My Visit to Champion Motorsports --Intercoolers/Y Pipe are Coming Out & Turbos soon

Old 08-26-2015, 06:43 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up My Visit to Champion Motorsports --Intercoolers/Y Pipe are Coming Out & Turbos soon

Yesterday I visited Champion Motorsports to discuss the work that I want them to do on my car (install the upgraded intercoolers/Y pipe, datalogging with the new mods to ensure they are functioning properly and eliminating my car's heat soak issue and possibly changing to catless exhaust).

As usual, Tom was terrific and informative. And finally some good news for those of us waiting so long for their intercoolers for the 991 TT and TTS -- they will hit the market very very shortly (as in days not weeks). They have enough finished product for an initial run of about 14 sets. Shortly they will write their instruction manual for installers and the kits will be released. These will not be cheap as they included huge upgraded ICs, a Y pipe and what looks like very upscale carbon tubing.

Here are my photos of the new IC kit parts and comparison photos of their new ICs vs the stock ICs. The Champion ICs (on the left in the pics) are a lot wider than the stock ones (on the right in the pics) and have more rows in their core -- meaning that there is a much larger surface area for heat exchange than the stock ICs.

The GIAC tune that is paired with the new ICs (I have no idea what GIAC is calling it but I would call it Stage 3) is supposed to be a lot more aggressive than the Stage 2 tune. I am told there is a significant power bump in absolute bhp and torque and that there will be a lot more power at higher RPMs (as I understand it, due to the enhanced intercooling they can push the turbos harder at higher RPMs than with stock cooling). I know what the numbers are but I certainly wouldn't scoop Champion and GIAC in putting them out. What I can say is that they are excellent and don't rely on water/meth injection, nitrous, sensor/cat-destroying leaded race gas or other techniques to get there (although I am sure with those other techniques the power would be greater still).

Can't wait until cars with these new IC/Y-pipe kits starting hitting the dragstrip so we can see the performance difference in the real world. I certainly hope and expect that the real world numbers will mirror the big gains being seen on the dyno. Maybe we will even see nines in the quarter mile in the fall when the air is cool.

They are also actively testing and datalogging a turbo upgrade. That looks to be at least a few months away from market. When I was there their test car was on the dyno for datalogging for the turbo upgrade (it had both the ICs/Y pipe and the bigger turbos installed). Should be an exciting development for those looking for the really big power.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9673.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	426877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9675.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	426878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9677.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	426879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9674.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	426880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9676.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	426881  

Last edited by sdg1871; 08-26-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 AM
kodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to behold
Wow, those look sweet! How much power can the motor and/or PDK safely hold without going boom?!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:55 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
My Visit to Champion Motorsports --Intercoolers/Y Pipe are Coming Out & Turbos soon

Originally Posted by kodiakz
Wow, those look sweet! How much power can the motor and/or PDK safely hold without going boom?!
That is a good question to which I, as a customer, do not have an answer. I do know that there is a limit to what the PDK can handle and that the turbo upgrade they are planning will not exceed it. It will be an upgraded VTG using the OEM housing as opposed to massive new turbos and housings. They recognize that there is a limit to the PDK's capability to handle power and they will not be exceeding it.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yesterday I visited Champion Motorsports to discuss the work that I want them to do on my car (install the upgraded intercoolers/Y pipe, datalogging with the new mods to ensure they are functioning properly and eliminating my car's heat soak issue and possibly changing to catless exhaust).

As usual, Tom was terrific and informative. And finally some good news for those of us waiting so long for their intercoolers for the 991 TT and TTS -- they will hit the market very very shortly (as in days not weeks). They have enough finished product for an initial run of about 14 sets. Shortly they will write their instruction manual for installers and the kits will be released. These will not be cheap as they included huge upgraded ICs, a Y pipe and what looks like very upscale carbon tubing.

Here are my photos of the new IC kit parts and comparison photos of their new ICs vs the stock ICs. The Champion ICs (on the left in the pics) are a lot wider than the stock ones (on the right in the pics) and have more rows in their core -- meaning that there is a much larger surface area for heat exchange than the stock ICs.

The GIAC tune that is paired with the new ICs (I have no idea what GIAC is calling it but I would call it Stage 3) is supposed to be a lot more aggressive than the Stage 2 tune. I am told there is a significant power bump in absolute bhp and torque and that there will be a lot more power at higher RPMs (as I understand it, due to the enhanced intercooling they can push the turbos harder at higher RPMs than with stock cooling). I know what the numbers are but I certainly wouldn't scoop Champion and GIAC in putting them out. What I can say is that they are excellent and don't rely on water/meth injection, nitrous, sensor/cat-destroying leaded race gas or other techniques to get there (although I am sure with those other techniques the power would be greater still).

Can't wait until cars with these new IC/Y-pipe kits starting hitting the dragstrip so we can see the performance difference in the real world. I certainly hope and expect that the real world numbers will mirror the big gains being seen on the dyno. Maybe we will even see nines in the quarter mile in the fall when the air is cool.

They are also actively testing and datalogging a turbo upgrade. That looks to be at least a few months away from market. When I was there their test car was on the dyno for datalogging for the turbo upgrade (it had both the ICs/Y pipe and the bigger turbos installed). Should be an exciting development for those looking for the really big power.
I will be taking my GIAC stage 2 down to Sonoma raceway for 1/4 mile times. Then I will have this new kit installed and see what kind of times I get

Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Markblackwell
I will be taking my GIAC stage 2 down to Sonoma raceway for 1/4 mile times. Then I will have this new kit installed and see what kind of times I get
Cannot wait to see the difference. I found the GIAC Stage 2 was super strong on launch but not so much by the second 1/8 mile as you could feel the ECU dialing back power

Old 08-26-2015, 09:15 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info sdg!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Cannot wait to see the difference. I found the GIAC Stage 2 was super strong on launch but not so much by the second 1/8 mile as you could feel the ECU dialing back power
I've had the same results, I've ran the Mille 1/2 and mile, my 1st mile run I hit 185 and my second run switched to race tune after initial take off I could really feel boost being dailed back and ran a slower 181. And hit a verified 193 in the mile and 1/2. A 12C and a F-12 both ran a 193 also

Old 08-26-2015, 10:00 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kodiakz
I have seen info online at ~700whp when the OEM PDK clutches start to slip.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I have seen info online at ~700whp when the OEM PDK clutches start to slip.
The tune and ICs will not be at or near 700 wheel horsepower

No idea what the turbo upgrade will produce

Old 08-26-2015, 10:32 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
The real question is what is the power threshold of the stock engine.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Thanks for stopping by, always a pleasure showing folks around the shop and giving a sneak peek behind the curtain.

Exciting times are coming for sure...

Old 08-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Thanks for stopping by, always a pleasure showing folks around the shop and giving a sneak peek behind the curtain.

Exciting times are coming for sure...
It's been a wait for the big power mods to come out for the 991 TT and TTS. I think the products will have been worth the wait. Sick of getting my clock cleaned at events by the 997 Turbos. LOL

Always great to see where some of the top drawer stuff gets developed. Did the same thing with Renntech with my E63 S AMG sedan.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:37 PM
cfpchfc1 is on a distinguished road
Interested

Old 08-26-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by cfpchfc1
Interested
I have no idea what that is.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I can tell you that we will most likely not be pushing it beyond the "safe" threshold we established with the 997.2 Turbo cars, which is about 650-675 whp.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Visit to Champion Motorsports --Intercoolers/Y Pipe are Coming Out & Turbos soon