Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2010 Engine Failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 PM
00spyder is on a distinguished road
2010 Engine Failure?

My 2010 Cayenne GTS has just 5,200 miles on it. Yesterday morning, the engine stumbled a few times and then there was this horrific metal on metal sound. That stopped after about 10 seconds, but then there was a horrible knocking sound from the engine that only increased as the revs did. Fortunately, I was only about two miles from the dealer when this occurred so I limped her straight there. It sounded like she threw a rod, but the check engine light never came on. The dealer only had a maintenance crew on hand for Saturday, so will not hear a diagnosis until Monday.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Old 01-16-2011, 02:37 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Thankfully for you it is under warranty! Usually if there is a terrible noise the best thing to do is shut it down as soon as it's safe to do so, I'm sure whatever it is it's probably completely screwed now. Keep us posted...

Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
sounds like a crank shaft problem to me

Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 PM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
rod Bearing failure........oil pump failure....just my guess....as long as its under warranty there's nothing to worry...cheers!!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Dealer called today - spun a rod bearing and now fragments scattered all through the engine. Dealer is currently waiting to hear back from Porsche on if they are to rebuild the current motor, or swap with a new crate motor. I am hoping they decide to put a new motor in - seems only fair considering the pepper only has 5K on it.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear what happened. New motor is the way to go IMO. If you have a good working relationship with your dealer I'm sure they can make it happen to you. It's all about how they paint the picture to PCNA.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
I would be really pissed if it was me and they decided to rebuild it. I would demand nothing less than a replacement, especially considering the mileage. Don't know if I would trust them to do a quality rebuild without reusing some parts that might pass someones inspection. Good luck, keep us posted on your results.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 AM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 00spyder
My 2010 Cayenne GTS has just 5,200 miles on it. Yesterday morning, the engine stumbled a few times and then there was this horrific metal on metal sound. That stopped after about 10 seconds, but then there was a horrible knocking sound from the engine that only increased as the revs did. Fortunately, I was only about two miles from the dealer when this occurred so I limped her straight there. It sounded like she threw a rod, but the check engine light never came on. The dealer only had a maintenance crew on hand for Saturday, so will not hear a diagnosis until Monday.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
WOW!! Something like this is really rare on such a low mileage motor. Clearly there is some defect in the parts/assembly of the motor. It may actually be cheaper for Porsche to just replace the motor. Honestly, if this happened to me and they only rebuilt the motor, I would unload the vehicle.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Dealer called first thing this morning... PCNA authorized a replacement motor. Now just have to wait for it to arrive from Germany. I am very pleased with their decision.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Congrats on the good news! Hopefully they are giving you a decent loaner until your vehicle is back up and running.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I actually did not take loaner despite being offered. I have 3 other cars sitting at the house so no reason to bill Porsche for an unnecessary expense. I do however have a road trip to Napa planned for the first week of February and had planned to take the Cayenne - if it is not ready I will be asking for use of a Cayenne or Panamera.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 PM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
Similar thing happened to me (on a 996)...

My 2000 996 suffered the same fate; while driving on a turn the engine shutdown. After turning back on; horrible noise just as you described. Made it home and called the dealer the next morning. Engine was shot; they replaced it with a new one (warranty back in 2002).

Dealer showed me the bill; was something like $30k. Glad warranty covered that one!

-Richie

Old 01-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Got her back this evening - she is running great with her new engine. Down for just two weeks - not bad considering what the repair was. Service Manager called nightly to give me progress updates. Overall, very satisfied with Porsche and the dealer in handling this issue.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Markenstein3D is on a distinguished road
wow!! nice service you got there.. you pretty much have a new car :-)

now.. what could've caused the problem?? is it just a hit-miss thing? or the original engine had already a problem (waiting to happen) - and it did - at 5k miles.. was there any indication? just wanting to know if there's anything that was done to prevent this from happening..

this is scary - specially that i'm nekid..

Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 PM
There was no warning - it just let loose.
Service manager said it was the first V8 failure he had seen and I also checked with an aquaintance of mine who works at Porsche and he stated there were no known issues with regard to this. The rod bearing at the bottom of cylinder #3 spun and it sent bearing material everywhere - wiping out the engine. Porsche wanted the entire engine back for inspection/evaluation. I do not think it is a problem Porsche will see much of - I think I just got one that had some sort of one off part failure or assembly issue. Every manufacturer has failures, and I can accept that. What makes the difference to me is how a company handles the situation when there is a problem - I was just happy that they handled the situation appropriately.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Engine Failure?