my front tires are separating and are on cords already. He said I could drive it home, but highly suggested that I replace them before I start driving the GTS again in the spring.

Since he did not do anything to fix the leak - this means I'll have to keep pump air on it through the winter.

My front tires are 295/30/ZR22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico which sells at around $500 each here in Canada and will cost me around $350-$400 landed if I buy from the US.

I searched local Kijiji and found exact a pair of matching tires for $200. I spoke with the seller who told me that

he has 10k - 15k kms on the set

the thread depth is just below 7/32 on the gauge

he replaced the set when his wife ran flat and damaged 1 tire - and decided just to replace all 4

wife is insistent on getting a new pair right away, the price of used set is very attractive - I'd seen pictures of the tires and they both look good inside & out, never been flat, never been plugged.

Question - is this pair still worth chasing? how many kms or miles do you get out of these Asimmetricos?

thanks for the input.

The tires come with 11/32 of tread, for the money it's a good deal, hopefully they are in better condition than your set. Pick them up would be my response, you have a minimum of one full season left on them. Troy

Last edited by snzuloz; 11-22-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:45 PM
got the used tires. I had them mounted at Kal Tire today, who charged me $120 for the two tires

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wheel question