Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne ignition coils..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
Cayenne ignition coils..

Info.... I dont know if this was posted here before so i'm just gonna pass this info(excellence magazine dec.2011 issue page 134)..

As of sept. 2010 porsche has initiateda service bulletin relating to ignition coils on MY 2003-2006 cayennes..Porsche extending warranty on the improved ignition coils for 4 years or 50,000 miles,whichever occurs first,from the first date of the installation of the IMPROVED parts.The part numbers covered are 948 602 104 07 and 955 602 101 04 plus all successor part numbers..

Bulletin also notes THAT Porsche will REIMBURSE CUSTOMERS who PAID OUT OF POCKET for these repairs if their cayenne had LESS THAN 100,000 miles AT THE TIME OF REPAIR..Customer will be required to PROVIDE a LEGIBLE COPY of their repair invoice to obtain REIMBURSEMENT>>>If you own or owned a cayenne and had to replace the coils, this may apply to you...you may want to contact Porsche customer service (1-800-PORSCHE) for further information.....

Sorry if im repeating a thread....i'm new here so pls. bear with me.........Again this info was gathered on the magazine Excellence... cheers!!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for this from everyone.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
AppleMan is on a distinguished road
I just read that article, great article. I am buying a used 04 Turbo, will Porsche replace them even if I am buying it used from a non Porsche dealer?

Regards
G

Old 12-07-2010, 05:24 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AppleMan
I just read that article, great article. I am buying a used 04 Turbo, will Porsche replace them even if I am buying it used from a non Porsche dealer?

Regards
G
As I see it Porsche will cover the ignition coils if they have been replaced (on your dime originally or on warranty), or now up to the date of service (4 years or 50000miles extra from original service) as long as there is a Check Engine Light associated with the issue. That being said some members have had them replaced without a cel being present... Looks like it's up to the dealers discretion.
Troy

Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Markenstein3D is on a distinguished road
Ignition Coils...

Originally Posted by snzuloz
... Looks like it's up to the dealers discretion.
So what's the best way to do this? ask dealerships around and hope that someone will replace these for "free"? or wait for the CEL to come-up? was thinking to call PCNA and ask.. for now, no prob (i guess) with the coils but I want to get those updated.. I thought the rough starts was because of broken coils but now its due to the purge valve..

Is this a good bargain? (If I get someone to do this), I'll pay for the purge valve and they replace the coils :-)

Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Mi2big4u is on a distinguished road
This is great news. I bought a used 06 CS last month and I have noticed in the cold NorthEastern mornings every now and then the I will turn the key and the truck won't turn over. I immediately try again and it fires right up. The battery was replaced as well as the servo sensor in the 4wd last month so now I'm worried this might be an ignition coil. What are the symptoms of the ignition coils going? I can't find it by searching through the forums surprisingly as this seems to be a big problem with these trucks...

Old 12-08-2010, 01:02 PM
PutterMcGavin is on a distinguished road
Are the coils pretyt easy to check?

I haven't looked under the hood in a while nor really researched just curious if anybody knows off the top of their heads. My CTT goes in for some minor warranty work in the next few weeks and I wouldn't mind checking these just in case.

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM
948 602 104 07 and 955 602 101 04 plus all successor part numbers.. <coil/s that are covered on the warranty

I called the headquarters (since i bought the car lastweek and not from the porsche dealership... And since im new to the cayenne/s with a limited knowledge...i have no clue on which coil/s(part) that i have...today i accessed my coils and it is the 948 602 104 01 (01??)>> it also has the beru plugs which i believe is still the original plugs so tomorrow i will be replacing the sparkplugs>>
>

Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin
Are the coils pretyt easy to check?
Super easy, takes maybe 5-10 mins on driver's side, maybe 10 more on passenger's (torque arm bracket):

(1) Pull design cover off;
(2) unclip ignition wires from coil;
(3) unscrew same bolt/screw that design cover screwed into (requires female torx I believe);
(4) pull coil out and look for physical crack down length of coil - should be pretty obvious;

I'm not in front of my car, but I think that's it... there are several good DIYs out there with pics.

Even if the coils are fine, it's worthwhile to note the part numbers stamped into coil. Older versions will eventually go bad (".03" or ".02" or ".01").

Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 PM
i had to remove the 3 screws(on each side) holding the pump and loosen the pump bracket a little bit to slide the plastic cover out..but after that its a breeze..

Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
snzulos: i cant reply on your pm..(need 15 post to reply back...i believe) sorry..

but just follow seankrider post..its that easy..

Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Mi2big4u is on a distinguished road
For the DIY'ers, does anyone have a picture of a clean, funtioning ignition coil versus one that is cracked and bad? I have some sporadic troubles with ignition and occasional rough idling and thinking about taking a look to see if one or two have gone bad...

Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
mi2big4u..

cant really tell(electronics)...In my peppers case before the one failing coil.. It starts normal..part throttle is normal but once you gun it down you really feel the hesitation and right after that it drives back to normal..gunned it down again and the engine light started blinking..when i held it to part throttle the light did not stayed on..but when i took my foot off the gas pedal the light stayed on....i just replaced a coil on mine lastweek...couple of them has cracks on the side/stem..Fortunately only one coil gave me a problem(thru scantool...thank goodnessl)....sucks co'z you need to have that check engine light(i'm only talking about coil diagnosing) to come on to know which one/s acting up(code)....coils are not expensive to replace..cost me 27.50 each!! BERU's.. shop cost...

on the other note...
Also.. i tried E3 plugs on the pepper...so far so good (drove 500 miles)...but im switching back to BERU's this coming week(warranty issue)...pepper's under 100k miles...if it starts missing again(which i hope that they all fail at the same time) cause stealer only replaces the failed coil not all and then they will pull the sales pitch(we need to replace the spark plugs)and if its the coils again it is going to the stealer's(warranty)i don't want them giving me stupid excuses that its the sparkplug/s that caused it.....

Old 12-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Markenstein3D is on a distinguished road
if the coils are cracked, should it throw a code?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:16 PM
nope..not really..the reason why the stealers wants you to have a check engine light in there..co'z they will just replace the coil/s thats giving the car the code.(i thought that they will replace all)..why i decided to just buy one instead...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne ignition coils..