Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

after market cat bypass pipes questions..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Markenstein3D is on a distinguished road
after market cat bypass pipes questions..

1. would installing after market cat bypass (fabspeed, sharwerks) cause a CEL? or is it depending on how it was installed (i mean, properly)?
2. does these need to be welded or just bolt-on? are there anything to these pipes than just being aluminum, mandrel bent pipes?
3. would there be any different if i go to a shop and have them measure and custom fit an aluminum pipe and instead of bolt-on, weld it?

thanks in advance...

Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
1. No. These replace the secondary cats after the O2 sensors. So te computer has no idea anything changed.

2/3. Much cheaper to just have a local shop build a set that bolt in, maybe welded at the back end. Kinda just preference.

Hard to see what you really get with the aftermarket pipes other than a shiny finish and a lighter wallet.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Markenstein3D is on a distinguished road
thanks Cole..

found a shop that would do an install - cheaper than me buying fabspeed, or sharkwerks pipes, but just wondering if there's something different with these aftermarket products compared to having a custom aluminum, mandrel bent pipes instead.. the sound (stock) is boring, but i don't want it too loud..

would this pipes be just an ok (sound)? or too loud? compared to just installing a CAI? i'm not after the speed, just the sound..

Old 01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
The custom cat bypass pipes are a great idea and will give you just a bit more sound, mainly at full throttle. Its not extreme at all. If you need just a little more sound after that but still want to look stock, aka "Sleeper", you can try the muffler bypass that I did. Idle will still be the same but full throttle will sound much nicer!! Just enough V8 sound for my taste!! Here are some pictures of my pipes on my wifes Cayenne S:

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor
Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Markenstein3D
1. would installing after market cat bypass (fabspeed, sharwerks) cause a CEL? or is it depending on how it was installed (i mean, properly)?
2. does these need to be welded or just bolt-on? are there anything to these pipes than just being aluminum, mandrel bent pipes?
3. would there be any different if i go to a shop and have them measure and custom fit an aluminum pipe and instead of bolt-on, weld it?

thanks in advance...
Originally Posted by Mark Brillo
Hi Mark,
I have not seen check engine lights from removing the secondary cats on Cayenne Turbo models with our exhaust. I don't know about others.

These pipes are bolt-on with no welding required.

They are stainless steel, not aluminum. They are single-piece mandrel bent and have factory flanges, correct diameter and minimal restrictions in routing. This makes the pipes easy to remove/reinstall. We also use the factory exhaust hangers in our design to be sure there's no rattling or cracking from movement. The kit we sell also includes all hardware and Porsche OEM gaskets.

thanks in advance...
In the end you will have pretty much the same power and sound gains by having a shop make pipes to fit. However, it's unlikely they will fit as well, the bends won't be as clean, and it won't be as "pretty". I can't say if their pipes will crack or leak, either. The hangers are also critical. And be sure they don't use your original parts to cut-up and make an exhaust -- replacing these are much more expensive and you may have / want to swap them out later, especially if you sell the car down the road.